• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/7 Storm Discussion Thread

Zand

Totals just skyrocketed from Mass Pike north. It now looks like 6-8" from the pike to route 2 and possible a foot north of that! Unfortunately, the storm will start as some rain, but new freshies sounds like more than an equalizer.

Also, another coastal storm is forecasted to strike Friday-Saturday.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I awoke during the night to the dreaded sound of rain pattering on the roof. It's a sound I like to hear off-season, but it's amazing how much less soothing the sound is when you're a skier and own an inn in ski country. I awoke expecting the worst, but the ground cover was still pretty thick and like you said, the storm predictions skyrocketed overnight. They're saying around a foot of new snow in the Mad River Valley. With any luck that will translate into 15" plus at Sugarbush and MRG.

subdude

KingM said:
I awoke during the night to the dreaded sound of rain pattering on the roof. It's a sound I like to hear off-season, but it's amazing how much less soothing the sound is when you're a skier and own an inn in ski country. I awoke expecting the worst, but the ground cover was still pretty thick and like you said, the storm predictions skyrocketed overnight. They're saying around a foot of new snow in the Mad River Valley. With any luck that will translate into 15" plus at Sugarbush and MRG.

A classic March Storm that's going to BOMB out in the Gulf of ME. This is just the beginning wait until Fri-Sat :beer:

Terry

3-7 storm thread

was raining here this morning, but has turned to snow!! They are predicting 5-10

Greg

Staff member
From the look of the Intellicast 12 hour Java loop, it doesn't look like Northern NH and Western Maine saw much rain at all (Vermont got some). Any locals wanna give us the skinny on who saw rain and who didn't?

hammer

It just started snowing in Woburn, MA (20 miles north of Boston). There was a bit of heavier NCP for a few hours.

Zand

Wow. This is one of the worst storms of the year. There isn't that much snow, but wow. Whiteout conditions, blizzard conditions, and about a 40 degree temp swing in the last 8 hours. All of the rain that fell earlier froze and all of that ice is under this wet, slushy snow that we're getting now. Winter storm warning, high wind warning, and wind chill advisory are all posted for tonight.

Lostone

We got a lot of rain and wind last night at Sugarbush. :cry:

It has been snowing since this morning, but we need a LOT more! :(

awf170

i cant believe how hard it is snowing now in lynn, it looks worse out(or skiers perspective better) then the blizzard of 05 when we picked up three ft!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skied Bolton today. There was about six inches of fresh on the ground when I took off at 2:30.

Unfortunately the rain from the previous night really froze things up underneath the fresh. So, the conditions really weren't all that great.

Tomorrow should be decent with the additional snow and provided that the winds aren't as bad as forecasted.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
It has been snowing all day here in the MRV, and sometimes it has looked like an absolute blizzard. But oddly, we have less accumulation than I would have thought. A lot of the snowy conditions have just been the wind blowing it around.

I'm not sure, but I think I've shoveled about 5 inches at most. Twelve hours of snowing, I would have thought we'd have more. It will be interesting to see what the mountains received. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd received quite a bit more.

Lostone

If we did, it's gone missing. :eek: :cry:

My car was covered when I got in. Now the right side is caked, but there is nothing on top of her. :(

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
in salem, it's blowing about as hard as i have felt it in a long long time. just came in from hitting the laundromat... was originally going to the grochery store too but forget that! the roads are about as bad as they get! the frozen precip before the snow started really made things a total mess. i barely got up the hill to my drive way. total accumulation is only a few inches with tons of blowing... but it feels brutal out there regardless of accumulation!

Greg

Staff member
I would guess we wound up with about 5". The wind is still whipping it around tonight though. It's brutal out there, but I love it!