• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1 Pair of skis for the whole season.... which ones

Trekchick

174 Soft Bros with Duke Bindings.

They are big but they are versatile and fun!
I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

probably some 179 Bro's w/ either dukes or freerides. Might go with one of the following too: Line Chronic Blends 179, Armada AR6 176, or Volkl Bridge's with Look px12 Jibs.

Eff it uhhh, I'll go with the Bridges.
For a minute there, I thought I'd met my match. Why go back on the Bro!?:cry:

ERJ-145CA

I'd stick with my 167 cm. Fischer Watea 78's that I got last year which served me well last season. I never got to test them in pow 'cause northern NJ had a severe lack of snowfall last year, but in all other conditions they were great.

highpeaksdrifter

Nordica Hotrod Top Fuel

Technical sheetsizes (radius): 154 (R11,5), 162 (R13,5), 170 (R15,5), 178 (R17,5)

Type of core: Wood

Holds a great edge
Damp but not too damp
Great at Speed. never nervous
Side cut: 124-78-108 - wide enough footprint to float some in powder
versatile turn shapes

Ski Mag rated them best in bumps for their catagory.

If I had to ski one this would be it.

Sky

K2 Apache Recon

Demo'd them prolly three years ago and loved them. I like them a bit more than the Metrons (forget which ones I tried).

Warp Daddy...SX 10's eh? You ripper!

I like my Volkl Supersport Superspeeds (70mm waist). I popped them on after demoing the Recons though, and liked the Recon a tad better.

I'm not a Rossi or Salomon fan.

I've got a pair of Dynastar Contact 11s that are just unimpressive.

Funny how certain skis seem to match up well (or not) with certain skiers.

Greg

Staff member
Dynastar Legend 8000 in 172cm.

millerm277

Rossignol Bandit BX 170cm. 109-70-99. Only flaw of the skis is that they (being narrow), don't float much in powder at low speeds, but I'm used to it.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
last year i rode most of the year on a air 161 which i have always like over the custom's for some reason. it will handle speed up to about 40 to 45 with out getting to sqirley. droped the stance back and was fine in the powder. my edges are like razors so ice was ok. in the spring i added a set of P1 bindings which have the tallest highback of any binding i could find and really helped on high speed heelside turns. i guess burton droped it because it was almost identical to the custom 162.

prisnah

For a minute there, I thought I'd met my match. Why go back on the Bro!?:cry:

Thought about it realistically, I ski mainly in Maine at SR. Theres just not enough around there worth hiking for. If I was out west or even in VT then I think I could justify a duke/bro combo for everyday.

Although I am pretty sure I'm gonna be purchasing some new bros pretty soon.

Fischer RX8's.

EastCoastPowderhound will know what the current replacement for that ski is.

The RX8 is still around...for one last swan song. Progressor 8 is like the RX8 2.0...72mm waist, vertical sidewalls, woodcore and no metal...so guys like Greg can take them into the bumps without worry

subdude

My Crossfires were my only skis for two seasons and loved them every day I was on the hill. I eventually bought a pair of Legends and love them too. I'd be perfectly happy with either of those for an entire season.

Was waiting for someone to post Crossfires. I love my Crossfires for East Coast skiing solid performer.

skiadikt

i've been using salomon pocket rockets and now the salomon guns. 90 waist. great on groomers, trees & crud. certainly not a bump ski but ok. don't really care for icey conditions.

campgottagopee

Nordica Hotrod Top Fuel

Technical sheetsizes (radius): 154 (R11,5), 162 (R13,5), 170 (R15,5), 178 (R17,5)

Holds a great edge
Damp but not too damp
versatile turn shapes

Got 'em, love 'em for all the same reasons mentioned here already

Geoff

Nordica Hotrod Top Fuel

Holds a great edge
Damp but not too damp
versatile turn shapes

I rented a pair of those for a day I grabbed at Eldora in Colorado last February. I thought they ski really short and they had trouble floating in a couple of feet of powder. It was all I could do to keep the tips from submarining. They're fine on packed powder and bumps but I thought they were completely unacceptable in the sidecountry.

People talking about the Salomon Tornado should give next year's ski a try. Salomon revamped the ski the way they revamped the X-Wing Fury last year. The Salomon X-Wing Fury of two years ago was awful. I'd tried it and it had no edge hold and no stability. Last year's X-Wing Fury switched from foam core to wood core and is a much beefier construction. It's basically the Scream Xtra Hot. The old Tornado was a little better than the old X-Wing Fury because it's narrower but I thought it wasn't all that much of a ski. I took a couple of runs on the 2009 Tornado and it's much more of a performance ski.

I think the X-Wing Fury is a pretty good compromise for a 1 ski quiver. I'm on it this week in big mountain powder conditions. It's acceptable in eastern hardpack. It's quick enough edge-to-edge to be OK in the bumps and trees. It's superb in spring conditions. I wouldn't own anything with less than an 85mm waist. I think it's a toss-up between Salomon and Volkl. I like the Salomon feel a little better because it's a little easier to roll off the edge and unlock it if you need to.