North Beach, Hampton, NH 7-13-2008 Surfs Up

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

North Beach, Hampton, NH 7-13-2008 Surfs Up

As my request for a surf forum and accompanying TR's fell on deaf ears, I figured I'd post my first body boarding TR here

It's been a tremendously hectic start to my summer this year. Between buying a condo, moving, getting engaged, numerous over night trips for work, renovating a bathroom etc, etc, etc, I hadn't been in the water at all until yesterday.

I had every intention yesterday of painting some trim in the condo UNTIL I read the surf report. 5.6 average wave height, 11 second dominant wave period.....sick. "By honey' I was out the door and in the car in five minutes and was in the water 20 minutes after that.

Well....what I found was the equivalent of a forecaster predicting 2 feet of Pow and you only end up with 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow. Waves were decent, but disorganized and either breaking too quickly or breaking too far out to be all that great for body boarding. Some of the 'real' surfers were doing okay with them, but nothing great. Not unusual , but the water was COLD, COLD, COLD....like suprisingly cold considering the hot weather we've had. I spent about forty minutes in the water and managed to get 2 really great waves, 4 good ones and 4 kind meh ones.

I would call it a good day, which in New England is about the best you can hope for. It's interesting how the surfing conditions in the east compared to the west kind of mirror the ski conditions. Yes we can get some epic days, but most boarder on average in terms of conditions. From my understanding west coast surfers look down on east coast surfers much the way west coast skiers look down on the east. effin' snobs

All and all, happy to be out on my board instead of behind the computer reading about you bikers Hopefully start getting out more regularly for the rest of summer.

man, you would think the bikers road Harley's the way they protect their turf

I originally posted this in the cycling tr forum

Historically, most "TRs" that didn't fit in the hiking, skiing, or cycling forum were moved to Misc.

Surfing belongs in Cali. Dude.

I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Historically, most "TRs" that didn't fit in the hiking, skiing, or cycling forum were moved to Misc.

Surfing belongs in Cali. Dude.

you stick to your sausage fest bike riding with the rest of the CLITS

Leaves more space at the beach for me to ride waves, drink beers and check out chicks in bikinis

while im not ashamed to admit that I have never surfed I did however live on Long Island for 25 years. Since moving to New Englad I came to terms with a few things regarding the great Atlantic: It is 15-20 degrees cooler then off the shores of the island in August, the waves are many feet smaller and thus not as good for surfing body surfing etc, and the depth of the ocean is different. 10 feet out on the island can and often is over your head, while 10 feet out off hampton or the maine beaches is up to my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    you stick to your sausage fest bike riding with the rest of the CLITS

Leaves more space at the beach for me to ride waves, drink beers and check out chicks in bikinis
    Nice try. We all know you're just jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Nice try. We all know you're just jealous.
    with views like this

hardly

with views like this

hardly
    That's what your view looks like? You have a nice flat tummy though...

with views like this

hardly
    Wow DHS, you have smooth legs for a dude.
    Brian

Certainly a better view than staring at the C.L.I.T.S.' hairy, sweaty asses, that's for sure.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Thread Information