• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread

Warp Daddy

Pinemeadow is a great way to build your set then when you start !!!

I demoed a bazillion high end irons was measured then found the ONE i really liked and had Pinemeadow CLONE it

drjeff

Thanks for the induction to the club, guys. I think....

DrJeff... I already noticed the possibilities of club building. Which is why I went the Pinemeadows route with my wedges (aside from being cheap) as I am tall and have huge hands, so my measurements suggested I get an extra half inch on the shaft and the "jumbo" grip. Both issues I have suspected have been problems with my grip and stance. I choose that route over getting better branded used clubs for the same price off ebay... I wanted something that fit and offerred more comfort than standard specs. I can already envision making similar changes for all my clubs :roll:

Warp, no freaking kidding! Yikes! I thought golf was expensive due to greens fees. No freaking way. Par 3 and and discounts mean I can hit the driving range and a round of golf each once per week for less than $20 total. Twilight rate on 18 holes is like $15. Less than almost any day of skiing, even on a season pass. But my initial equipment purchase of $200 for a full set has quickly become dated and outgrown. Wedges need to be ordered, I want a 5W and 5I which didn't come with my set, the putter is adequate but definitely lacking even in my newbie hands, and of course a refit of the grips and an extra half inch on all the clubs would be really nice.

The amazing thing is how people need to build their bags one club at a time with exception of the iron set. Which is nice because you can build according to your needs. But I quickly realized why only beginners clubs are sold as a set (just like with ski packages though, but definitely this ups the ante).

I wouldn't say I got it bad. Just like so much in my life, I always need to have something to obsess over (as S noted yesterday evening!!!!). My only equipment purchases at this point have been a replacement PW and a pair of wedges (definite required club needs for playing full rounds and starting to build up a handicap). I am not currently interested in building my bag any further at this point in time (though I am guilty of paying more attention to wood reviews.... I could really use a 5W!).

Steve, I've gotten so bad with my quiver right now that currently I have only 1 club in my bag that I didn't put together myself :rolleyes: That's my driver which is one of those "big, ugly" square Nike Sumo Sasquatch. My 3-PW are all Maltby MTF forged irons
pop_alternate_view.asp

that I've adjusted the lie to between 1.5 to 2.5 degrees upright (the more loft of the iron, the more upright I've bent the hosel). All of these irons have Rifle Project X shafts in a 5.5 (basically extra stiff) flex shaft that are 3/4" over standard length and various style Winn grips (regular firmness in the 3-7 irons and soft in the 8 iron through my wedges) built up with 2 wraps of tape in the 3-7 irons and 3 wraps of tape in the 8 through wedges.
My wedges (51* 55* an 59*) are all SMT Durometers
smt-golf-smt-durometer-wedges-2.jpg

all bent 2 degrees upright with Rifle Spinner wedge shafts in the 5.5flex shaft again.
My current putter is a Snake Eyes Pure Balance M-01 putter
pythonPB1.jpg

with a Winn USA padle style grip that I bent to have 2 degrees of loft and a face that is 0.5 degrees closed.

If you haven't guessed from my techie stuff here, you can REALLY go nuts if you get into this stuff, and frankly the assembly process is quite easy. If you dare, 2 good sites for club components and assembly info are www.golfworks.com and www.golfsmith.com (click on the clubmaking link in the main menu bar on top). The scary thing that I've found is that the more I understand about each part of the club and how differences in each part of the equipment effects ball flight the more I start tweaking my equipment to the point where the amount of work I do on my skis(hand tunes every 2 to 3 days on snow and just about any base repairs that need to be done) is childs play compared to what I do to my clubs :eek::)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Whoa. I ain't got it that bad. I am lazy by default. I love having fun but I don't like doing the hard work of learning how to tweak gear. I like my gear pre-tweaked. Same with skiing. I never hand tune and only have shop tunes done once or twice a year on my gear. I just don't have the time or energy. I really enjoy learning about gear but no way and I putting together clubs by hand, lol.

