• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone use a Jansport Goshawk 40?

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
The Jansport Goshawk 40 is a 2450 cu.in. internal frame pack, on sale at Campmor for $49.97. Seems like a good deal, but I'm hesitant to purchase packs that I haven't personally tried on. I haven't been able to locate any place local that carries them, so I'm looking for some honest reviews. The pack can be seen at: Campmor

Thanks,
Smitty

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have an old Jansport Cascade Rucksack (circa 1996) and it is outstanding. I used it for high school, college, and then hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, camping, etc. It was manufactured in the U.S. Good guarantee and good design (whooping 2900 cu in for $49 at the time). Can't find anything like it. I did have a larger external frame and had a similar experience...good value. You can always buy and send it back :wink:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I just might end up doing that. It's a pretty decent price on what seems like a nice pack. I have a small Jansport daypack that I used in high school and college that I have had great luck with. I still use it on dayhikes, but it's just not big enough to hold cool weather gear like a fleece jacket, pants, a wind breaker, hats, gloves, food, water, etc.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, my rucksack was not a basic thing....for $49 it had ice axe loops, a mesh front pocket, expansion straps, and decent hip strap. Good value. This model looks good as well. :wink: