• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread

drjeff

SWIG LUBE --- NEED MONDO SWING LUBE and some HAPPY Meals too

Swing lube is such great stuff! Just the right amount will keep things nice and mellow, BUT if your game still sucks with the swing lube, then you can have LOTS of swing lube and forget how much your game sucks!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
After watching some more online instruction, hit the range again today and was feeling much better about myself. Really focused on a slower back swing and more of a whipping "swing" instead of a just swinging the club. Tough to find the balance between loosening up a bit and being too loose. But I hit some really good shots. Made sure I wasn't trying to kill the ball. My distance decreased but I hit some really pretty and straight iron shots off the deck.

Wood work is worse than ever with huge slices, almost as bad as my driver. I used to get 1/3 3Ws straight more or less. I am finding that my hands seem to be slipping around impact. When I pull back the club to the impact point after hitting the ball, the club face is way closed. I feel my grip pressure is good, perhaps even too tight. Wondering if grip size may be an issue as I really enjoy the feel of my new clubs with jumbo grips. Or perhaps it is grip texture? My regular grips are cheap beginner trash.

Any ways, will head back to the par 3 this weekend. My next trip to the driving range will be a focus on Teeing off, particularly with the 3W. I need to dial in that tee swing before I feel comfortable playing a full course. I can almost trust my iron play I think... so long as I can remember to relax, pivot without excessive weight transfer, keep that left arm straight, and "swing" instead of trying to hit the ball.... nice and easy.

Philpug

Played 9 today. AlI was in the traps more today on 9 holes than I was all summer combined, 7 traps on 9 holes. Yeah, it was that bad.

l I can say is as fast as it comes, it goes just as fast.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think I figured out my issue after analyzing my swing mentally. I don't think my wrists are "turning over" correctly at impact would be my best guess. I suspect choking down on the club a half inch or so will substantially help my ability to make better contact with a squared up club head at impact. Can't wait to try that this weekend.

That is one of the things I find interesting about the game.... all these very detailed and precise mechanics all have to be just right at the same time throughout the course of a swing to make solid contact. At first I thought swing inconsistencies would be annoying. But rather they have become obsessive! And you cure one issue and then find two more.

Funny story. When I played little league baseball, the coach always told me to "choke up" but never explained what that meant. I thought it might to squeeze the club tighter and grip the club at the very end of the handle. In three years of little league ball, I got two or three "hits" on the scoreboard (though I often made infield dribblers for throw outs at first). Years after playing little league, I finally learned that choke up literally meant to slide that grip further up the bat. I hit a lot better after learning that tip. My wrists never broke correctly so I could never make contact with the ball. If only the coach had explained to me that I had been doing the exact opposite of what he was telling me to do!!

drjeff

I think I figured out my issue after analyzing my swing mentally. I don't think my wrists are "turning over" correctly at impact would be my best guess. I suspect choking down on the club a half inch or so will substantially help my ability to make better contact with a squared up club head at impact. Can't wait to try that this weekend.

That is one of the things I find interesting about the game.... all these very detailed and precise mechanics all have to be just right at the same time throughout the course of a swing to make solid contact. At first I thought swing inconsistencies would be annoying. But rather they have become obsessive! And you cure one issue and then find two more.

Funny story. When I played little league baseball, the coach always told me to "choke up" but never explained what that meant. I thought it might to squeeze the club tighter and grip the club at the very end of the handle. In three years of little league ball, I got two or three "hits" on the scoreboard (though I often made infield dribblers for throw outs at first). Years after playing little league, I finally learned that choke up literally meant to slide that grip further up the bat. I hit a lot better after learning that tip. My wrists never broke correctly so I could never make contact with the ball. If only the coach had explained to me that I had been doing the exact opposite of what he was telling me to do!!

Riv, it almost sounds like if you haven't yet, that soon you'll find yourself video taping your swing :eek: That's both the greatest and worst thing that I've ever done to my golf game.

It's great because it gives you exact feedback as to what you're hands/arms/shoulders/legs are actually doing in your swing as opposed to what your think they're doing in your swing.

It awfull because if you start getting really analytical about things, you'll more than likely short term atleast suffer a swing set back as you start to stress about things that you didn't realize that you were doing before you taped your swing :eek:

The first time I taped my swing, I was playing really well. I had my handicap down to a 1 at that time, and I figured what they heck, lets see what the swing looks like. OMG! I totally lost the "big picture" view of my swing that was working well and immediately wanted to start tweaking about a dozen little things. It literally took me until the next golf season, with a ski season in between for me to forget what I was trying to fix aftre seeing my swing on tape.

