• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hart F17 listed on al's ski barn web site

SkiDork

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but we will also be offering 125, 135 and 145 lengths too!

Phil - are those shorter ones the "T" model?

Also - you mentioned the K coaches (Matt Deb and Justin) - are they gonna be able to get their hands on a pair or 2 for demo's for the team?

Philpug

Innovative move by Hart, sell high end skis though the kids. To make the freestyle team and to place in competitions, little Johnny or Jane has to have the right ski. Puts pressure on mommy and daddy to deliver the goods else they feel guilty. Very smart, analogues to the Happy Meals McD started long ago.
Thank.s

Phil - are those shorter ones the "T" model?

Also - you mentioned the K coaches (Matt Deb and Justin) - are they gonna be able to get their hands on a pair or 2 for demo's for the team?

These will be shortter than the T models. They will be "J". These will be a lighter construction for a lighter skier. There will be an overlap at 145 (J) and 148 (T), a bigger, stronger kid/young adult will be on the T, a lighter developing kid might be on the 145 (J).

Forerunner will have demo's along with Matt, if you need something else, just let me know.

jack97

Deneen has a real "turny" style and perhaps the more defined sidecut of the F17 compliments that. Not saying I will ever be at that level, but I have a more turny style in the bumps too so I really want to get my hands on the F17.

Another guy who has a real turny style is Jon Smart, thats who Deneen reminds of when he skied that run... funny, Deneen skis differently when he's in competition.

If you get a chance, check out Smart's video, lots of good stuff in there.

Tough to argue with that. I'm a self taught bumper but plan to do a camp this season. I think I'm at the point where I really could benefit from some direct coaching.

One of the best things I got from direct coaching (in terms of equipment) is boots... the ankle flex. Check out the flex these guys have. I haven't posted it anywhere else and I'm still hesitant of posting it here. I don't know the guys but what amazes me is the flex and the shin pressure they have.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
AZ's very own powbmps and 180 demonstrate great shin pressure. They both consistently ski on the balls of their feet:

powbmps (red pants)

180 (green pants)

The two best AZ bumpers I've skied with without question.

SkiDork

These will be shortter than the T models. They will be "J". These will be a lighter construction for a lighter skier. There will be an overlap at 145 (J) and 148 (T), a bigger, stronger kid/young adult will be on the T, a lighter developing kid might be on the 145 (J).

Forerunner will have demo's along with Matt, if you need something else, just let me know.

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Iceman is a very aggressive bump skier, but he's only 77 pounds. I'm guessing he'll want to try out the J. Looking forward to the season.

Last edited:

jack97

AZ's very own powbmps and 180 demonstrate great shin pressure. They both consistently ski on the balls of their feet:

The two best AZ bumpers I've skied with without question.

Powbmps is a cool guy, skied with him last season, he put up with my hacking on goose when it was slick.

Notice the boots Chris was using? They were Krypton Pros, I'm not pimping the kryptons but I do think the cabrio design and the foward lean is the key.

bigbog

...I don't think this is the only area of life...

Innovative move by Hart, sell high end skis though the kids. To make the freestyle team and to place in competitions, little Johnny or Jane has to have the right ski. Puts pressure on mommy and daddy to deliver the goods else they feel guilty. Very smart, analogues to the Happy Meals McD started long ago.
..Not disagreeing with ya' jack97,
...But I think this isn't anything new in this materialistic society...("Those who own the gold...rule")...coming from the ski industry....or car industry, for that matter.

mondeo

Notice the boots Chris was using? They were Krypton Pros, I'm not pimping the kryptons but I do think the cabrio design and the foward lean is the key.

If you're not gonna pimp 'em, I will.

The biggest difference I noticed when going to Kryptons was how much easier it was to stand tall while keeping my weight forward. Simple geometry: the more forward lean, the farther forward your cg when you're upright from the knees up. I'm thinking about putting the bigger wedge in back next year. Love the boots, just need to get the fit sorted out a little. Also love the cabrio- allows for a stiff boot without the shin bash, and good flex characteristic.

I'm gonna let up on my reservations about the F17 for a while, maybe even until I try demoing them. I've put my point forward, and now I will let I [Hart] rest a little, or at least focus on Jack97.

Incidentally, the Elan Bloodline is (sorta) up on ski-depot.com, looks to be priced in line with other bump skis as far as MSRP goes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm far more intrigued about how a pair of Kryptos or Full Tilt Ski Boots might help my bump skiing than actual skis themselves.

I've got no qualms droppin $500-$600 on ski boots, but can't see dumping the same amount of coin on a pair of skis and bindings when 'new' old skis are readily available for half that.

To me, boots are without a doubt the most important piece of gear you own

jack97

I'm far more intrigued about how a pair of Kryptos or Full Tilt Ski Boots might help my bump skiing than actual skis themselves.

I've got no qualms droppin $500-$600 on ski boots, but can't see dumping the same amount of coin on a pair of skis and bindings when 'new' old skis are readily available for half that.

To me, boots are without a doubt the most important piece of gear you own

Evan up at Whaleback recommends them, the Kryptons and any cabrio design. Basically, my session with him was about staying forward and getting that weight up front. After my lesson, I had a bad case of shin bang, couldn't do anything steep for a week. Thats when I dediced to get the Kryptons, a local place I trust stocks them and they let me try out the flex. They had nothing my size but I found the right ones on the net for around $290.

What I'm finding out with more forward lean is that I have more range to move my hip. Kind of important for clearing them after cresting the bumps.

Here's Dale Begg Smith with flexon comp (older version of FT).... the golden standard for mogul turns.

