• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Batman

Hawkshot99

Overrated............that is all.

I have enjoyed the previous movies, but was not crazy going into this one. Maybe that is because I was not crazy about going to the 12:20 airing, or the 2:30 movie length, but I just never got into it.........................

Trekchick

Good to know. I was a fan of the first batman movies, but they seemed to get "dark". Come to think of it, I haven't seen the last one. Maybe I should?

wintersyndrome

Good to know. I was a fan of the first batman movies, but they seemed to get "dark". Come to think of it, I haven't seen the last one. Maybe I should?

yeah you should.....that was whole premise behind Batman Begins and I would assume now with the Dark Knight...the series of movies that ran from the late eighties and into the nineties really got cheesy and went downhill after the Tim Burton directed films...the shark had been jumped by the time Danny Devito played the Penguin and George Clooney was batman ...how ridiculous is that?

I enjoy how the new series set a much darker overtone and actually gave complexity to the characters, which was a breath of fresh air from the bubble-gum pop that original series had succumbed to.

Sorry if that comes across as flaming...but i for one was happy to have a Batman movie that i could sit through.

Trekchick

I was thinking about it, and I believe I only saw the first two Batman Movies. The second was was so dark and cheesy, I was not enthused to see the others.
Maybe I should do a retake?

Philpug

I am still looking forward to it. You must see the last one before you see thin one though.

drjeff

I know this will come across as callous, but all the hub bub about Heath Ledger and the fact that many members of the media are practically already giving him the Oscar for his performance and trying to[size=-2] (edit mode here - villify) ;)[/size] GLORIFY him as some kind of James Dean like icon is really driving me crazy!

Could he act, yes, and at times very well. But come on, this guy had what it appeared that he desired, fame, money, professional respect, a healthy young child, etc, etc, etc. And his life was just so "miserable" that he couldn't deal with it and needed some pills to help him along. Come on now.

Bottomline, he was an actor, not a hero. The real heroes are the unsung members of his age demographic that risk there lives day in and day out without any widespread media attention and/or millions of dollars of income in our military.

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I know this will come across as callous, but all the hub bub about Heath Ledger and the fact that many members of the media are practically already giving him the Oscar for his performance and trying to villify him as some kind of James Dean like icon is really driving me crazy!

Could he act, yes, and at times very well. But come on, this guy had what it appeared that he desired, fame, money, professional respect, a healthy young child, etc, etc, etc. And his life was just so "miserable" that he couldn't deal with it and needed some pills to help him along. Come on now.
Depression knows no boundaries, no demographic. It could have been as simple as a chemical imbalance in his brain. I'm not saying what the media is doing is right, but it's hard to say the guy had no reason to be unhappy without knowing him personally. There's a lot more complexity to it than appearances. And we all know that public appearances don't mean crap about a person's private life.

Just sayin'......

drjeff

I don't think that means what you think it does. ;-)

:oops: Sorry I meant glorify. I've been listening to too much talk about his role as the ultimate villian as The Joker lately and had one of those moments where the brain and the fingers touching the keyboard were out of sync :oops:

Philpug

Having personally experienced suicide very close to me, for the most part, you never really know why. I by no means was a Heath Ledger fan, but this role looks like he nailed it.

bvibert

Staff member
I enjoyed the first couple of batman movies, but then got disinterested. I'm not even sure how many have been made, let alone if I've actually seen them or not. I'll probably catch the new one in 10 years or so when I can't sleep and it's playing on TV or something.

wa-loaf

:oops: Sorry I meant glorify. I've been listening to too much talk about his role as the ultimate villian as The Joker lately and had one of those moments where the brain and the fingers touching the keyboard were out of sync :oops:

<cough>nitrious</cough>

drjeff

Depression knows no boundaries, no demographic. It could have been as simple as a chemical imbalance in his brain. I'm not saying what the media is doing is right, but it's hard to say the guy had no reason to be unhappy without knowing him personally. There's a lot more complexity to it than appearances. And we all know that public appearances don't mean crap about a person's private life.

Just sayin'......

What's the one widespread major "disease" that has no chemical and/or radiographic tests to determine its diagnosis??? Depression - think about it :idea:

Look there are times in life when things can seem to really stink, we've all had them. Bottomline, if you don't like how things are, take the steps to change them. Unfortunately we live in a culture where many folks seem to think that popping a quick pill or two (or 10 :eek:) will suddenly be the cure all answer, when in reality the answer more ofetn than not lies within ones self where waht really needs to be done is for one to take a honest deep look at their own inadequacies(something that can be very tough to do) and then start taking the steps to either except them or build off of them to improve ones self.

