• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stan's tubeless tire conversion

bvibert

Staff member
I started looking into that system the other day after my last pinch flat. From what I gathered you have to add more of the sealant periodically, I guess depending on how much you ride? That seems like kind of a PITA to me. It looks like it'd be worth the effort though.

MR. evil

I started looking into that system the other day after my last pinch flat. From what I gathered you have to add more of the sealant periodically, I guess depending on how much you ride? That seems like kind of a PITA to me. It looks like it'd be worth the effort though.

True, but the kit comes with a tool so you can add the sealant through the valve stem. No need to remove the tire

bvibert

Staff member
I'd be nervous about going the true ghetto style route, it just seems a bit more hokey to me. I supposed it does work though...

cbcbd

Sweet, I was getting tired of getting flats while riding through construction zones

:D

MR. evil

I'd be nervous about going the true ghetto style route, it just seems a bit more hokey to me. I supposed it does work though...

I have been asking around and it seems more guys I know run true ghetto style w/ Stan's sealant over the Stan's kit. I think I am going to try ghetto style on my rear tire and see how it works. After several rides then I will do the front.

MR. evil

I am in the middle of converting my front tire to full on ghetto tubeless. I have the tire back on the wheel with the 20" bmx tube as a liner strip. I just pumped it up using a compressor and it is holding air with some slow leaks at the bead. Now I just need to add the Stan's sealant.

edit: just added the Stan's and the tire is holding air. Going to let it sit a while then trim off the excess inner tube

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
I am in the middle of converting my front tire to full on ghetto tubeless. I have the tire back on the wheel with the 20" bmx tube as a liner strip. I just pumped it up using a compressor and it is holding air with some slow leaks at the bead. Now I just need to add the Stan's sealant.

edit: just added the Stan's and the tire is holding air. Going to let it sit a while then trim off the excess inner tube

Cool. How long did it take to do?

MR. evil

Cool. How long did it take to do?

About 30 minutes for the front tire. You do need an air compressor to get the tire to inflate. It took about 3 tries to get the beads to catch the first time. If figure I just removed about 1/4 to 1/2 lb of rotational weight from the front tire alone.

o3jeff

Cool, I'll bring an awl to test it like they did in the video.;)

o3jeff

Were you able to get them both done? The air still up on them? I am interested in seeing what you have to say about them after a few weeks riding them.

MR. evil

Were you able to get them both done? The air still up on them? I am interested in seeing what you have to say about them after a few weeks riding them.

I only did the front so I can test it out. After a few rides if it is still working I will do the rear. I just checked the front tire and it is still full of air. I think I will go out and get a pressure guage so I can monitor the pressuer. If you do this you have to have an air compressor to initially inflate the tire. The trick is to pump a large volume of air very quickly into the tire so the beads catch on the wheel before you loose all the air.