• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Event/Trip Forum?

Would you use a hiking event/trip forum?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• No

• Don't Know

• Total voters

Joshua B

Greg said:
Joshua B said:
Again, I think too many different forums on the index page can be daunting to new folks.
Well, my feeling is that if each forum is warranted, i.e. used, then more are fine. However, I do not want any dead wood cluttering up the board. I know phpBB 2.2 will have sub-forums so perhaps the index could contain only "Skiing", "Hiking", and "Other", kinda like this:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/index.php?c=99

Greg, you set up a PHPBB 2.2 test board on your site. Awesome!

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Greg said:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/index.php?c=99

Greg, you set up a PHPBB 2.2 test board on your site. Awesome!
Nope. That's 2.0.6, but with a little trick to collapse all the categories.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I like the idea of starting a forum where we can announce trips and arrange meetings. Maybe we should plan a few "board" events to get to meet some of the people in person. I am not much of a hiker, but easier hikes would appeal to me. SKI/board get togethers definately would appeal to me.

With skiing/boarding trips it is easier to have participants over a wide variety of levels, but on a hiking trip it may be wise to include a "level of difficulty" index so people like me, who are not avid hikers, do not go to the difficult hikes and hold others back.

Pasted this here so it's in the right place. :lol:

MtnMagic

Hey Greg,
You guys have been talking php code. Gee! :)

I propose we take it to the next level. Let's do it and see how it goes!

MtnMagic

So we've polled, discussed it and talked php code. Woo-hoo!
:lol:
I'll go one step further. Anyone what to hike in the Whites during any season? If so, add to this thread and we'll get together to do it -- any day, anytime. Hikers seeking hikers.

Greg

Staff member
Don't fret, Magic. There's a lot on my plate right now. I still plan to add the Calendar mod and respective event forums once the ski resort profiles are complete.

Greg

Staff member
Well, it seems that many of you have been using the T&E forum quite a bit. I guess it's official that it'll remain a permanent forum here as long as there is enough activity to warrant it. It should be interesting to see if it gets used this winter for ski trips.

MtnMagic

Thank you for having it and for keeping it. I for one could have certainly posted more of my hikes and will plan to do so in the future. We have a group that hikes every weekend an all are welcome to join us.

SilentCal

T & E is really helpful but sometimes discouraging. It just makes me want to have more time off of work! :roll: I'm sure that the upcoming ski season will push some traffic there and I'm alreadly churning some ideas for hikes next year.

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
Well, it seems that many of you have been using the T&E forum quite a bit. I guess it's official that it'll remain a permanent forum here as long as there is enough activity to warrant it. It should be interesting to see if it gets used this winter for ski trips.
Well, I must say that I'm very happy to see the T&E forum was used quite a bit this ski season. I hope it continues to get used as we approach the warmer months for some group hikes!

MtnMagic

SilentCal & I have some super ideas for hikes that are very rewarding to those who wish to join in a group hike. I've some nice full weekend traverses planned. Nothing in the wilderness like strenght in numbers, the more the merrier!
MtnMagic.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
RE: Having an interactive calendar.

I think it might be a good idea to have a page that features events listing/calendar for AZ events and other events of interest that resorts could submit to us.