• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread

Any hybrid fans???? Last year I decided to give them a try by demoing a cleveland hibore 3i. Turns out this thing was SOLID, I mean wicked solid so I bought it. Then bought the 4i, then the 5i. I know, I know, wimp is what your thinking.......but, let me tell you where I find these things absolutely amazing, and that is out of the rough. Those babys cut right thru like butter. Until now I dreaded that 210 yard shot out of the rough, now, no problem just grab my 3i and make a swing. The other impressive feature is how good my "misses" are. If I catch one out on the toe it still goes......catch a 3 iron on the toe and what happens???? Kinda looks like a wounded duck.

That is all

No hybrid for me..the dreaded 210 shot from the rough is my 5-iron..:-D...or maybe a 4-iron..I can only hit my 3-iron from the fairway or tee..My Dad is all about his 7-wood

drjeff

Gosh I miss golf. Even more than my bike. :(

Atleast Trek, you could do some of this kind of golf ;)

3d-ultra-minigolf-space.jpg

I can see they used you as their model too! ;)

Trekchick

Love my hybrids. I have a 22*, 18* and 26*. I use the 22 the most.
Hybrids are least likely to end up in the time out compartment.

drjeff, you have an active imagination. But, a good idea. Maybe I'll go play put put to keep my mind off real golf.

drjeff

Love my hybrids. I have a 22*, 18* and 26*. I use the 22 the most.
Hybrids are least likely to end up in the time out compartment.

drjeff, you have an active imagination. But, a good idea. Maybe I'll go play put put to keep my mind off real golf.

here's a mini golf gaper day for you if that's better!

Tie%20Dyed%20Ladies.jpg

Off to check the last hygiene patient of the day and then I'm stopping at the driving range on the way home to hit a bucket and see if I can get some of this wacky mood I'm in under control before to much of it rubs off on the kids tonight ;)

Trekchick

here's a mini golf gaper day for you if that's better!

Tie%20Dyed%20Ladies.jpg

Off to check the last hygiene patient of the day and then I'm stopping at the driving range on the way home to hit a bucket and see if I can get some of this wacky mood I'm in under control before to much of it rubs off on the kids tonight ;)
Ummmmmmm, those women are wearing too many clothes.

Good luck on the wacky mood. Sumthin tells me its yours to keep, and/or share. :)

Philpug

Nike CPR's here. I am not a big hitter so the long irons stay home.

drjeff

How about The Great White Shark leading the British Open at the 1/2 point! Not bad for a 53 year old "part time" golfer! ;)

I guess his new marriage is treating him (or atleast his golf game) very well!

Warp Daddy

Any hybrid fans???? Last year I decided to give them a try by demoing a cleveland hibore 3i. Turns out this thing was SOLID, I mean wicked solid so I bought it. Then bought the 4i, then the 5i. I know, I know, wimp is what your thinking.......but, let me tell you where I find these things absolutely amazing, and that is out of the rough. Those babys cut right thru like butter. Until now I dreaded that 210 yard shot out of the rough, now, no problem just grab my 3i and make a swing. The other impressive feature is how good my "misses" are. If I catch one out on the toe it still goes......catch a 3 iron on the toe and what happens???? Kinda looks like a wounded duck.

That is all

Used to really love my 3 & 4 irons and hirt them pretty well - but for some reason this yr i can't hit them for -hit so got me a 3 hybrid 18 degree and 4/5 hybrid 22 degree and my game is back on track . Love teh 3 coming outto teh rough with bout 190 -200 to go .

thinking seriously of getting a 2 Hybrid 16 degree -- ANYBODY got one ?? recommendations requested !

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just played a charity tournament today down in Townsend, MA. Great to get paid and not work but not use a vacation day. I love work related recreation!

Front nine was real ugly. Tough course being played by a team of golfers with a combined less than four years experience. Our team sent a half dozen balls into the woods and scored a seven on one particularly nasty hole. This is a scramble play from the furthest ball, mind you.

Coming around the back nine, we all lit it up. Storm clouds started approaching one hole 12 and by 13 we could hear thunder in the distance and had a slight sprinkle. We started belting the ball with long straight drives and nailing puts. The wind kicked up and the breeze was sensational. An electrifying sensation as we just kept making great shots for three straight holes. Then the horn blew, the sky opened up, and the game was up as we charged back to the club house.

