• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lynn Woods July 25th, '08 (wif mad pix!)

awf170

Met up with Eatskisleep and friend for a fun morning in Lynn Woods.

I'm the dork with the bright red shirt, Eatskisleep has the sleeveless shirt.

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Cool pics, it's nice to have something other than Nassahegan posts in here for once. ;)

So, how was the new bike?

Looks like some interesting riding there.

awf170

Cool pics, it's nice to have something other than Nassahegan posts in here for once. ;)

So, how was the new bike?

Looks like some interesting riding there.

New bike is awesome, though I would probably say that about any FS bike after riding that old Stumpjumper, so I don't think my opinion counts for too much.

So does the riding look good enough for you to make a trip up here. *nudge*nudge*

wa-loaf

Ha, looks like you didn't waste anytime jumping off of stuff. Nice pics!

cbcbd

Those trails look pretty sweet... lots of rollers, nice drops... sweet!!

yeah... good thing you got the FS

eatskisleep

I can't really speak for Lynn itself but there is a lot of singletrack in MA... even more in the rest of New England such as NH.

MR. evil

So does the riding look good enough for you to make a trip up here. *nudge*nudge*

Some of those drops look a bit too much for me. But I will still make the trip out there to ride. I will be sure to bring some shin / knee pads, and will probably go with platform pedals instead of clipless for the day. Do you have a date in mind?

Tim

awf170

Or like CT. Austin is there any single track out there or is it mostly rocky?

There is about 30 miles of "official", probably about 10 more miles of stuff that has yet to be added to the map or was cut illegally.

Here's a map:
lw_trail_map.jpg

Basically everything south of Walden Pond is Beginner/Intermediate and everything north of it is Advanced/Expert. The south side of the park really isn't anything special, it is decent singletrack, but not nearly as good as what you have in CT. It used to be a lot better, but it is now super eroded. So even the easier trails are pretty darn technical.

Now the north side is where all the good stuff is. It is basically a giant playground as you can see by the pictures. There are 3-5 drops everywhere, tons of steep granite rollers, and lots of riding on rock slabs, hence the nickname "Moab of the east". The landing are usually flat since building any sort of landing ramp is prohibited (after an explosion of illegal building and cutting Lynn threatened to ban mountain biking in Lynn Woods). You don't have do any of these features though. You could go around every single "feature" in my pictures. The riding on this side isn't really XC at all, and you don't get the greatest cardio workout. We probably only covered 4 or 5 miles and we rode for 3.5 hours. You'll stop take a break, maybe try out of few drops/rollers, take some pics, ride a few hundred yard (usually of very technical singletrack) , and repeat. I mean you can ride it XC style, but unless you are a very, very good rider it would be frustrating because you have to walk a decent amount. This isn't to say that it is all about downhill though because there are quite a few very nice hill climbs. They are very technical and usually pretty short though. Once again they are the sort of thing you can keep trying as a group until you get it. So once again, not the greatest workout. Wow, yeah, I rambled quite a bit. Feel free to ask more questions, though I just started riding here so I really don't know much compared to some people.

Some of those drops look a bit too much for me. But I will still make the trip out there to ride. I will be sure to bring some shin / knee pads, and will probably go with platform pedals instead of clipless for the day. Do you have a date in mind?

Tim

Maybe a weekend in September?

Like I said earlier, you can avoid all the drops. Flats might not be a bad idea, since you will be clipping out a ton. I'm so used getting in and out of clipless now that it doesn't even bother me, but to each there own. Clipless cleats are pretty terrible when you have walk up steep rock though. Metal + rock = sketchiness.

Yeah shin/knees pads are almost I must. I haven't seen one person up there without them (except me of course :dunce:) I'm definitely getting some soon.

MR. evil

Maybe a weekend in September?

That should work for me. Lets just pick a date soon so we all have time to make plans. Are you going to head out to Western MA for our AZ crew ride and Batchlor street? That is also looking like a september ride.

awf170

That should work for me. Lets just pick a date soon so we all have time to make plans. Are you going to head out to Western MA for our AZ crew ride and Batchlor street? That is also looking like a september ride.

How about Sunday September 14th? We'll make it a whole day ride. Heck we could even ride down to Rt. 1 grab lunch then ride some more after!

Yeah I'm definitely in for a Batchlor St. ride. Just pick a date and I'm 90% sure I can make it.

wa-loaf

T The riding on this side isn't really XC at all, and you don't get the greatest cardio workout. We probably only covered 4 or 5 miles and we rode for 3.5 hours. You'll stop take a break, maybe try out of few drops/rollers, take some pics, ride a few hundred yard (usually of very technical singletrack) , and repeat. I mean you can ride it XC style, but unless you are a very, very good rider it would be frustrating because you have to walk a decent amount. This isn't to say that it is all about downhill though because there are quite a few very nice hill climbs. They are very technical and usually pretty short though.

I used to ride there a fair amount about 10 years ago. It's definitely not fast single track, but you can ride through without having to get off the bike too much. There's usually a way around the big drops. The big granite rollers are a blast even if you're not jumping. But if your hanging with the jumpers I guess you'll have to stop anyway.