• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My Experinece on a wooded peak this weekend

Mike P.

I may fill out a TR later in the week but a couple of things happened yesterday on South Carter that was kind of unexpected to me.

Weather was for 3-5 inches of snow & miserable visibility making South a perfect place to go. 19 Mile & Carter Dome trails went as about expected, trees, sheltered, trail broken out, etc.

From Zeta Pass to the South Carter Summit though, more wind got through the tree cover than I thought would, especially as I got near the top. Wind was in mid-20's with gust in low 30's. (Washington when I got down was 35 MPH gust in 40's at that time)

I spent about 5 minutes taking in the cold gray view, by the time I got 100 yards off the top, the tracks I made on the way up were gone. Now I knew this happens above treeline so thinking you can follow your footsteps back is not sound advice for Presidentials, Moosilauke, Bonds or Franconia Ridge, but I did not think it would occurr that quick in moderate wind during a light to moderate storm on South Carter

I had planned on going over to Middle Carter but any trail left by previous hikers was gone & breaking trail solo to see more gray was unappealling & I had to drive back to CT & shovel driveway so Middle will wait for another day.

Something to think about if attempting new peaks in winter...

C

Caleb

been there..one minute out enjoying the scenery, the next minute jolted by the seeming malace of the very same scenery. I try not to take it personally. C

R

RJ

I, and some buddies, will be doing the Imp/North Carter Trail to 19 Mile Trail on Friday. Thanks for the heads up.