Generally speaking, what I find works best when your working on your swing, is just try and limit your swing thoughts to just 1 thing. If I can do that, and just let the club take over for the other 99% of the swing, things tend to be decent. If I start trying to simulatneously think about where my hands should be on the downswing, how full of a shoulder turn am I making, is my belt buckle facing the target on follow through, etc, etc, etc on each swing, well then I tend to be doomed :mad: In golf it seems like the good 'ol KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle works the best for most folks!

drjeff

Played 9 today. AlI was in the traps more today on 9 holes than I was all summer combined, 7 traps on 9 holes. Yeah, it was that bad.

l I can say is as fast as it comes, it goes just as fast.

I call days like that when I'm in the beach all day a "suntan lotion day" :rolleyes:

drjeff

I don't want to talk about it.

I spent more time on the beach than David Hasselhoff.

Ooh, this is just too good to pass up the token 'Hoff pic :rolleyes:
David-Hasselhoff.jpg

:eek: :puke: :eek:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Warp, given my difficulties lately, I think a camera would already do way more harm than good. I am focusing on some major swing issues right now and it is already hard enough dialing learning into just one issue. Last thing I need is a couple dozen things to worry about :roll:

Very mixed bag today on the Par 3 course. Back was still tired from the range on Thursday but I really wanted to play. My focus today was upper body rotation. I had been doing too much full body turning instead of upper body rotation... specifically, rotating around the central vertical body plane instead of rotating the entire body and coming up out of the rotation zone.

Tee'd off with a 3W that dribbled about 20 yards. Then to an 8I to much the same result. At this point, I noticed someone teeing up behind me. Had I drove to the green, I would have taken my time. But I felt rushed having taken three strokes for a distance most people cover in one even on a bad shot. Any ways, 8 strokes later.... I went onto the second hole. By the time I sunk my putt, I decided that I wasn't keeping score for this game :roll: It was just that bad. I tried to stay positive and not keeping score helped. Every hole was hole number 1.

By the fourth, I nailed a beautiful shot past the green off a really great tee shot (some really bad pitching followed that!). I played the fifth better than any previous game and would have made par if not for a two putt. Creamed the ball off the tee on the sixth and put the ball past the tee by twenty yards on my best 8I tee swing ever. More bad pitching followed in addition to a two putt. Hole seven I would rather not discuss. On the eighth, I hit my longest 6I shot ever just a touch over 200 yards which is where I usually put my 3W. That felt great. More bad pitching felt bad. Ninth was horrid as usual with a mulligan off the tee on a lost ball followed by a 20 yard dribbler followed by another 20 yard dribbler followed by a shot into the sand. The sand shot was a really nasty lie as it rolled down a steep 40 degree angle. No problems, my sand game is really good all things considered and I got it within one putt range but only two putted.

So it was a mixed bag. 2/3 iron tee shots were some of my finest hits ever with sensational distance. Accuracy would have been better if they had not flown so far! Pitching was suspect all around. And when I duffed the tee shot my green play that followed was atrocious.

My take away is to keep working on that spine rotation and keep my stance just a tad open to allow my arms to roll over after impact. 3W needs a ton of work. I started off hitting the 3W better than the irons but now I either have a major slice or dribble the ball.

My other take away is to not just buy the cheapest ball I can find. While researching balls for the first time, I noticed that some of the x-out balls I had bought from the local range were in fact tour level balls such as proVs, etc (which, at 50 cents per ball, is a pretty sensational price!!!). It may just have been mental, but I felt I had better shots when I was using my el cheapo balls instead of the tour level top brands.

Warp, given my difficulties lately, I think a camera would already do way more harm than good. I am focusing on some major swing issues right now and it is already hard enough dialing learning into just one issue. Last thing I need is a couple dozen things to worry about :roll:

Very mixed bag today on the Par 3 course. Back was still tired from the range on Thursday but I really wanted to play. My focus today was upper body rotation. I had been doing too much full body turning instead of upper body rotation... specifically, rotating around the central vertical body plane instead of rotating the entire body and coming up out of the rotation zone.

Tee'd off with a 3W that dribbled about 20 yards. Then to an 8I to much the same result. At this point, I noticed someone teeing up behind me. Had I drove to the green, I would have taken my time. But I felt rushed having taken three strokes for a distance most people cover in one even on a bad shot. Any ways, 8 strokes later.... I went onto the second hole. By the time I sunk my putt, I decided that I wasn't keeping score for this game :roll: It was just that bad. I tried to stay positive and not keeping score helped. Every hole was hole number 1.

By the fourth, I nailed a beautiful shot past the green off a really great tee shot (some really bad pitching followed that!). I played the fifth better than any previous game and would have made par if not for a two putt. Creamed the ball off the tee on the sixth and put the ball past the tee by twenty yards on my best 8I tee swing ever. More bad pitching followed in addition to a two putt. Hole seven I would rather not discuss. On the eighth, I hit my longest 6I shot ever just a touch over 200 yards which is where I usually put my 3W. That felt great. More bad pitching felt bad. Ninth was horrid as usual with a mulligan off the tee on a lost ball followed by a 20 yard dribbler followed by another 20 yard dribbler followed by a shot into the sand. The sand shot was a really nasty lie as it rolled down a steep 40 degree angle. No problems, my sand game is really good all things considered and I got it within one putt range but only two putted.