Fun day. But really fun on those last three holes when the weather started to turn and so did our game. Bummed we couldn't have finished things out but had a great time. After nailing a 220+ yard drive straight down the fairway, I couldn't help but exclaim "now I am starting to feel like a golfer!" Then on my next shot, I sliced a ball into the woods that hit a tree that rebounded behind my position and "now I am not feeling like a golfer!" Another fun moment was topping a shot that went towards the water and through a pack of geese. Walking through the geese to get my ball was amusing. I suggested to my team mates that I swear I heard one of them say "nice shot, ass hole!" as I was walking away!

drjeff

Played in a chairty scramble today for my local hospital. Knew it was going to be an interesting day when on the 1st hole we played (a par 3 playing about 165yards), one of the guys in my 4 some, gets up and hits what is his 1st shot of the year. Well, he hits it right off the toe of his 7 wood, and the ball goes screaming almost dead sideways, splits the two volunteers who were watching the hole to see if anyone makes a hole in 1 and would thus win the car that his golf ball then proceeded to go screaming into the front quarter panel leaving a big 'ol dent :eek: What makes it even funnier is that playing in the group immediately infront of my group was the owner of the car dealership who put the car up as a prize! Let's just say that the jokes about "closest to the chevy" were flying all day long, and likely will for years to come!

As for the tourney, we ended up at -4, but realistically hit the ball more like a -8 to -10 round as we just couldn't get any putts to fall :mad: My 4 some had a total of 5 birdie putts that lipped out and then left 3 more birdie putts and 1 eagle putt dead center of the cup less than 1 revolution short of dropping in :mad: :mad: :mad: Can't complain too much though as I had the irons working real well today, hitting approach shots within 15 feet of the cup 9 times today!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Played my first Par 3s earlier this month. First time out was a humbling 54 on a par 27 (ouch). I quickly learned they ain't kidding about half your strokes happening on or right next to the green! Not being too sure on distances and some blind corners/lips did not help. Next round out was a much improved and more respectable 39 with my first two pars and nothing higher than a double boogie.

Decided I needed to add some wedges to my club selection so I could do better with short game pitching onto the green. I have gotten a fairly dependable and straight iron shot and can get most balls near the green off the tee on the par 3. Short game definitely needs some work. 56 and 60 degree to go along with a 48 PW. Researching golf equipment was just as fun as researching ski equipment :lol:

Well, I think I am hooked. Never thought I would see the day. One or two more rounds on the Par 3 and the driving range and I think I'll be ready for the twilight rates at my home town full course and I can start building a handicap. Sure is a nice way to pass the time during the off season.

drjeff

Decided I needed to add some wedges to my club selection so I could do better with short game pitching onto the green. I have gotten a fairly dependable and straight iron shot and can get most balls near the green off the tee on the par 3. Short game definitely needs some work. 56 and 60 degree to go along with a 48 PW. Researching golf equipment was just as fun as researching ski equipment :lol:

Riv, trust me then when I say then that you REALLY don't want to start building your own golf clubs. The possibilities are practically endless for what you can get on the entire club specification list(lofts, lies, shaft flex, grip size, etc, etc, etc), and before you know it, you'll start to build "specialty clubs" for a certain shot on a certain hole at a course you play often :rolleyes:

Philpug

I play for pure enjoyment. For me, Bogey is Par. anytime I shoot under bogey, I am happy. I don't take mulligans but I do move the ball in for a better lie. When the sand trap is mud, dirt, puddles, or anything but sand, I use my palm wedge and toss the ball out. I am not a big hitter, at most a 230-240yd drive (with roll ;)) . 4 is a great score on any hole.

Warp Daddy

Played my first Par 3s earlier this month. First time out was a humbling 54 on a par 27 (ouch). I quickly learned they ain't kidding about half your strokes happening on or right next to the green! Not being too sure on distances and some blind corners/lips did not help. Next round out was a much improved and more respectable 39 with my first two pars and nothing higher than a double boogie.

Well, I think I am hooked. Never thought I would see the day. One or two more rounds on the Par 3 and the driving range and I think I'll be ready for the twilight rates at my home town full course and I can start building a handicap. Sure is a nice way to pass the time during the off season.