That's all I'm saying.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
What's the one widespread major "disease" that has no chemical and/or radiographic tests to determine its diagnosis??? Depression - think about it :idea:

Look there are times in life when things can seem to really stink, we've all had them. Bottomline, if you don't like how things are, take the steps to change them. Unfortunately we live in a culture where many folks seem to think that popping a quick pill or two (or 10 :eek:) will suddenly be the cure all answer, when in reality the answer more ofetn than not lies within ones self where waht really needs to be done is for one to take a honest deep look at their own inadequacies(something that can be very tough to do) and then start taking the steps to either except them or build off of them to improve ones self.

That's all I'm saying.
Have you ever personally dealt with depression, doc? I have. Not only myself, but in my extended family. What may seem like the easy (or "right") thing to do isn't the obvious thing to do when in the throes. Trust me, I've been there. Admitting you need help, getting the help you need, doing the right things for you - they seem logical to you, but there is no logic when one is clinically depressed. Those who haven't experienced it feel it's a myth, but it's a reality. One you can't truly understand until you've felt that vast nothingness, that emptiness that consumes you to the point where you just don't want to exist, you don't want to be any more. And then there are only 3 solutions.... continue the agony for a lifetime, end it permanently, or eventually figure out that what you're doing isn't working and find a better solution. I think many never reach the 3rd possible solution.

Warp Daddy

I

Bottomline, he was an actor, not a hero. The real heroes are the unsung members of his age demographic that risk there lives day in and day out without any widespread media attention and/or millions of dollars of income in our military.

DOc Jeff as a retired educator I TOTALLY AGREE

-There is too much attention paid to too many "Emotionall underdeveloped" folks who have done little to ADVANCE mankind yet send very mixed signals to our kids as to what " Good behaviour looks like "

I look to the "Everyman or Woman hero " who advances society by the Honest "sweat from their Brow" and GENUINE concern for their fellow man.

Greed hogs of all varieties ( attention seekers or financial hooligans ) , Actors /tresses and other "social detritus" that are glorified by the media only serve to glorify man's baser nature -- I personally haven't got time for that anymore

drjeff

Have you ever personally dealt with depression, doc? I have. Not only myself, but in my extended family. What may seem like the easy (or "right") thing to do isn't the obvious thing to do when in the throes. Trust me, I've been there. Admitting you need help, getting the help you need, doing the right things for you - they seem logical to you, but there is no logic when one is clinically depressed. Those who haven't experienced it feel it's a myth, but it's a reality. One you can't truly understand until you've felt that vast nothingness, that emptiness that consumes you to the point where you just don't want to exist, you don't want to be any more. And then there are only 3 solutions.... continue the agony for a lifetime, end it permanently, or eventually figure out that what you're doing isn't working and find a better solution. I think many never reach the 3rd possible solution.

Actually I have battled it, during dental school. It was through the help of family and counselors at the school that i was able to realize what the issue at hand was (in my case it was fear of failure and the intense pressures that dental school placed on me) and learn how to take steps to deal with my issue that was causing the depression. Fortunately I was able to overcome things and have used the experience as a very valuable life lesson.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Actually I have battled it, during dental school. It was through the help of family and counselors at the school that i was able to realize what the issue at hand was (in my case it was fear of failure and the intense pressures that dental school placed on me) and learn how to take steps to deal with my issue that was causing the depression. Fortunately I was able to overcome things and have used the experience as a very valuable life lesson.
Not everyone is so lucky to have the support they need. But I commend you, doc, for overcoming your past battle with depression. I sincerely hope you never go through that again.

drjeff

Not everyone is so lucky to have the support they need. But I commend you, doc, for overcoming your past battle with depression. I sincerely hope you never go through that again.

It's an on going battle for many in my profession (although we're no longer the HIGHEST suicide rate profession out there ;) ). Tough stuff for many in my profession when you bust your a$$ working with very precise tolerances all day long to get thing as perfect as you can and then all to often see your hard work and efforts neglected by those who you worked on. Used to drive me crazy.

Now, older and questionably wiser (okay maybe not ;) ), I've just plain and simple realized that as much as I want too I can't control everything, and sometimes for no apparent rhyme nor reason things just don't work. So nowadays I just simply learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future, whatever happens.

BTW, I'm still not going to the theatre to see Batman ;) Maybe it will hit my winter DVD viewing schedule though ;) Had to try and un hijack my hijack there atleast! :)

ed-drum

Batman was intentionally "dark" when the comic started in 1939. Bruce Wayne saw his parents murdered in front of his eyes as a young boy. He drank too much and was a mess. The '60s tv show got away from that premise and turned it into a joke. The early movies never got back to the roots. When Miller did the "Dark Knight" series in the eighties, it got back to the troubled Bruce Wayne and commissioner Gordon almost committed suicide because of his problems. "Batman Begins" got back to the original troubled Batman. I can't wait to see the new one. Batman is one of my favorite characters. Him and Spiderman. Peter Parker has his share of problems too. He's always broke because his boss is cheap!