• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I am going to be one irritable B*TCH for a while..

Geoff

Those same basic anti-fluoride wing-nuts are still out there today:mad: :rolleyes:. And in-spite of what almost 50 years of fluoridation research shows with respect to decay prevention and it's SAFETY, they still get a rather passionate(albeit gullable) crowd who likes to argue with science :rolleyes:

As I like to put it to what is stereotypically a home schooling mother of about 6 kids when she refuses fluoride treatments for her kids and asks me what the consequences might be, my answer "you'll likely be paying me more $$ for fillings for your kids in the coming years" :)

You should suggest that she draw a pentagram on her kitchen floor with a sharpie, put lit candles at the points, and put the kid in the middle. Crystals and shaman chants are equally effective.

I'm always blown away by people who completely reject all the data collected by medical science. Of course, medical science also perpetuates some myths that are mind boggling. The whole AHA heart healthy diet thing is based on junk science since it's been proven that there's no correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. It's really junk carbs, obesity, and lack of exercise that cause the diabetes and heart disease issues. The AHA diet is only useful in that it's low enough in calories that you'll probably lose some weight. The AHA doesn't say a word about glycemic index and the data shows that having your insulin level jump all over the place from eating simple carbs correlates pretty well to heart disease.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You should suggest that she draw a pentagram on her kitchen floor with a sharpie, put lit candles at the points, and put the kid in the middle. Crystals and shaman chants are equally effective.

I'm always blown away by people who completely reject all the data collected by medical science. Of course, medical science also perpetuates some myths that are mind boggling. The whole AHA heart healthy diet thing is based on junk science since it's been proven that there's no correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. It's really junk carbs, obesity, and lack of exercise that cause the diabetes and heart disease issues. The AHA diet is only useful in that it's low enough in calories that you'll probably lose some weight. The AHA doesn't say a word about glycemic index and the data shows that having your insulin level jump all over the place from eating simple carbs correlates pretty well to heart disease.

Saturated fats, especially trans fats fit in there somehow as well. I agree about the dietary cholesterol though.

/Loves eggs.

Geoff

Saturated fats, especially trans fats fit in there somehow as well. I agree about the dietary cholesterol though.

/Loves eggs.

There's nothing wrong with saturated fat as long as you're getting enough exercise to burn off all the calories you put in your mouth. Transfats are bad because the chemical process to partially hydrogenate vegetable oil strips it of any nutritional value. Your body can't produce certain essential fatty acids. If you're eating transfats, your body will still crave fatty food since you aren't getting those fatty acids. When you combine that with the insulin level spikes from junk carbs that also make you crave food, it's a sure-fire path to obesity.

If you're at your proper weight, you can eat all the eggs you want. As a fat bast'd, I mostly eat eggwhites because I don't need the calories. Eggs are a great protein source. A cup of eggs is ~ 30 grams of protein. Egg whites are ~ 25 grams of protein and only ~220 calories. I eat a spinach & salsa omelet made from store brand eggbeaters most mornings.

I guess this all relates to a quit smoking thread. Most people who quit smoking end up battling a weight problem afterwards. It certainly happened with me when I quit in 1989. I wish I'd understood the benefits of complex carbs and lean protein sources sooner. I've lost 85 pounds in the last 13 months and I did it by changing my exercise level and what I put in my mouth, not by going hungry.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
There's nothing wrong with saturated fat as long as you're getting enough exercise to burn off all the calories you put in your mouth. Transfats are bad because the chemical process to partially hydrogenate vegetable oil strips it of any nutritional value. Your body can't produce certain essential fatty acids. If you're eating transfats, your body will still crave fatty food since you aren't getting those fatty acids. When you combine that with the insulin level spikes from junk carbs that also make you crave food, it's a sure-fire path to obesity.

If you're at your proper weight, you can eat all the eggs you want. As a fat bast'd, I mostly eat eggwhites because I don't need the calories. Eggs are a great protein source. A cup of eggs is ~ 30 grams of protein. Egg whites are ~ 25 grams of protein and only ~220 calories. I eat a spinach & salsa omelet made from store brand eggbeaters most mornings.

I guess this all relates to a quit smoking thread. Most people who quit smoking end up battling a weight problem afterwards. It certainly happened with me when I quit in 1989. I wish I'd understood the benefits of complex carbs and lean protein sources sooner. I've lost 85 pounds in the last 13 months and I did it by changing my exercise level and what I put in my mouth, not by going hungry.

Eggs are a great source of protein (because it's a complete source of protein) but the yolk is packed fulla good vitamins besides the calories.

I still see a lot of stuff linking some types of saturated fats to LDL production. Mostly animal (except fish) and dairy. I try to get the fatty acids through extra virgin olive oil (which I cook with almost exclusively, except the occasional canola oil for frying and sesame oil for eastern stuff) and other vegetable/plant fats and fish.

Although I don't eat nearly as much fish as I would like to because there's not one single good fishmonger left around my area and all the super markets (including Big Y, Price Choppa and Stop and Rob) all sell foul smelling several day old crap.

tjf67

Went out to Fire Island on Labor Day weekend and lit up while drinking...not good. Im smoking everyday again, but cutting down especially at work...its getting cold again to be outside. Im also working out more. I dont want to be huffing and puffing while skiing.

Im trying...anyone who smokes/smoked knows what its like to quit. Just bought a new box of patches. I ran out....and i gave in >:-(

Did you get your free patches from the NY State smokers quit line? You get I think its a two month supply. Thats 100 beans.

Yeah I tried quitting and was not successful. Take care of the huffing and puffing issue by running 5 days per week. Light up right before i start up and grab a smoke as soon as I am done. Am certain i would be much stonger if I did not smoke. It is fund in a wierd way to go out and do things stamina wise that non smokers can not.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is fund in a wierd way to go out and do things stamina wise that non smokers can not.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I used to be the same way in regards to having the stamina to do things most smokers could not in my early 20's, now in my early 30's.....not so much

BeanoNYC

Wus!

Your Quit Date is: 8/11/2005 6:00:00 PM
trans.gif

Time Smoke-Free: 1133 days, 3 hours, 14 minutes and 31 seconds
trans.gif

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 33994
trans.gif

Lifetime Saved
: 8 months, 19 days, 16 hours
trans.gif

Money Saved:
$4,758.60

NJ still paying for Quitnet premium? I've been thrown off that site a few times.