STEVE welcome to the GOLF GEAR WHORE addiction set . We ARE WAY FREAKIN WORSE than ski gear whore -- QUIVERS you SAY -- PSHAW how bout boatload o crap that we can JUSTIFY cuz after all i jus T MAY ned that 68 degree wedge THAT only GOD can hit :D

YA got it BAAAAD dude -- YOU have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO idea $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

drjeff

STEVE welcome to the GOLF GEAR WHORE addiction set . We ARE WAY FREAKIN WORSE than ski gear whore -- QUIVERS you SAY -- PSHAW how bout boatload o crap that we can JUSTIFY cuz after all i jus T MAY ned that 68 degree wedge THAT only GOD can hit :D

YA got it BAAAAD dude -- YOU have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO idea $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

\
Warp is speaking the truth! Let's just not get a "golf club quiver" thread going, that would get really ugly in a hurry with the vast collection of drivers, wedges, an putters that live in my basement. Fortunately I "just" have 4 sets of irons currently in the basement and not in my golf bag :rolleyes: I wish I could say the same for the forementioned drivers, wedges and putters though :eek:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Thanks for the induction to the club, guys. I think....

DrJeff... I already noticed the possibilities of club building. Which is why I went the Pinemeadows route with my wedges (aside from being cheap) as I am tall and have huge hands, so my measurements suggested I get an extra half inch on the shaft and the "jumbo" grip. Both issues I have suspected have been problems with my grip and stance. I choose that route over getting better branded used clubs for the same price off ebay... I wanted something that fit and offerred more comfort than standard specs. I can already envision making similar changes for all my clubs :roll:

Warp, no freaking kidding! Yikes! I thought golf was expensive due to greens fees. No freaking way. Par 3 and and discounts mean I can hit the driving range and a round of golf each once per week for less than $20 total. Twilight rate on 18 holes is like $15. Less than almost any day of skiing, even on a season pass. But my initial equipment purchase of $200 for a full set has quickly become dated and outgrown. Wedges need to be ordered, I want a 5W and 5I which didn't come with my set, the putter is adequate but definitely lacking even in my newbie hands, and of course a refit of the grips and an extra half inch on all the clubs would be really nice.

The amazing thing is how people need to build their bags one club at a time with exception of the iron set. Which is nice because you can build according to your needs. But I quickly realized why only beginners clubs are sold as a set (just like with ski packages though, but definitely this ups the ante).

I wouldn't say I got it bad. Just like so much in my life, I always need to have something to obsess over (as S noted yesterday evening!!!!). My only equipment purchases at this point have been a replacement PW and a pair of wedges (definite required club needs for playing full rounds and starting to build up a handicap). I am not currently interested in building my bag any further at this point in time (though I am guilty of paying more attention to wood reviews.... I could really use a 5W!).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I play for pure enjoyment. For me, Bogey is Par. anytime I shoot under bogey, I am happy. I don't take mulligans but I do move the ball in for a better lie. When the sand trap is mud, dirt, puddles, or anything but sand, I use my palm wedge and toss the ball out. I am not a big hitter, at most a 230-240yd drive (with roll ;)) . 4 is a great score on any hole.
Yea, I am right with you there. That was really why I ultimately decided to pick up the activity. I had this vision of snotty private clubs with strict rules or whatever. My first experience was a charity scramble during which it wasn't about the strokes but rather having fun and supporting a good cause. Kind of like skiing, you have to enjoy your own game.

If playing with others, definitely important that everyone is on the same page. But I see nothing wrong with "one club length" being "one toss length" or a horribly topped 5 foot drive getting teed up a second time. Some people may say that you "are only cheating yourself" or "not playing golf if you break the rules" or whatever. But golf has some pretty stupid rules and taking a second tee shot when you topped the first one for a 5 foot dribble makes the game more fun and less frustrating.

I wouldn't take a second tee when playing with others or if the points mattered or whatever or if it just wasn't my best shot. But sometimes you just make a pathetic swing for whatever reason and you just want the satisfaction of at least having given it your best. Maybe that will eventually change down the road, but for now, I made the decision that I am playing for fun and to each their own.

Philpug

IMHO everyone who is just starting the the game, scrambles should be mandatory. It is the best way to start.