• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GPS recommendations?

bvibert

Staff member
That section of rock scrambling and the rock gardens probably seemed a lot longer than they were since it was our first ride through there. Sorta like driving somewhere that you're not familiar with; it always seems longer.

That and I think we were already getting a bit worried about remaining daylight, so that didn't help.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
FYI - Google Earth will directly import GPX files.
A few caveats ... if they have timestamp information on each track point (the active track log of a Garmin will, but a "saved" track will not), then you can see your track over time. However, if multiple tracks are currently visible in Google Earth and they all have time information, then suddenly the time slider will disappear. Kind of a lousy interface.
Also, I recommend upping GE's vertical elevation exaggeration to 2; it makes for a much better visual.

o3jeff

It showed up today. Just put batteries in and played with it a bit and looks like I have some figuring out to do:dunce:. Have to run out to do some stuff now, will try to figure it out later so it will be good to go for tomorrows ride.

bvibert

Staff member
It showed up today. Just put batteries in and played with it a bit and looks like I have some figuring out to do:dunce:. Have to run out to do some stuff now, will try to figure it out later so it will be good to go for tomorrows ride.

Great, now I'm going to be the only non-GPS geek on our rides... :(

Greg

Staff member
And your probably the only one that knows how to use one.

You can forget it buddy if you think I'm going to be giving you any advice...

:razz:

Greg

Staff member
And now I know why you were flipping through menus and stuff, there seems to be a bunch of them.

Most of it is fluff. For what I think you're planning to do with it, the trip computer and more importantly the tracks are the items you need to concentrate on. I'll show you more tomorrow.

Trekchick

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

It should be awesome on MTB rdes. I intend to upload each ride to Crankfire.

My plan worked, got the Vista HCx for $200.33 with tax and shipping:)

Okay, okay, I'm starting to get the urge to get a GPS for Ski season. Having read the entire thread that Greg posted regarding a GPS for MTB'ing, and having read the review from Philpug on Epic about his Garmin which he used/uses for his road trips, I'd like some input on the versatility of a GPS for different sport application cross overs, such as skiing/mtbiking.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I use my 60csx for everything: driving, hiking, road biking, and skiing. The advantage is the ability to have both routable (turn-by-turn direction calculations for driving) road maps and topo maps both loaded. The disadvantage is only one: the size is a little uncomfortable for sticking in a ski jacket; every time I'd bend over to buckle or adjust my boots, it would jab me in the stomach through my pocket. But still the best choice for an all-around, do-everything unit with excellent sensitivity and accuracy.