340x.jpg

Jen Heil with full tilt
160X_ap_heil_060211.jpg

Philpug

I was in Flexons for 20 years..been in the Krypton since (before) they came out. The Krypton is a Flexon on steriods.

jack97

Here's some pearl of wisdom from John Smart, this was filmed by a poster from BMM's site. John talks about using the front of the ski. When doing that, its even more important to get that weigth forward and get the shin pressure or forward lean going.

From another thread.....

I will say, even the people who demo'ed the F17 and felt it might be too much shape (for their style and ability) said it was the fasted bump ski they ever skied.
Also, John mentions not over turning and not using the tail. I heard the same from other coaches, some have dull the edges so ski doesn't catch at all (prevents over turning). In a way I can understand why some may not like the F17 since it could have too much shape.

BTW, I'm not using this as bait, just thinking out loud, time will tell....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Evan up at Whaleback recommends them, the Kryptons and any cabrio design. Basically, my session with him was about staying forward and getting that weight up front. After my lesson, I had a bad case of shin bang, couldn't do anything steep for a week. Thats when I dediced to get the Kryptons, a local place I trust stocks them and they let me try out the flex. They had nothing my size but I found the right ones on the net for around $290.

What I'm finding out with more forward lean is that I have more range to move my hip. Kind of important for clearing them after cresting the bumps.

Here's Dale Begg Smith with flexon comp (older version of FT).... the golden standard for mogul turns.

340x.jpg

Jen Heil with full tilt
160X_ap_heil_060211.jpg

curious where you picked them up for $290. the fiance might kill me as she wants new bedroom furniture, but my boots are five years old and I'm due....

...need to try them on in a store first. from my understanding both the kryptons and full tilts are better designed for narrower feet and unfortunately mine are a bit on the wide and flat side

jack97

curious where you picked them up for $290. the fiance might kill me as she wants new bedroom furniture, but my boots are five years old and I'm due....

...need to try them on in a store first. from my understanding both the kryptons and full tilts are better designed for narrower feet and unfortunately mine are a bit on the wide and flat side

After season sale/clearance on the net.

I went to ski haus over at Wilmington MA, they had the Krypton pro and rampages. The boot fitter sized me up, they had none in my size but had ones two sizes up. I like the flex on the rampages, pros seem to stiff... granted I weigh only 145 -150. What hurt even more was that they had the rampages going for 290, pros around low 400. I have wide toes and they narrow to an average heel. Fitter said it should be OK with the Kryptons if I blindly buy the right size, the fitter even said if I got them within the month, he would tweak the fit for me... very cool of him. Once I found the deal, he added a heel lift and footbeds, seem to do the trick, I don't recall any sore spots after a day of bumping. A month later, I found another great deal, Krypton Cross for 240, free shipping.... couldn't resist so I pulled the trigger (they are still in my offce, haven't brought them home yet).

Evogear was one of the places I was eyeing, here's the page for the rampages/moro and another for the full tilt.

http://www.evogear.com/shop/ski/boots/dalbello/p_all.aspx
http://www.evogear.com/shop/ski/boots/full-tilt/p_all.aspx

Last edited:

Trekchick

If you have a wide ish foot, the Krypton may not be the boot for you, unless you have some work done on them.
They have a narrow forefoot, and a narrow to average heel.

There is more to the flex than just "flex" another distinction of the Dalbello Krypton series is the hinge point.
Take a look at the Rampage in this pic and the hinge point, next to the Nordica(randomly picked from a bunch of boots)
The hinge point definitely lends to the natural flex and is probably why most who ski the Kryptons either love them or hate them. I love mine!!!

Pics were taken from REI's web site where there are deals to be had on a few select sizes.
http://www.rei.com/category/40004332

jack97

The hinge point definitely lends to the natural flex and is probably why most who ski the Kryptons either love them or hate them.

Then you will learn to love them. IMO, the people who hate them don't like the aft/fore flex... basically thats what the cabrio design is all about.

BTW, the hinge point is slightly higher on the ft. Some of the old timer bumpers like the full tilts over the kryptons. I think you won't go wrong either way, or you can find a soft lange and play around with the boot to give you softer flex and more range.

BTW2, Deneen was on the lange, the baby blue... would not surpise me if he made the standard tweaks on them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll just have to try them on. One of the things that particularly interests me about the Krypton is the heel performance I've read about. That always seems to be my biggest issue as around the toe area my feet are a tad wide, then they taper back to narrow at the ankle, so it's always been a challenge finding a good fit there. For many, many years I simply bought a Lange that was a size up, until my last/current boot which is a Dolomite that has a fifth buckle running essentially right where the middle buckle on the Krypton runs. But, the boots are near dead, so time to scope out something new

jack97

I'll just have to try them on. One of the things that particularly interests me about the Krypton is the heel performance I've read about. That always seems to be my biggest issue as around the toe area my feet are a tad wide, then they taper back to narrow at the ankle, so it's always been a challenge finding a good fit there.

The guy who fitted me has the pros and said most of his buds are on them, he said that the dalbello and kryptons in general have slightly larger volume. And yeah, that middle buckle is great, it does lock in the heel, IMO, one of the best features of the design. Generally something most do not consider.

You probally know this, but the pro can be altered to have a softer flex and they come with a softer footbed. So you can make them into a rampage or a cross.

Along with Ski haus (salem NH ?) another place that stock kryptons in NH is golf and ski warehouse. They have the ~price i got them for.

http://www.golfskiwarehouse.com/category.aspx?categoryID=891