• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Year round beer or seasonal beer changes???

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Wine puts me to sleep. Though sometimes, that's a wonderful side effect. Certain wines also sneak up on me FAST. But I don't have much tolerance anyway since I don't drink often in general.

You may stone me, but I really like Magic Hat #9. Though I did enjoy that Sam Adams White while it was out and do miss it right now.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Okay, what's everyone preference?? Does your beer change with the seasons, or are you the same one year round???

Me personally, I tend to change with the seasons. I like a "lighter" yellow pilsner/lager in the warm weather months, tend to goto a amber ale/lager in the fall, and a dark ale/stout in the winter.

Warm weather I also tend to enjoy a beer with some fruit undertones and winter I tend to prefer a beer with more of a smokey/earthy/woody undertone.

The only "constant" in my year round beer drinking is that I enjoy them REAL COLD no matter what the season.

Doc... dark ale = stout :dunce:

Also, most ales are best enjoyed slightly warmer than lagers (ales 50 - 55 deg F, lagers 38 - 43 deg F). If you don't enjoy an ale slightly warmer, you've either
1) been turned off of the idea by the ignorant beer cutlure prelevant throughout much of this country or
2) it's your preference but would tend indicate you don't enjoy the taste complexity of heavy hop or roasted grains that make a good ale taste so, thus need the cold temperature to hide the taste

Most beers that need to be consumed cold, particularly if they advertise it, generally means, there are bad flavors inside that need to be covered, as generally speaking. Cold mouth = less sensitive to taste.

Greg

Staff member
Doc... dark ale = stout :dunce:

Also, most ales are best enjoyed slightly warmer than lagers (ales 50 - 55 deg F, lagers 38 - 43 deg F). If you don't enjoy an ale slightly warmer, you've either
1) been turned off of the idea by the ignorant beer cutlure prelevant throughout much of this country or
2) it's your preference but would tend indicate you don't enjoy the taste complexity of heavy hop or roasted grains that make a good ale taste so, thus need the cold temperature to hide the taste

Most beers that need to be consumed cold, particularly if they advertise it, generally means, there are bad flavors inside that need to be covered, as generally speaking. Cold mouth = less sensitive to taste.

Translation: "I am a beer snob."

:razz:

Greg

Staff member
Translation: I have an inferiority complex. :dunce:

Meh. Most of us were drinking beer long before you old enough to be able to spell it. I was in college when the microbrew revolution started to become really popular and I sampled a lot of different ones. Drank a lot of Natty Light too. :oops: I think you were playing with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle dolls around that time... ;)

Seriously, IMO, when you start talking about aroma, mouth feel, drinkability, lacing and all that bullshit, you're starting to miss the point of beer, and that's to get your buzz on. :lol:

tjf67

coor light. Winter, spring, summer, and fall. I dont frequent food establishments that dont have coors light. I get hassled all the time by friends about my beer taste or lack their off. My response is that is one of the best seeling beers in the world somebody must like it. YUMMY its getting closer to beer oclcock

drjeff

Seriously, IMO, when you start talking about aroma, mouth feel, drinkability, lacing and all that bullshit, you're starting to miss the point of beer, and that's to get your buzz on. :lol:

+1 :beer: :beer:

If I really wanted to experience some aroma and or multiple levels of taste complexity, I'd probably use a bunch of those big 'ol wine glasses I keep around the house for friends/family and open up a bunch of the bottles of wine I keep receiving as gifts when people come over!

For me the "sensory" experience of beer is as follows: Is it in a container that says "beer" atleast some place on the label?? Is that container in a cold place?? When I take that first sip(or often BIG GULP) is it 1st cold when it hits my tongue?? Then does the "bitter" taste buds at the back of my tongue (that's where the "bitter" ones are located) start sending some messages to my brain 1st. After that sip/gulp is down the hatch, is there any secondary finishing flavor (sweet from the front of the tongue - those "lighter fruity beers" or maybe some more bitter, or heaven forbid the side of the tongue giving some feedback as a sign of a sour, skunky :eek: beer).

After that, it's just simply a question for me of do I want to have another of that type of beer, switch beers, or is it time to stop due to buzz issues??

