• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Find me a bike

cbcbd

Maybe marc just doesn't ride gnarly enough stuff... :dunce:
give em a break...
hey, some of the dogs and housewives on those rail-to-trails can get pretty nasty... and sometimes you can encounter some twigs and small branches littering the trail... you slip on those and you're done.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
give em a break...
hey, some of the dogs and housewives on those rail-to-trails can get pretty nasty... and sometimes you can encounter some twigs and small branches littering the trail... you slip on those and you're done.

No way man. I stick to the paved rec paths. You think I'd want to get my tires dirty? F'ckin crazy talk right there.

gorgonzola

Dont hit big rocks.

don't know about NE but down here in eastern pa that limit your options somewhat

bouldertrail.preview.jpg

MR. evil

don't know about NE but down here in eastern pa that limit your options somewhat

bouldertrail.preview.jpg

That looks a lot like NE. One of new riding buddies just moved up here from PA. He says the terrain (rocks, roots, ect.) of the two areas is very similar, only that we have much more climbing around here.

eatskisleep

Yep I've seen plenty of rocky stuff like that. Also Austin even if you only occasionally do some DH, you are bound to encounter rocks and things that you will hit, you aren't going to be able to bunny-hop everything every time. Sure keep the big ring on now, save money and everything, but if you hit something the wrong way, jam the chain too, you might damage more than just the big ring, I know of people who it has happened to before.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

bouldertrail.preview.jpg

.... If ya can't find at least one line through there that doesn't require bashing your chainrings into a rock... you need to practice more.

I'm not even a very good rider, but I've ridden at a lot of different place around S. NE because I've been riding regularly for a number of years (about 10) and I occasionally hit my big ring, but almost never on rocks and usually not anything that actually bends teeth, mostly they just get worn down.

Maybe I don't ride hard enough.

awf170

Yeah, I don't think you really need a bashguard for that terrain. What I always whack my chainring on are step-ups. Trying to get up a 1.5- 2ft drop without hitting your chainring is quite a challenge. Most trails in Lynn Woods have a 1 to 2ft step-up every 100 ft. or so.

tjf67

bouldertrail.preview.jpg

I dont see anything in that picture that would warrent a bash ring. If you are a downhiller I would say yeah it makes sense. I probably just go to slow so there is not need. No rocks up here in the ADK's

tjf67

Yeah, I don't think you really need a bashguard for that terrain. What I always whack my chainring on are step-ups. Trying to get up a 1.5- 2ft drop without hitting your chainring is quite a challenge. Most trails in Lynn Woods have a 1 to 2ft step-up every 100 ft. or so.

Pop a wheelie going into it. Sometimes you have to pop the wheelie and then do the little bunnie hop. Speed is your friend. Hesitation devistation. When it is to big go around I know what I can get up. I am not going to break my bike to impress anyone.

gorgonzola

ayuupp, go for for guys!!! i'll take the bash guard (and a lot of practice), you keep the $25 and the bent big ring - see ya at the bar!

cbcbd

I've bent my big ring by smashing it on a rock right to the side of the trail... had to pound it back straight after the ride so I could shift into the middle ring and not have the chain get stuck... yeah, I should've gotten a bashguard a while ago and I now I would have a brand new big ring... but alas, stupidity, cheapness, and lazyness got me then.
Exhibit A:
P1030734.jpg

yeah, popping the wheelie and then hopping is the preferred way, but not always do you clear those high obstacles completely, especially when you're first learning.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, shit, if you weren't using such a piece of crap crank...

What? What's that you say? Marc's running a RF Evolve XC too?

Shit. Never mind.

tjf67

I've bent my big ring by smashing it on a rock right to the side of the trail... had to pound it back straight after the ride so I could shift into the middle ring and not have the chain get stuck... yeah, I should've gotten a bashguard a while ago and I now I would have a brand new big ring... but alas, stupidity, cheapness, and lazyness got me then.
Exhibit A:
P1030734.jpg

yeah, popping the wheelie and then hopping is the preferred way, but not always do you clear those high obstacles completely, especially when you're first learning.

You know you are probably right about the bash ring being a good thing. I just see a guy getting a new bike and everyone start talking about you got to do this you got to do that and I say just go ride the darn thing.

Trekchick

But you want something that will be fun at Killington, since you're going this year. Unlike Justin's bike, which will be the exact opposite of fun.
In his situation, I'd have rented a couple times to get an idea what's out there.
Never been to Kton to Ride(ski only) but I hear brutal things about it!

I got the MKIII... any guesses to how long it takes for me to hurt myself so I am unable to ride it? I'm not sure that I trust myself on a FS, I'm stupid enough on a rigid that I'm scared is going to fall apart on me at any moment.

BTW, I think I'm going to convert my current bike to a SS. I'll use it for getting around college and days I really want to suffer. At least it will weigh around 20 pounds.

MKIII:
ihmk3comp.jpg
Sweeeet!
Like the others, I'll say get a bash guard. I'll probably take mine off the SS I'm building up, but then I'm trying to get my weight down to under 20. On my FS, I NEED a bash guard.

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, especially after reading 16 pages, but, what HT do you have?