• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Batman

JimG.

Staff member
I know this will come across as callous, but all the hub bub about Heath Ledger and the fact that many members of the media are practically already giving him the Oscar for his performance and trying to[size=-2] (edit mode here - villify) ;)[/size] GLORIFY him as some kind of James Dean like icon is really driving me crazy!

Could he act, yes, and at times very well. But come on, this guy had what it appeared that he desired, fame, money, professional respect, a healthy young child, etc, etc, etc. And his life was just so "miserable" that he couldn't deal with it and needed some pills to help him along. Come on now.

Bottomline, he was an actor, not a hero. The real heroes are the unsung members of his age demographic that risk there lives day in and day out without any widespread media attention and/or millions of dollars of income in our military.

Ledger was young and impressionable. He battled depression and he made bad choices like many young people do. And he wound up killing himself. Stupid.

That does not take away from his acting talent. And he is brilliant as the Joker in this movie...brilliant. He captures the insanity and over the top nature of the character.

I think he does deserve the Oscar for this performance...just as I thought Jack Nicholson deserved it for his portrayal of the Joker in the very first Batman movie...another brilliant performance.

Moe Ghoul

He had a massage appointment, he OD'd BEFORE a massage appointment. How can you be depressed when you know you have a massage appointment? Did he forget that he was getting a massage? Get the massage first, then see how depressed you are afterwards. I have to believe he was taking some pills to get really mellow for the massage, I refuse to believe he intentionally OD's before a massage appoinment.

JimG.

Staff member
He had a massage appointment, he OD'd BEFORE a massage appointment. How can you be depressed when you know you have a massage appointment? Did he forget that he was getting a massage? Get the massage first, then see how depressed you are afterwards. I have to believe he was taking some pills to get really mellow for the massage, I refuse to believe he intentionally OD's before a massage appoinment.

You need a massage...go take a nap.

MRGisevil

We are leaving to go see Batman in T minus 13 minutes and counting! WOO! I hear there are lots of explosions...

PA Ridge Racer

I think he does deserve the Oscar for this performance...just as I thought Jack Nicholson deserved it for his portrayal of the Joker in the very first Batman movie...another brilliant performance.

Just got back from seeing it and agreed. I too was a huge fan of Jack as the original but Heath was equal to Nicholson at the very least. Another viewing may put him over the top for me..He has lots of memorable scenes / lines in this that will go down as classic for sure.

As for the movie itself, I left wanting a bit more. It was non stop action with a few surprises thrown in but there are one maybe two things for me (which I don't want to mention so as not to spoil it for anyone) that may keep me from putting this up there with the greatest films ever like everyone else seems to be doing. What I will say though is that Heath Ledger's Joker will be remembered as one of the best villains of all time. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

MR. evil

As for the movie itself, I left wanting a bit more. It was non stop action with a few surprises thrown in but there are one maybe two things for me (which I don't want to mention so as not to spoil it for anyone) that may keep me from putting this up there with the greatest films ever like everyone else seems to be doing. What I will say though is that Heath Ledger's Joker will be remembered as one of the best villains of all time. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Awsome movie!!!! The best movie I have seen in the theaters since the Lord of the Rings movies. Heath Ledger's Joker is with out a doubt the best movie villain of all time. Jack Nicholson's Joker was not even close.

9.95 out of 10 for me.

PA Ridge Racer

Now I'm intrigued. I'm not really a huge fan of comic book movies, but I may be persuaded to see this one....

Don't go expecting to see the greatest flick ever made. Go with an open mind then see what you think. I went in expecting too much I think....And don't get me wrong the movie lives up to most of it (Especially Ledger's performance....thats not being hyped for no reason) but I feel the plot itself was missing 1 or 2 things. Still awesome...primarily because of The Joker.

Oh and it really dosn't feel like a comic book movie at all.

Sky

I went Friday night...and wasn't sure what to expect but was thinking with the hype. I'd not like it.

I was wrong.

I think Heath's performance as the Joker was amazing. This movie is differnt than Tim Burton's treatment. I loved Jack Nicholson's performance.

This is different. I still like Jack's and Tim's treatment...but I think Heath's performance/treatment was terrific.

I'm glad I went.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just got back from seeing it and agreed. I too was a huge fan of Jack as the original but Heath was equal to Nicholson at the very least. Another viewing may put him over the top for me..He has lots of memorable scenes / lines in this that will go down as classic for sure.
+1

I was cautiously optimistic that Ledger would at least be 50% of what Nicholson was as the joker. He was better. I do not follow celebrity lifestyle lameness, so I didn't even know this was Ledger's last film until a co-worker suggested it would be eerie watching someone's last film when he just recently died. Gimme a break. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that people actually say that let alone feel that. Who the F cares. Coming from that perspective of not even knowing what other movies Ledger has done and not really giving two craps, he did a sensational capstone to his career and has a different (and I believe more interesting) Joker than Nicholson.

My history with Batman is as follows: Never read the comics, same barely a few reruns of the TV show, had at the time believed that Tim Burton's Batman movies wase sensational, and never watched anything after Batman Returns because the previews looked.... well, the previews said it all.

Batman Begins was good but not sensational. The ending was too lame brained CGI special effects crap and Bale, as good as he was, played it a little too over the top. The growling and vox effects continue with Dark Knight, but at least Bale has reigned in the over the top factor. You can be mean, pissed off, and angry without growling every word.

Dark Knight was good. It has several sensational moments and a lot of character, plot, and theme elements that are repeated and variationed throughout the movie. One particular moment just past the halfway point had me ready to jump up a cheer due to how unstandard some things were handled. Sensational. The ending was almost really good. Last five minutes SUCKED. Worst ending to a movie I have seen in a long time. I give it 8 out of 10. Too long and the ending really blew it. Also, Maggie Gyllenhaal is the worst female lead in a major motion picture. Ever. So minus two points from a ten for being 15 minutes too long, having a huge let down of an ending, and a horrid female lead.

Love Christopher Nolan (director). Everything the man directs is great, still no duds and a few of my favorites in their genres. Bale has worked with Nolan in at least three films that I am aware of and is a solid actor and better as Batman this go around than the last time. The DC Comics reboots are really great returning the movies to their original styles. Having never read the comics, I really appreciate the reboots being more true to original intents as reported by those that are more aware of the comics than I.

Trekchick

The Tale of TC watching Batman Begins:
I've been going to the video store a couple times a week since being advised that I need to watch batman begins before seeing the new movie. Batman begins has been rented out constantly over the past weeks. argh!!

I fell asleep fairly early last night only to be woken in the middle of the night to the smell of skunk outside my bedroom window. PEW!
I get up and close the windows, now, I'm wide awake.
I browse through the tv channels............Batman Begins just started on FX. Awesome!
I watch it, in the hopes that it will put me to sleep. Nuthin doin! Its great. I liked it much better than the previous batman movies that I'd seen.
Movie ends and I'm feeling like I can finally fall asleep.
Eyes get heavy, I'm starting to fall asleep, when I hear.........
fwta fwta fwta..(I think its in my head since I've just seen Batman). I pull the covers up, and sure enough THERE'S A BAT FLYING OVER MY BED!!!!! AAAACK!
This is something I'm fairly used to, considering I live in an old house, but after watching batman begins and the cave scenes, this was a bit much.

Do I have to explain about old farm house's and their companions?

I'm sure I don't have to explain why I need a main line coffee today?

I hope to see the new Batman this weekend