Also, I have definately noticed that the type of beer that I drink and enjoy nowadays in my mid/late 30's has changed over what I like in the early 30's and that changed over what I liked in my late 20's and that changed ALOT from what my early 20's beer plalate enjoyed. I'm guessing that 20 or so years or rather constant "beer bathing" of my tongue has changed just a bit of how the taste buds are working ;)

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Meh. Most of us were drinking beer long before you old enough to be able to spell it. I was in college when the microbrew revolution started to become really popular and I sampled a lot of different ones. Drank a lot of Natty Light too. :oops: I think you were playing with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle dolls around that time... ;)

I still can't spell it...

I'll permit you to show me where I started talking about any of those. Pretty sure I stayed on taste, and taste alone.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hear, hear!!!! :beer: :D

+1 :beer: :beer:

If I really wanted to experience some aroma and or multiple levels of taste complexity, I'd probably use a bunch of those big 'ol wine glasses I keep around the house for friends/family and open up a bunch of the bottles of wine I keep receiving as gifts when people come over!

For me the "sensory" experience of beer is as follows: Is it in a container that says "beer" atleast some place on the label?? Is that container in a cold place?? When I take that first sip(or often BIG GULP) is it 1st cold when it hits my tongue?? Then does the "bitter" taste buds at the back of my tongue (that's where the "bitter" ones are located) start sending some messages to my brain 1st. After that sip/gulp is down the hatch, is there any secondary finishing flavor (sweet from the front of the tongue - those "lighter fruity beers" or maybe some more bitter, or heaven forbid the side of the tongue giving some feedback as a sign of a sour, skunky :eek: beer).

After that, it's just simply a question for me of do I want to have another of that type of beer, switch beers, or is it time to stop due to buzz issues??

Also, I have definately noticed that the type of beer that I drink and enjoy nowadays in my mid/late 30's has changed over what I like in the early 30's and that changed over what I liked in my late 20's and that changed ALOT from what my early 20's beer plalate enjoyed

I'm glad everyone is preprogrammed to over react to the evils of "snobbery."

Jeff, I'd like you to go back to my post and notice, because I know you're a smart guy, that I'm not talking about the taste of beer in any more of an abstract than you do in this post, I'm simply pointing out the FACT that your taste buds, like all other nerve endings in the human body, become less sensitive as they become colder.

This leads to the line of logic that you may not enjoy the strong flavors that define many styles of beer due to the FACT that you prefer to drink them cold.

It is pretty obvious everyone was looking for a beverage snob pin cushion though....

Greg

Staff member
I'll permit you to show me where I started talking about any of those. Pretty sure I stayed on taste, and taste alone.

It is pretty obvious everyone was looking for a beverage snob pin cushion though....

I touched a nerve. Mission Accomplished! :lol: Now go crack open an ice cold PBR and chill the eff out. :razz:

drjeff

Warm beer is gross..

Even though by percentage my ancestory is almost all from the British isles (I've got just a wee bit of Mohwak Indian in me too), and I've done the "warm" beer thing both here in the U.S. and over in my ancestial homeland, too me, not just beer, but all beverages are better cold - heck, I don't even drink coffee, and my tea needs to be poured over copious amounts of ice. I just don't enjoy warm/hot beverages, never have and for some reason I doubt that will changes (although I do still consume them). The closest I get to enjoying a "warm" beverage is the once or twice I year that I get together with for a family reunion and I end up drinking some Cognac room temperature at the end of an evening with my uncles.

I have no opposition to strong/multi-layered flavored beverages, but for me, they've got to be COLD. :beer: :beer:

Paul

Jeff, I'd like you to go back to my post and notice, because I know you're a smart guy, that I'm not talking about the taste of beer in any more of an abstract than you do in this post, I'm simply pointing out the FACT that your taste buds, like all other nerve endings in the human body, become less sensitive as they become colder.

This leads to the line of logic that you may not enjoy the strong flavors that define many styles of beer due to the FACT that you prefer to drink them cold.

I got your back.

I'm a beer AND wine snob.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also, just to throw this out there, anyone that thinks 50 deg F is warm, go take a swim in the ocean at 50 deg F and let me know how that works out for you.