So drjeff, how has your golf game improved or handicap lowered since you made all those tweaks to your home build clubs? :stirpot:

My Dad is a golf club whore like Dr. Jeff so I get alot of his hand me downs. Recently when he bought a new putter he tried out about 10 different putters without looking at price because he didn't want the cost to affect his decision. They all ended up being between $80 and $300 and he ended up liking the 2nd cheapest putter the best. He's all about the Nike Supersoft golf balls and since he plays alot of golf..he always hooks me up with balls he finds on the course. I haven't bought any golf balls in like 5 years. At a recent outing..he got two dozen Titliest Pro V 1's which I'm using now. I tee off with a 12 degree driver..it really boots the ball up and is great on holes where I want to cut a corner and go over trees. I'd like to buy a driver with a little less loft. Anybody carry two drivers in their bag? I feel like I can get rid of my 5-wood since I rarely use it..to make room for a 2nd driver.

Philpug

GSS,

Using ProV1's with a 12 deg driver is like using a intermediate ski boots with race skis, or something like that, it just doesn't match up and you will be loosing efficiency. A Pro V1 expects a 100+ MPH swing speed and a low spin rate. You might have the swing speed, but a 12 deg will create too much spin for that ball.

As far as the square NIKE Sumos', I played with the Sumo2 5900 over the weekend...nice club..hear that Santa?

drjeff

GSS,

As far as the square NIKE Sumos', I played with the Sumo2 5900 over the weekend...nice club..hear that Santa?

And I Hart, you gotta agree that you just can't beat the sound that the sumo makes! Kind of like an aluminum baseball bat smacking an aluminum can. The first time I hit mine was at an indoor range and that sound just reverberated all throughout the range!
Really cool :)

drjeff

Whoa. I ain't got it that bad. I am lazy by default. I love having fun but I don't like doing the hard work of learning how to tweak gear. I like my gear pre-tweaked. Same with skiing. I never hand tune and only have shop tunes done once or twice a year on my gear. I just don't have the time or energy. I really enjoy learning about gear but no way and I putting together clubs by hand, lol.

So drjeff, how has your golf game improved or handicap lowered since you made all those tweaks to your home build clubs? :stirpot:

Handicap wise, when I first got the "club building bug" I was playing to about a 6 or 7 and religously playing atleast once a week and hitting the range and/or playing atleast once, if not twice more per week(this was in my pre kid days). Nowadays, with my self built/tweaked set of sticks in the bag, my handicap index is at 5.4 currently, but if I'm lucky I'll play once a week(I've been averaging basically 3 rounds a month this season) and I've only been to the range 1 time this entire golf season. So I have shown some improvement in the handicap department, and with ALOT less golf time. Who knows, maybe its a pure psychological thing where I just feel very comfortable with my clubs now, or maybe it's just that I think my way around the course better now, or maybe it's actually the equipment. I can say for a fact though that since I did start building my clubs, that on purpose, I've put together clubs that purposely help me hit the ball with a lower ball flight, and that has made a difference for the better for my game.

It can get real addictive if you get the "golf geek" bug :)

GSS,

Using ProV1's with a 12 deg driver is like using a intermediate ski boots with race skis, or something like that, it just doesn't match up and you will be loosing efficiency. A Pro V1 expects a 100+ MPH swing speed and a low spin rate. You might have the swing speed, but a 12 deg will create too much spin for that ball.

But only 12-14 shots in a round of golf are with a driver..I feel like I hit the Pro-V1 farther than with a Nike ball or Noodle..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I feel like I can get rid of my 5-wood since I rarely use it..to make room for a 2nd driver.
I'll trade you my driver for your 5W :lol: I am much more consistent with my 3W than my driver and get similar distances with both clubs. I usually take the accuracy of the 3W rather than a few extra yards if I get a lucky shot. With that in mind and my lack of skill hitting hybrids, I think the 5W could potentially be my "go to" club in my bag. Especially for short yardage tee shots on which even a 3W would be over kill, let alone a driver.

