• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Bike Question

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I'm buying a road bike to get in shape during these increasingly long summers.

Should I get a Fuji Newest 3.0 for around $490 from a reputable bike shop?

Or a SWEEET 2003 Felt S32 Triathalon bike ($600 used) from some guy I don't even know?

I know nothing about bikes (other than some stuff I read on the internet), and I'm just looking for a first road bike to get into the sport. I do know enough to know that the Felt has superior components and the Fuji will probably be pretty bare bones.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Regardless of which one you go for, make sure it's the right size for you. Otherwise, you won't enjoy riding and may give it up before you start.

mattchuck2

Website
Right . . .

Which is why I was thinking of going with the one from the shop . . . Presumably they do that thing where they watch you ride and fit the bike specifically for you. If I got the Triathalon Bike, I'd have to dick around with it myself until I got everything dialed in . . .

MonkeyBrook

Just my two cents, but if this is your first road bike and based on your explanation...I would stay clear of the tri bike...completely different ball game with the tri bike vs. standard road bike. If you like the sport, you can alway pick up tri bike later.

Greg

Staff member
I've got a better idea. Buy a mountain bike (sorry, roadies...). :razz:

MR. evil

I've got a better idea. Buy a mountain bike (sorry, roadies...). :razz:

I am with ya on this one...... I just don't get the whole road riding thing. It seems like too much work and not enough fun.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I am with ya on this one...... I just don't get the whole road riding thing. It seems like too much work and not enough fun.

Lots of fun aspects to road riding. Here are just 3.

1) Speed. In excess of 40 mph + (and I'm a wuss...)

2) Makes you a better mtn biker. Gets you in better shape for the climbs and makes it much easier to just keep spinning over things on the big rig.

3) It's cool to cover so much ground....and of course can be beautiful scenery depending on where you ride.

And I agree with the above that the tri is probably not ideal. If you're just getting into road riding, its not necessarily the best fit for your needs.

Greg

Staff member

[post="277161"]Here's[/post] my feeling on it. It's my impression that there are many more parallels to skiing on the MTB than there is with road riding so, for me, MTB was obvious choice for finding a summer activity that compliments skiing. Sorry for the hijack.

mattchuck2

Website
Yeah . . . I think I might have more fun with MTB, but there's not many trails around here, and I don't really want to load up my car, drive 20-40 minutes, only to bike around for a while, then get back in my car and drive home.

I'd rather just take the bike right out my front door, bike 2 miles to the Mohawk-Hudson Bike path, and let it rip. Also, if I'm feeling really nutty, I might even commute on the thing. There's showers at work, it's only 12 miles and a lot of it is on that bike path.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
[post="277161"]Here's[/post] my feeling on it. It's my impression that there are many more parallels to skiing on the MTB than there is with road riding so, for me, MTB was obvious choice for finding a summer activity that compliments skiing. Sorry for the hijack.

One dimensional. :)

Trekchick

Quiver!
Get a Road bike = Front Side Carver
A Mountain Bike(preferably FS) = Big Mountain Fattie, Attack the logs and rip through the down hills
A Single Speed(light weight Hard Tail) = Mid fat Prime for single track and day to day rippin!