• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/7 Storm Discussion Thread

RuffusCorncobb

Looks like 18" or so in Western Maine

hard to tell from the drifting but a good guess is 18" here in S Paris Me.. Im about 30 miles south of Sunday River on Rt 26.

looks like a nice dry snow great for the glades and sheltered trails but it may blow off any trails exposed to the wind. its blowing pretty good out there dress warm if you are going out.

skintowin

Looks like it wasn't the three footer we were all hoping for in VT. With heavy winds and ice underneath, it could be a little dicey. Only one way to find out...

dcarbs

when i went to snoblow the driveway the wind made it so i had about 3" on one side and 24-25" on the other side. got about a 8" in all

subdude

That was the most violent 8 inches of snow I've ever experienced. Lightning,thunder,winds up to 50 mph,whiteout conditions and frigid tempertures. It was truly impressive!

RISkier

subdude said:
That was the most violent 8 inches of snow I've ever experienced. Lightning,thunder,winds up to 50 mph,whiteout conditions and frigid tempertures. It was truly impressive!

No kidding. In southern RI we didn't get more than a couple of inchs but it was the nastiest couple of inchs I can ever remember.

cyrk007

I play in a pool league on tuesday nights.. and when i went in my car was clean.. when i came out the snow drift was completely covering my driverside over the wheels... it sucked

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
From the look of the Intellicast 12 hour Java loop, it doesn't look like Northern NH and Western Maine saw much rain at all (Vermont got some). Any locals wanna give us the skinny on who saw rain and who didn't?
It indeed looks like Northern NH and Western Maine were spared much of the rain and picked up a solid 12"+

http://headlines.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=0

skintowin

Very tricky conditions at MRG wednesday. Lots of windslab and a few patches of blue ice. For some reason, though, it never got that windy on the top 400 feet of sunnyside. So there was some good, soft powder up there.
Otherwise, even the deepest, thickest, most hidden and protected woods runs got slabbed.
Anyway, we got another couple of days of spring skiing base out of this storm.

JimG.

Staff member
skintowin said:
Very tricky conditions at MRG wednesday. Lots of windslab and a few patches of blue ice. For some reason, though, it never got that windy on the top 400 feet of sunnyside. So there was some good, soft powder up there.
Otherwise, even the deepest, thickest, most hidden and protected woods runs got slabbed.
Anyway, we got another couple of days of spring skiing base out of this storm.

Figured; heard from another source that it rained before changing over to snow and then it snowed only about 6". Wind was brutal even down here in NY.

Still jealous; wish I could have skiied!