So it was a mixed bag. 2/3 iron tee shots were some of my finest hits ever with sensational distance. Accuracy would have been better if they had not flown so far! Pitching was suspect all around. And when I duffed the tee shot my green play that followed was atrocious.

My take away is to keep working on that spine rotation and keep my stance just a tad open to allow my arms to roll over after impact. 3W needs a ton of work. I started off hitting the 3W better than the irons but now I either have a major slice or dribble the ball.

My other take away is to not just buy the cheapest ball I can find. While researching balls for the first time, I noticed that some of the x-out balls I had bought from the local range were in fact tour level balls such as proVs, etc (which, at 50 cents per ball, is a pretty sensational price!!!). It may just have been mental, but I felt I had better shots when I was using my el cheapo balls instead of the tour level top brands.

How long are most of these par 3 holes? Something like 60 percent of all shots are with a wedge or putter so that number is going to be even greater on a shorter course. Since most of us aren't regularly hitting the green in regularion(1 shot on a par 3...2 shots on a par 4...3 shots on a par 5)....with 2 putts for a par.....we have tons and tons of short chips and pitches. You can be great off the tee and putting but if you aren't good from 10-100 yards out..then it's gonna make things frustrating. As you play golf longer..you seem to lose alot less balls and find alot more balls. Investing in a ball-retriever can be worthwhile...for shots in creeks..shallow lakes...or if you don't want to risk poisen ivy for a golf ball in some thick brush..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
How long are most of these par 3 holes?
They range from 130-210 yards. Most fall in the 150-160 range. Pretty much even if you make a crappy tee shot, unless the ball went sideways, you can almost always hit the green with a 8I, 9I, or wedge on the second shot.

After having played the course a few times, I really tried to focus on my short game. But not giving enough time to my longer irons and woods hurt. When I am on, I can pitch onto the green and two putt no problem. But a missed pitch onto the green really hurts on a par 3 which assumes you are hitting the green in one shot so you can two putt into the hole.

My short game still needs a ton of work, but it is FAR less disappointing over shooting a hole on the short game than missing an easy iron shot or sending a tee shot dribbling 10-20 years in front. On a par 3, you really need to put that first shot within pitching, chipping, or putting range to even have a chance at a boogie, let alone a par.

They range from 130-210 yards. Most fall in the 150-160 range. Pretty much even if you make a crappy tee shot, unless the ball went sideways, you can almost always hit the green with a 8I, 9I, or wedge on the second shot.

After having played the course a few times, I really tried to focus on my short game. But not giving enough time to my longer irons and woods hurt. When I am on, I can pitch onto the green and two putt no problem. But a missed pitch onto the green really hurts on a par 3 which assumes you are hitting the green in one shot so you can two putt into the hole.

My short game still needs a ton of work, but it is FAR less disappointing over shooting a hole on the short game than missing an easy iron shot or sending a tee shot dribbling 10-20 years in front. On a par 3, you really need to put that first shot within pitching, chipping, or putting range to even have a chance at a boogie, let alone a par.[/QUOTEI]

For me..Par 3's are the hardest holes to par..when you are hitting an iron off the tee..is the tee very low??? I'm only comfortable hitting irons off a very low tee..which makes it more difficult than booting a driver or 3-wood off a higher tee..I like to get way under the ball..and take a big divot with an iron shot..while some golfers can pick the ball with hardly a divot..

I'm playing bring and early tomorrow morning..my first time playing in almost 2 weeks..hopefully I'm not too rusty..

I've had rounds where I decide not to keep score after a poor start..it's better that way. Whether you keep score or not..you know how you played and which shots you need to work on. If the course is empty and you're alone..it's nice to take some extra shots when you duff a shot..just to practice..

I'm back from a morning round of golf. The weather was sunny with the temperatures rising into the low 80s. I started out decently playing mostly bogey golf including a great 275 yard drive which left me with only a 40 yard 2nd shot on a short par 4...which I ended up making par. All was steady until a triple bogey 8 on the 9th hole which is a par 5. My Dad had a hot front 9 and began with 6 straight pars....then 2 bogeys and then a birdie on the 9th for a 37 front nine. His best nine ever is a 36. I ended up shooting a 48 on the front. I began the back 9 with a six on a par 3..then played some bogey golf and on the 13th hole..I had a birdie and followed it up with two pars in a row..then finished my round with two bogeys and I ended up with a much better 43 on the back nine for a 91 which is about average for me. I can't expect much since I've only been playing a couple rounds a month. My Dad ended up with a 45 back nine and he wound up with an 82 which will be good for his average. My Dads buddy played crappy and shot a 97. Dry conditions meant any shots in the fairway got an extra 30 yards. Greens were running fast which is what I like. I hate slow fuzzy greens. Well that's my TR from todays golf outing.