• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you "dig" out?

skijay

So how do you remove the snow from your driveway?

I have an 8hp Airens Snowblower in my garage. I love to do snow removal myself, but do not have the time and get my driveway plowed when it snows Monday through Friday.

I now use the snowblower to clean the back walkway & path to my storage shed and a path to my neighbor's house.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I had to have a plow! I can't shovel because of my shoulder...just doing the doorway killed! My new car would have gone right through this snow though.

Terry

how do you dig out

1977 chevy 4x4 with a plow------ she's a good old girl!!!!!!!!! works hard, doesn't ask for much- just a little gas, and some oil now and then!!!!!!!!!
:beer:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
A snowy day is one of the rare times I'm glad I still rent... I just brush off the car, pull out of my space into the plowed part of the lot, and go. When I get home it's all plowed out. :D

Someday I'm going to need a house, though. I'm running out of gear space!

hammer

I have a 9 YO 8 HP Murray "Home Depot Special". It doesn't do the greatest job, but it works and the engine starts right up on the first pull (when primed properly). Unfortunately, because of the way that my driveway comes up to the garage, plowing is not an option.

My front walkway is brick pavers and granite -- nothing but a plastic shovel is used on that.

My driveway is about 100 feet and the front walkway is about 70 feet, so digging out can make for a decent workout...

ctenidae

I don't have a driveway, but I use my dog to break a path out the back door of my apartment, through the alley, and to the sidewalk. Works pretty well, except for when we had the 27" dump in Boston. He couldn't get through, so I had to break trail. He's a 105 pound wimp.

Greg

Staff member
I have a 5 HP Craftsman (4 cycle). It was an impulse buy a few years ago before a big dump and I paid top money for it. It does an okay job, but I wish it had an 8 HP.

twigeater

Website
community.webshots.com
I shovel.
Lots of times I just put it in 4WD and go - this year I've shovelled less than ever as my Xterra goes through most anything. Once I didn't quite dare chance it as the bank the plow left was waist deep and 4 feet wide.
I shoulda tried it first!

Joshua B

I use my condo association's snow removal team. They're really good. First a pickup plows everything out, then a group of foot workers clean up around my garage and front door. Sometimes I even pick up a shovel and clean up around those areas.

ChileMass

My plowguy does a lousy job and charges waaaay too much. If the storm is 4-6", he charges $30 for 2 swipes of my driveway. If it's over 6", the price goes up to $45, and if he has to come back, it's $45 for each freakin' time he comes back. The 26" storm last month cost me $90, and would have been $135 if I hadn't done the last of it by hand myself. Plus, the guy never gets close to my porch and I wind up doing half the driveway by hand every time. This outfit sucks..........bitch, bitch, bitch..... :blink:

I have not bothered to go out an buy a snowblower in the past because some winters the plowguy only comes 3-4 times, and even at $30 a whack, it would take years to equal the cost of a decent snowblower ($700-1000+). So the years that I have to get plowed several times aggravate me, but in the end, I think my strategy still works.

Anybody know a good, reliable and inexpensive plow service in the Northborough/Westborough, MA area?

skijay

I remember a few years ago it was a "luxury" to get your driveway plowed and your lawn mowed.

Now getting the snow plowed and lawn mowed is common on my street. The guy that does mine charges $25 each storm. It would be more, but I am the last on his route.

In neighboring towns without a Starbucks prices for the same size driveway range from $15 to $25.

ChileMass

skijay said:
I remember a few years ago it was a "luxury" to get your driveway plowed and your lawn mowed.

Now getting the snow plowed and lawn mowed is common on my street. The guy that does mine charges $25 each storm. It would be more, but I am the last on his route.

In neighboring towns without a Starbucks prices for the same size driveway range from $15 to $25.

I still mow my own lawn, though......

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
The last few years I used to dig out with a 1978 Toro 8hp snowblower. I got sick of cussing at it every storm :angry: (it was very picky about cold starts) so I bought a 9hp Crafstman. The new one is about 1/2 the weight of the old one, and throws the snow further. Takes me about 20 minutes to clear a 60 foot driveway, and it starts on the first pull every time.

Smitty

pepsi

twigeater said:
I shovel.
Lots of times I just put it in 4WD and go - this year I've shovelled less than ever as my Xterra goes through most anything. Once I didn't quite dare chance it as the bank the plow left was waist deep and 4 feet wide.
I shoulda tried it first!

Now ask her about what she uses for cutting the grass in the other seasons. :lol:

awf170

no one shovels anymore i guess, i ussually shovel my whole driveway by meself, in the blizzard i probably shoveled for about 8 hours total. I actually like shoveling though, probably because im young. I am getting sick of it though this year with so much snow.