• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yesterday's twister in New Hampshire

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I drove by the mess this evening. It is just amazing how precise a tornado (I think it's official) can be. In one a few of the pics is the home that collapsed where a woman perished.

The media is still there this evening with their trucks and helicoptors. Some buildings and many trees were devestated-but in a very narrow path. A few hundred yards away were buildings that seemed untouched.

You should be able to click the pics for larger versions:

snoseek

That looks horrible! Where did it happen?

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com

Terry

It also crossed in basically a straight line rt 109, 16,153, 25. It was a a swath about a quater mile wide that everything was torn to shreds. No trees laid in a straight line, everything was twisted in different dirrections. I rode through there today and it was unreal. Just a narrow path of total destruction and then nothing on either side. Mother nature can be brutal when she wants to be.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I drove by the mess this evening. It is just amazing how precise a tornado (I think it's official) can be.

Indeed. The Worcester Tornado hit the town I grew up in, Westboro, Mass during the 50's. It literally went right down my grandmothers street and leveled some of her neighbors houses, but for whatever reason hers was unscathed. Only one tree in her yard was downed, yet there were several fatalities very close by. I imagine it's the elusiveness and the preciseness of a tornado that makes people want to chase them.

Scary, scary stuff. I was in Durham when that storm rolled in and even ten to fifteen miles southeast of the worst of it, watching that storm come in was freaky. There were several people standing outside the gas station looking at the front saying 'Oh My God'....felt like I was in a horror movie a little. Once I got east on 4 and was heading down 16 over the Great Bay it was kind of cool to look at from a distance, especially once I heard it was tracking north of where my location was.

vibes definitely go out to that poor woman and any family affected by this storm.

Warp Daddy

Horrible --------------- The power of nature and the randomness is just simply devastating and leaves us all humbled with the knowledge that we have zero control of most everything in life except how we choose to react !

be good to each other people

drjeff

Just saw this pic posted by the guys at lakes region aerials(www.lakesregionaerials.com), who flew over the tornado path and took a bunch of pics.

This one really stood out to me showing just how localized the path of destruction is/was

Tornado_2008_g123-July_24_2008_p1032.html

drjeff

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wonder how they are able to catagorize tornadoes after the fact. In the case of this one being an F2, its hard to fathom the level damage being much worse in that storms path.

wa-loaf

I wonder how they are able to catagorize tornadoes after the fact. In the case of this one being an F2, its hard to fathom the level damage being much worse in that storms path.

The F rating is based on wind speed, so depending on what got destroyed and how far stuff got thrown they can estimate the speed and rate the twister.

Worse damage? This is what a cat 5 can do:

44024.jpg