Nassahegan RAW, Burlington, CT - 7/15/08

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nassahegan RAW, Burlington, CT - 7/15/08

Met up withe Brian and Jeff for another Nass RAW ride. Got started at 6:30-ish. Hit the Scoville twisites and then down into Session Woods. We stayed right to take the loop around Beaver Pond. Getting down into there was great. A few ledges we skipped, but mostly fun singletrack. The boggy area was kinda lame and then the real hike-a-biking started. Once we got through that area on the south ridge, it was a fun downhill to the Session gravel loop. We then parallel 69 back to Lamson corner.

A really great ride and one that was a bit longer than we are used to, especially as a RAW. Got out with the last of the reasonable daylight. I really liked this ride, except for the rock scrambles. If we can find the bypass around that, we'll be looking at a really great ride. About 7.3 miles and it took us about 2:15 to do it. Not bad considering the walking/climbing! We're getting faster!

Crankfire data display and topo.
    I ski double black diamonds.

A great ride, I felt pretty good through most of it. I could have done without having to get off my bike quite so much, and the flat tire though. I'd do it again, but I'd want more time to enjoy the ending part without having to rush out due to failing day light (or get a headlight for my bike). My legs are pretty much toasted right now, and it feels great!
    Brian

Good ride except for the climb down the rock cliffs. Definitely have to find the bypass for that section

That GPS gives quite a bit of info. 3.4 climbing miles

I had one of those nights when the head hits the pillow and what feels like a second later, it's morning. But I feel like a zombie today.

I posted this in the GPS thread too, but here's our tracked overlayed in Google Earth (looking south):

Impressive!!!!!

Sounds like an interesting ride. From what Brian was explaining about the hike-a-bike parts, a little hairy in some places. But not bad overall for you guys. It's cool that you get to go out and explore that area so much.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Just glad I have a sub 30lb bike to carry

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    Impressive!!!!!

Sounds like an interesting ride. From what Brian was explaining about the hike-a-bike parts, a little hairy in some places. But not bad overall for you guys.
    The hike-a-bike area is actually very pretty. Fun scrambles that would be enjoyable with hiking boots, but not so much trying to carry a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    It's cool that you get to go out and explore that area so much.
    A special thanks to understanding wives.

What the heck does RAW mean? Every time I see it posted, I'm thinking its like World Wrestling Federation lingo Is it bike speak for a hard core throw down?

..it probably is, I mean with both wrestling and mountain biking were talking about grown men doing an activity in tights

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    What the heck does RAW mean? Every time I see it posted, I'm thinking its like World Wrestling Federation lingo Is it bike speak for a hard core throw down?

..it probably is, I mean with both wrestling and mountain biking were talking about grown men doing an activity in tights
    RAW = Ride After Work. Not that exciting or cool, I know.

No tights for this MTBer either.

Thread Information