• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Current Ski Jones Rating

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

What ev. Just finished the 07-08 season. I actually had a meta thought before taking my "last run" in which just before starting down, I was stunned that I wasn't thinking "wow, this is my last run of the season." It just seemed so nonchalant and inconsequential. It was just another run, just another day, just another season. Then I got done that run and took one more because it was so good. What I came up with is when your season extends early and late, it is only a four month off season which really isn't so bad. And there is so much great stuff happening during the summer. And, honestly, it is actually a relief to have a few free weekends to do whatever and not constantly be planning the next big day. Hard to jones when I am sweating in my chair while typing this when it is 90+ degrees out. I'll wait until October to get excited again. For now I am going to relax and enjoy warmer weather activities and chilling out.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
And really, if some people's jones was 1 or 2 . . . why would they be online posting on a ski related website?
Good question. Probably why the Misc Forum is the most active right now. Just community and people chatting and vegging in front of a computer instead of being productive or doing something active. I sure have cut back this summer, that's for sure. I do have my occasional spurt though :D Checking forums everyday is pretty habit forming regardless of activity.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
However, a day or two ago someone over at SnowJournal posted a video of themselves skiing at tucks on July 5th, and that got me going.
[SNIP]
And for those about to suggest a trip up to tucks... no. Alas, my wife heard some horror-stories about people dieing there and now won't let me go.
Technically, that was rocket21 shooting video of Icelanticskier and me ;) but in regards to Tucerkman, I think there have only been a half dozen deaths at Tuckerman in the past decade at most and they usually either involve avalanches or people sliding into crevasses due to poor or too aggressive line selection. Essentially, it is very usual for anyone to die at Tuckerman but there are an awful lot of injuries. Start with Hillman's which is pretty mellow (for Tuckerman) and you are very unlikely to get injured (at least the usual ways... falling into boulders, ice fall, etc.). Your wife needs to do some research if she thinks the danger level is any higher than railing groomers at high speed (over a dozen deaths per year at least with that "dangerous" activity).

snoseek

8 or so for me and I'm hiking for turns on Friday. I miss riding lifts, skiing powder and working little. Summer is work time for me.

Don't get me wrong I love summer and can easily fill my time with the usual variety of activities but I'll be happy to start a new season.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
this year is a bit different for me because no south america trip. i will normally buy equipment till mid july then go to south america in august. so all i have this year to by gear and i have to be honest it aint cutting it. i find myself going out way to much and it is just way to easy being in the biz i am. the only upside is finding lots of hot girls to have dirty sex with:smile:

bvibert

Staff member
Good question. Probably why the Misc Forum is the most active right now. Just community and people chatting and vegging in front of a computer instead of being productive or doing something active. I sure have cut back this summer, that's for sure. I do have my occasional spurt though :D Checking forums everyday is pretty habit forming regardless of activity.

That sounds about right to me. I've been doing way more posting and reading in the Misc and Cycling forums than the Skiing forum.

Greg

Staff member
That sounds about right to me. I've been doing way more posting and reading in the Misc and Cycling forums than the Skiing forum.

I've been in Cycling most lately. I hang out in Misc a bit too. I've been checking out the Skiing forums more lately though. My ski jones level is in check at about a 3. I watched a few AZ vids yesterday that kinda fueled the jones meter a bit, but MTB is really keeping me balanced this summer. I would be at a solid 8+ without it.

ctenidae

sqrt( -1 )

They asked for you Jones Level, not your IQ. Or your girlfriend.

I ride around a 2 or 3, generally, until I read threads like this, when it bumps up to 8-9. That's why I stay out of the skiing forum during the summer.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
They asked for you Jones Level, not your IQ. Or your girlfriend.

I ride around a 2 or 3, generally, until I read threads like this, when it bumps up to 8-9. That's why I stay out of the skiing forum during the summer.

No time for love, Dr. Jones.

2knees

right now, its about a 20. I'm dying. i havent logged on much at home in a while but the sundown challenge got my blood pumping and then you throw in the k challenge and i realized i only skied there once last year.....

my head is absolutely filled with skiing.

Moe Ghoul

right now, its about a 20. I'm dying. i havent logged on much at home in a while but the sundown challenge got my blood pumping and then you throw in the k challenge and i realized i only skied there once last year.....

my head is absolutely filled with skiing.

better than booze filling your head, ski fantasies are something you might be able to handle. :)

JohnGD33

OK, After reading this post I am going to 10! wait 100! I am just happy I am in a three day golf tournament to keep me busy! Just think the days are getting shorter and we are getting closer to SKI SEASON!!!!!!

JimG.

Staff member
I'm cool, hovering at around a 2.

I still think about skiing everyday, but more in a "looking forward to it" mode than an "I miss it badly" one.

Workouts for 08/09 have commenced.

And I've been busy as all getout at work.

AdironRider

Just scored a job in Jackson (real world career job, who'd have thought that was possible?). Just bought a new jacket and pants. Just threw in a rental application for a ballah pad in downtown Jackson. Jones is an understatement. Im fiending like a crack addict.

AdironRider

Thanks. I really cant believe it came through for me like it did.

Although this fiending for winter could get expensive and I wont have the cash to move there. Im looking at close to 5 grand before its all said and done just to pay F/L/D and get myself out there and situated for a month or so till the checks start rolling in. Such an expensive area, so you guys dont have that to deal with. Somehow I think its worth it though...

Hawkshot99

I would say I am at a 1. It is probably from my knee surgery. I dont know how much I can trust it, and scared that it getting hurt again can seriously impact the rest of my life.

So while I love skiing, right now it scares me.