• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trekchick's on de-Klein with a little Attitude!

Trekchick

To make a long story short, I have been looking for a good bike to turn into a Single Speed.
I stumbled on to a great deal on a Klein Attitude. For those of you who know Klein, you know they are all about precision, and performance.
If you're interested, I'll post a play by play on the transformation from a kick ass Mt bike to a Kick Ass Single Speed!

n830505017_3507038_9139.jpg

The first thing to go is the saddle. Aaaaaaaack!
Then pedals.

I have to say, this bike shifts so beautifully, Its a shame to turn it into a SS, but its her destiny to be my SS and that is what she'll be!
n830505017_3507042_9657.jpg

The goal is to get her under 20, which will be a job, since she's 28 lbs as she sits.

n830505017_3507044_9916.jpg

n830505017_3507045_196.jpg

n830505017_3507048_740.jpg

Trekchick

I really had no intention of getting sucked into the new SS Craze. But,(there's always a but) the week before I had my crash, I was riding with some friends who finally convinced me to switch bikes with them and try a few. Damn!! It was soooooooooo much fun!
Did I mention, I can be a bit of an adventurer and have compulsive tendencies?

Philpug

I will be very disappointed if you don't get this to at least 16lb ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Cool looking bike, too bad you're going to wreck it by taking all the gears off. ;)

Seriously, keep us updated on the progress. The rear drop out looks interesting, does the axle slide in from the back, behind the derailer hanger?

How old is the bike?

wa-loaf

Is that an 8 speed? I'll take that derailleur. I could use a back-up for my old specialized. :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Cool looking bike, too bad you're going to wreck it by taking all the gears off. ;)

Seriously, keep us updated on the progress. The rear drop out looks interesting, does the axle slide in from the back, behind the derailer hanger?

How old is the bike?

That's what it looks like to me.

She's going to have to put a chain tensioner on probably, ideally you want a bike with horizontal dropouts for a single speed so you can adjust the chain tension with the rear wheel.

I noticed the frame has internal cable routing too. Worst idea ever. Internally routed cables are such a huge PITA to deal with.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm only counting 7 cogs, but it's hard to tell from the picture. I'm not sure that's even possible given the apparent vintage of the bike and the XTR rear der. Then again what the hell do I know??

I noticed the internal cable routing (hard not to since she took a picture of that specifically ;) ) and was wondering how well that worked.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Go big TrekChick!

FYI,
A buddy I know who is a great rider, roadie, mtn, 29"er and yes, SS. (I think he had his 29"er set up as a SS at one point). Anyway, he rides his single speed a lot when he comes out on our local trails. He and another buddy entered a race last weekend at Windham and he road his SS on a very hilly, cross-country track and finished right in the middle of the pack. (I'm sure if he had gears, he would have been higher, but apparently they had a blast!).

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm only counting 7 cogs, but it's hard to tell from the picture. I'm not sure that's even possible given the apparent vintage of the bike and the XTR rear der. Then again what the hell do I know??

I noticed the internal cable routing (hard not to since she took a picture of that specifically ;) ) and was wondering how well that worked.

Works great until you have to change your cables.

Trekchick

I[hart]. I'm sure gonna get it under 20, 16 will be pushing it. I know I can count on you to help "push" ;)

Brian, Here's an extra pic from the top of the rear set up.
n830505017_3510863_3109.jpg

The bike is a 2001 Klein Attitude Comp.

As I look this bike over, I'm amazed at the pristine condition it is in.
wa-loaf. sorry to disappoint, but I will be saving the unused parts to replace parts on my other two bikes as they wear out.

Trekchick

Sorry about the delay in replying. I started to draft the above post a couple hours ago but my office has been nuts this morning. Damn paying job anyway!
To answer the questions:

- Its an 8.
- I'm going to play with the gearing a bit, but to start, I'm thinking 35/15
- Ridgid is always a possibility, but for now, I'm staying with the front forks. I'm guessing my wrist will need the added comfort for a bit.
- 69'er, eh? Always a possibility. I have seen some sweet 69'ers.

She's going to have to put a chain tensioner on probably, ideally you want a bike with horizontal dropouts for a single speed so you can adjust the chain tension with the rear wheel.
I am getting some help with this from Volklgirl.
(pics credit Volklgirl)
When she did her bike, she set it up with a tensioner, then found that she didn't need it.
7500261255.jpg
To quote her from SkiDiva:
Found out the 32/15 combo can be run on that frame without a chain tensioner and I've had no problems at all using the "geared" front chainring.

Trekchick

Go big TrekChick!

FYI,
A buddy I know who is a great rider, roadie, mtn, 29"er and yes, SS. (I think he had his 29"er set up as a SS at one point). Anyway, he rides his single speed a lot when he comes out on our local trails. He and another buddy entered a race last weekend at Windham and he road his SS on a very hilly, cross-country track and finished right in the middle of the pack. (I'm sure if he had gears, he would have been higher, but apparently they had a blast!).
There are some awesome SS'ers out there who rip on those bikes.
I'm not sure if they'd do better with a multi geared bike or not, all I know is that they rip!

bvibert

Staff member
Brian, to answer your earlier question more clearly, here is a pic of the rear cassett and the angle that the axel goes in.
Is this better?
n830505017_3513521_4104.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Is the other side the same way? I imagine it has to be. Is the slot relatively horizontal, or is it at an angle? I don't really have any reason to know, just curious is all.