Philpug

Played today and had one of my best rounds in a long time. I have scored better than today, but I don't remember hitting the ball so consistent, It has been a long time since I drove so well.

12 bogies
1 dble bogie
4 pars
1 birdie

Played today and had one of my best rounds in a long time. I have scored better than today, but I don't remember hitting the ball so consistent, It has been a long time since I drove so well.

12 bogies
1 dble bogie
4 pars
1 birdie

85??? I play the best when it's a fast pace..If the pace is slow..then I have trouble..3 hour rounds are ideal..but rare unless I get out first group of the day..

drjeff

85??? I play the best when it's a fast pace..If the pace is slow..then I have trouble..3 hour rounds are ideal..but rare unless I get out first group of the day..

Amen on the quick round thing! If things fall into place correctly on many Monday AM's, I can drop my son of at Daycare right at 7AM, make it to my local course and be teed off by 7:20 and very often I'll have 18 holes done by 9:15 at the latest! My 18 hole speed record this year is an hour and 41 minutes. My personal favorite speed day though was a couple of November's ago, I played 36 holes in 3 hours and 50 minutes. Speed golf rules!

Unfortunately, I have a scramble this Sunday with a full field of 36 4somes and time wise that has 5 and a half hours writeen all over it :mad:

ChileMass

.......My 18 hole speed record this year is an hour and 41 minutes. My personal favorite speed day though was a couple of November's ago, I played 36 holes in 3 hours and 50 minutes. Speed golf rules!

Whew - you don't even have time for a beer at that pace! Sounds like fun, though. I'd much rather play really fast than do a 6-hour round......

ChileMass

I shoot in the low 90s and can occasionally get into the 80s. I've been playing since high school, but have never played enough to really improve. I love the game, though. I go with 15-20 knuckleheads every year to SC or FL for a boys' long weekend, and it's always a highlight of the year. I've played all over the US and even played a couple times in Sweden, of all places.

My favorite course is in the southern Adirondacks just outside Saratoga - Brookhaven Golf Club. It's a shorter course (less than 6000 yards from the middle tees), but it's beautiful, has some challenge and is still very affordable. Plus the location 8 miles from Saratoga is great. And I grew up working there in high school, so I admit I'm biased.

If you're playing around Lake George, you should check out the views of the lake the Top of the World course - very distracting while you're trying to play.

I'm in for the AZ golf tournament.........

drjeff

I shoot in the low 90s and can occasionally get into the 80s. I've been playing since high school, but have never played enough to really improve. I love the game, though. I go with 15-20 knuckleheads every year to SC or FL for a boys' long weekend, and it's always a highlight of the year. I've played all over the US and even played a couple times in Sweden, of all places.

My favorite course is in the southern Adirondacks just outside Saratoga - Brookhaven Golf Club. It's a shorter course (less than 6000 yards from the middle tees), but it's beautiful, has some challenge and is still very affordable. Plus the location 8 miles from Saratoga is great. And I grew up working there in high school, so I admit I'm biased.

If you're playing around Lake George, you should check out the views of the lake the Top of the World course - very distracting while you're trying to play.

I'm in for the AZ golf tournament.........

Brookhaven is a cool course. Played there a few times in High School tournaments (I grew up in Clifton Park). Just absolutely gorgeous scenery there in the fall.

Amen on the quick round thing! If things fall into place correctly on many Monday AM's, I can drop my son of at Daycare right at 7AM, make it to my local course and be teed off by 7:20 and very often I'll have 18 holes done by 9:15 at the latest! My 18 hole speed record this year is an hour and 41 minutes. My personal favorite speed day though was a couple of November's ago, I played 36 holes in 3 hours and 50 minutes. Speed golf rules!

Unfortunately, I have a scramble this Sunday with a full field of 36 4somes and time wise that has 5 and a half hours writeen all over it :mad:

mad steezy yo..amazing that you can be the first group out at 7:20AM..around here it's like the second it's not pitch black..lol....scrambles are so freakin slow due to all the once or twice a year golfers..and practice swings are for nubs..