• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nassahegan RAW, Burlington, CT - 6/24/08

bvibert

Staff member
Great after work ride today. We had to cut our plans short somewhat due to darkness, but I think the planned loop would have been doable if we didn't stop so much to figure out where we were. I can't wait to ride out there again.

Good riding with o3jeff and Greg again.

BTW - Check for ticks guys, I pulled what appears to be a large deer tick off my leg when I got home... :eek:

o3jeff

Good ride there again. I really like that place so far and there seems to be a lot more trails that we haven't hit yet.

Thanks for the head up on the tick check.

bvibert

Staff member
No pics or video?

That place has been bad for ticks. Seems like you get one every time you go there.

No time to stop for pics or vid.

I've gotten ticks two out of the last three times I've been there...

o3jeff

I appear to be tick free but my legs look like I rode through thorn bushes.

I really need to start to remember to check for them after each ride.

Greg

Staff member
Really great ride tonight. I like Nass a lot. It's about a 15 mile drive and took me just a little bit over 15 minutes to get there. I definitely plan to get really familiar with this place.

Yeah, we did the stuff on the East side of 69 based on [post="278433"]Crankfire's rec[/post] (thanks Nate!). We were a little stop and go trying to figure out those directions, but I think we got most of it right. We cruised south on 69 back to the cars instead of doing the stuff on the West side, but we did have enough time to hit a nice flowing loop of tight singletrack to the west of the parking area that Brian and Jeff have ridden before. Great little loop given the low light - nice and smooth. That would make a great warm-up/cool-down before hitting the larger loop. The GPS track said we did 5.9 miles which I think was pretty close.

Anyway, really psyched about this place. Looking forward to exploring more and learning more of it. I felt I rode pretty good tonight with a few sections fully stopping upright and doing some line corrections. I love the granny gear, but bridges still scare me. I'm such a wimp.

I checked and I appear to be tick-free, although I feel like things are crawling on me now. :lol: Can't wait for Thursday.

bvibert

Staff member
I need to remember the bug spray next time... Aside from the tick I have mosquito bites all over me... :roll:

Definitely some good stuff in there. Enough to challenge me without making me feel like a total newb. I'm thinking we should do the same loop again Thursday, maybe we'll get lucky and have some a local tour guide this time... ;)

o3jeff

I'm thinking we should do the same loop again Thursday, maybe we'll get lucky and have some a local tour guide this time... ;)

Definitely we should do it again if Nate comes to show us the right way around and hopefully we will remember it since that loop is a good after work ride.

Greg

Staff member
Definitely some good stuff in there. Enough to challenge me without making me feel like a total newb. I'm thinking we should do the same loop again Thursday, maybe we'll get lucky and have some a local tour guide this time... ;)

Agreed. It would be nice to add the section on the west side of 69 too. I think we can pull it off since we'll know the first half better. A tour guide would also help. That's definitely a loop I would like to get in my brain. Plus I want to try that silly bridge again. ;)

For the DEET, pick up some of this stuff:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/AM...-Bens-Deet-100-Max-Tick-Insect-Repellent.html

Being 100% DEET, it's probably not great for you, but I had no mosquito bites and no ticks.

o3jeff

I would say the three of us did really well last night making it up a lot of the rocky up hills and then carrying speed down that long downhill.

Greg

Staff member
I would say the three of us did really well last night making it up a lot of the rocky up hills and then carrying speed down that long downhill.

Yeah, but you two styled the bridge. I wussed out. ;)

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, but you cleaned several sections where I was flailing around... :smash:

Feel the love!

Seriously, great riding with you guys. Brian, you're much quicker than me and Jeff, but overall I think we're all pretty compatible as far as skill goes. Can't wait to see Jeff rockin' the clipless.

bvibert

Staff member
Feel the love!

Seriously, great riding with you guys. Brian, you're much quicker than me and Jeff, but overall I think we're all pretty compatible as far as skill goes. Can't wait to see Jeff rockin' the clipless.

I agree that we're all about on the same page skill wise. I just like to ride fast where I can. ;)

o3jeff

Feel the love!

Put the pedals on last night and tried them out with a quick spin in the basement, little to confined down there and already took a spill:smile:, need to definitely figure out how to loosen the tension up.

Greg

Staff member
Put the pedals on last night and tried them out with a quick spin in the basement, little to confined down there and already took a spill:smile:, need to definitely figure out how to loosen the tension up.

Stick an allen key into that screw I showed you and back it out. You should see the red indicator retract. When the red indicator is almost gone the screw will start to feel loose. Then tighten it 2 or 3 clicks. Flip the pedal over and do the same for the other side. You will probably need to tweak the setting to get them all to match to your liking once out on the trail.

o3jeff

So the red indicator should be almost all the way in? I think it might be about half way now from the factory.

Greg

Staff member
So the red indicator should be almost all the way in? I think it might be about half way now from the factory.

Yes. When the red indicator is almost all the way in, the pedals will be much easier to get out of. And yes, mine were also at the midpoint.