• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I enjoy going over the handlebars

cbcbd

If you aren't hurting yourself you ain't tryin hard enough :D

I like my shinguards.

My best falls were riding at night... I guess it helps when you can't see where you are landing, its kinda relaxing in a way.

man, that really sucks @ 1:52

Trekchick

C'mon, even I posted pics of a bruised and beaten body!
worthless.gif

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah, great commercial, I laughed the first time I heard it. Still smile each time. The worst thing about the tour on vs. is that they repeat the same commercials so often. They need a different set for weeks 2 and a third for week 3.

Did you see the crash the other day involving the yellow jersey..who was it, Shumaker went down and his teamate, went right into him and over his bars.

Well up until yesterday Kim Kirchen was in yellow for quite a few stages... but no, I missed that crash unfortunately. When I'm working and training I generally only catch the TT's and the mountain stages. Those are the most fun anyway.

awf170

Austin - someday you're body is not going to heal as quickly as it does now so you might actually need to become a bit more conservative...

I haven't gotten hurt on any of my falls. My one little injury so far since I started biking was when I slipped on some wet rock walking the bike uphill. No other falls has resulted in anything more than a couple minutes of discomfort.

Yeah, I think is now safe to say that I'm going to get badly hurt on my next fall. :dunce:

awf170

Bump...

It's pretty amazing in under a year I went from a complete idiot on a bike to being pretty conservative.

I have gone over my handlebars once in my last 30ish rides.

I have not even given myself the smallest bruise or cut in about the same amount of rides.

In my 10ish rides this season I think I have only fallen once.

mondeo

Bump...

It's pretty amazing in under a year I went from a complete idiot on a bike to being pretty conservative.

I have not even given myself the smallest bruise or cut in about the same amount of rides.

Lame. Stop getting old.

Greg

Staff member
Bump...

Opposite here. I've gone OTB a bunch this year already and I'm getting pretty beat up on most rides. Most have been slow speed, but the one going through the Scoville Orchard was at a pretty good clip. That was not fun. I went OTB on Sunday after I hit a small log covered by a fern on a rarely traveled trail. The best OTBs are the ones you don't see coming. They somehow hurt less - more relaxed maybe.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I go over the bars now and then. Last time was about a 5 weeks ago. I went over so quickly the last time, that the only thing I was able to brace the fall with was my face! I thought the neck would be a lot worse but I was ok.

I've gone OTB on a pre-work ride and cut my face a bit....showed up at work..."Oh sorry, I cut myself shaving this morning!" ;)

However, despite my OTB episodes, I don't really enjoy it as much as Austin does!

2knees

havent gone over the bars yet. like austin last year, its probably just a matter of time since i'm trying things that my skill level doesnt come close to matching. my biggest problem has been shoulder checking trees. both my shoulders are black and blue from only 2 1/2 rides this year. i gotta figure that one out before i do some serious damage.

awf170

Going over the handle bars really scares me now. All it takes is one sharp rock in your landing area and you have a broke nose, tooth, elbow, wrist, etc. My solution? Just get so far back on your bike that it is impossible to go over. I routinely hit my ass on my back tire since I get so far back. Worst that can happen is that I jump off the back of my bike. Way better than flying over the bars.

Greg

Staff member
i'm trying things that my skill level doesnt come close to matching.

:lol:

my biggest problem has been shoulder checking trees. both my shoulders are black and blue from only 2 1/2 rides this year. i gotta figure that one out before i do some serious damage.

Look ahead. Try to anticipate the flow of the trail more....just gotta smooth it out. Lean the bike when/where appropriate. Standing sometimes helps, as does putting the cranks so the pedal on the inside of the turn is up and the one on the outside is down. Pedal placement comes with practice. I've found clipping a pedal on something can send you into a nearby tree.

I whacked my shoulder hard a few rides ago. It's just starting to feel better.

bvibert

Staff member
I've been doing a lot less shoulder checking trees this year than last. Usually happened when I was too tired to be going as fast as I was through tight ST.

tjf67

Going over the handle bars really scares me now. All it takes is one sharp rock in your landing area and you have a broke nose, tooth, elbow, wrist, etc. My solution? Just get so far back on your bike that it is impossible to go over. I routinely hit my ass on my back tire since I get so far back. Worst that can happen is that I jump off the back of my bike. Way better than flying over the bars.

Or you get thrown foward and pinch your penis against the back of your seat.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Funny... the same guy now professing this sentiment also did this not long ago:

P1020372.JPG

Yeah, yeah... snow's soft, it was a steep landing... blah, blah, blah