• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nassahegan, Burlington, CT - 07-26-08

o3jeff

I originally planned to do a quick ride yesterday after work, but decided against it to give the trails some more time to dry with all the rain we had this week.

Ended up at the beach for most of today and when I got home I was full of energy so I decided to take a ride. Got there around 6 and started with the usual Scoville twisties then crossed over Scoville and did the usual ride through there up to E. Chippens. I decided to ride up E. Chippens to see if there were any other trail heads. Rode up to were the pavement starts and didn't find any.

Back tracked back down the road and back onto the trail and did the "B" and at the end beared right and did an easy loop through there and then back to the Blue trail which brought me back to the car.

Decided it was still early so I crossed rt 69 and went up into the cemetery twisties and rode those for a while up to the fire road before the big climb. I ditched down the fire road back to the cemetery and the car.

Felt good to get out riding and I think I got in all the twisty trails:-D. The trail were actually very dry. Will load up the gps track wither later or tomorrow morning. Need to make something to eat now.

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like you had a good time. I was able to get out for a bit yesterday with my wife too. We got going around 1pm. We hit the twisties north of Scoville and then crossed and rode out to East Chippens on the normal route. Then we crossed and did the short loop back to East Chippens (the same route you and I took that first time Jeff). I was very impressed by Carrie not only attempting several obstacles I didn't think she would but she cleared some of them too. I was very happy by her riding.

Here she is rolling over that tree with the big knot in it just before getting to East Chippens.

DSCN0640.sized.jpg

DSCN0639.sized.jpg

She also made if through a bunch of the rooted sections without much problem, cleared a few tree crossings, and rolled a boulder or two. She was a little hesitant in the narrow twisties at first (anyone who's ridden them knows they are quite narrow), but was able to get used to them pretty quickly and keep a decent pace. :D

ETA: A bonus (I think) is that she's talking about getting clipless pedals now... :)

Last edited:

MR. evil

ETA: A bonus (I think) is that she's talking about getting clipless pedals now... :)

I have a pair of shimmano SPD's she can have.
http://www.spadout.com/p/shimano-m-540-pedal/

All you will have to get are the shoes:-D Just let me know and I will bring them along the next time we ride. They are the pedals that came stock on my bike. I only used them for a couple of months before switching them out.

As it turns out I am seriuslt thinking of switching to platforms. Rode on them today and had a blast! I had alot more confidence on the technical stuff and the sketchy DH's. I felt like I was riding a BMX bike again.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I had A LOT of fun yesterday! The narrow twisties were scary at first, having never done anything like that. But once I got a groove going, it wasn't so bad. I took a nice tumble on that first log B had me try going over. But I laughed it off and kept going. It took a few more tries before I started feeling a little more comfy trying the new stuff. I didn't hit that rock pile the first time because honestly, I didn't see it until I was almost on it and instinctively went around. But I went back and tried it twice. :D Glad I did!

I'm definitely eager to go back to Nass and do what we rode again, plus try some new stuff. A lot more fun than White Memorial and what I tried at Nepaug! :D

And Tim, thanks!!! I can see already what the advantages would be to the clipless pedals.

powhunter

I had A LOT of fun yesterday! The narrow twisties were scary at first, having never done anything like that. But once I got a groove going, it wasn't so bad. I took a nice tumble on that first log B had me try going over. But I laughed it off and kept going. It took a few more tries before I started feeling a little more comfy trying the new stuff. I didn't hit that rock pile the first time because honestly, I didn't see it until I was almost on it and instinctively went around. But I went back and tried it twice. :D Glad I did!

I'm definitely eager to go back to Nass and do what we rode again, plus try some new stuff. A lot more fun than White Memorial and what I tried at Nepaug! :D

And Tim, thanks!!! I can see already what the advantages would be to the clipless pedals.

Glad ya got out and got some!!! Great way to feed the ski jones!!

steveo