Jay's West Bowl - Final Major Expansion for terrain in the East?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jay's West Bowl - Final Major Expansion for terrain in the East?

Does anyone see any other major trail acreage expansion on the horizon for eastern ski areas?

Outside of Jackson Gore at Okemo, there really hasn't been a major expansion in the east since Jordan Bowl at SR, which was what ten years ago?

The West Bowl at Jay will be completed over the next three years, which should prove to be some very nice terrain. Though short on vert, it will still be nice to have even more lift access terrain to indulge in Jay's legendary powder.

after that, something tells me that pretty much is all she wrote for major terrain expansions in the east.

I have heard that Loon plans on expanding, but the 120 inch annual snowfall isn't very exciting no matter what they open up. I've also heard plans for future expansion at Bretton Woods, then again their lack of vertical is rather unimpressive to me.

sunapee is making a village and adding a new chair and a few more trails, but no one really cares because it is sunapee

bretton woods has already expanded, significantly. not sure where the expansion is currently, but lots has been added and i think the final push is on. loon's expansion trails are already cut, they have just been tied up in legal hogwash that has mostly cleared from what i hear. look for that expansion to start soon. cannon recently expanded towards mittersill with their tuckerbrook area. mittersill expansion seems in limbo right now thank goodness, but that tuckerbrook expansion was sizable with 5 new trails and a new lift cut outta the trees. most areas seem to be expanding "internally" by cutting glades (or in killington's case, adding the local BC onto their maps, lol). i believe the sunapee expansion is in limbo too, hasn't been authorized yet. and that is a major issue with expansions, legal restrictions. also cost effectiveness. how much will another lift and a few more trails bring in revune wise compared to the innitial cost and all follow up expenses. just isn't worth it.

could you shed some light on the jay expansion? this is the first i have heard of it. with exception of the expansions i mentioned, i largely think that you are right in that major terrain expansions will become very rare after the current in progress projects are completed. fine by me, i think we have a diverse enough selection. unless ski areas plan on creating trails they way they used to be again, it's so hard to go back once boulevards are created.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
    Belleayre has had "expansion" in the air for some time now, not sure where though.
    Jays expansion will ruin some great BC in the beaver pond area.
    No snowflake falls in the wrong place.

Jay's West Bowl Expansion is a 250 acre expansion into the west bowl - beyond beaver pond. They plan on adding 3 lifts and I think 18 trails.

While I agree, it is eliminating what is now great back country - I am in favor of this expansion. I've been out well beyond beaver pond and hiked up some of the terrain to ski and well, considering the short vertical (12-1400) of that face of the mountain - I'd just assume take a lift up.

Now, if their expansion plans were for Big Jay, where the work you put in yields some good vertical (not possible as it is now protected land) that I would be against.

Sr has plans for the Backside of Jordan and a village at Jordan. Saddleback has plans for developing "The Horn". Sugarloaf has plans for Burnt mountain. And Big Squaw has plans for a glade skiing only mountain that is connected to the mountain now. Whether any of these projects will evr be completed is yet to be seen.
    www.bigsquawmountain.4t.com<-- Check out the summer Activities
    http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/b...w-forum-1.html<-- The new big Squaw forum, you pick the logo for the board, cast your vote!!!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier
    Jay's West Bowl Expansion is a 250 acre expansion into the west bowl - beyond beaver pond. They plan on adding 3 lifts and I think 18 trails.

While I agree, it is eliminating what is now great back country - I am in favor of this expansion. I've been out well beyond beaver pond and hiked up some of the terrain to ski and well, considering the short vertical (12-1400) of that face of the mountain - I'd just assume take a lift up.

Now, if their expansion plans were for Big Jay, where the work you put in yields some good vertical (not possible as it is now protected land) that I would be against.
    I can recall my first trip to Jay in 1992 and reading signs about the big expansion (golf course, etc). When I returned seven years later the sign was still there. As a passholder in 2002-2003 I was again greeted by that same sign.

Like Burke's "great expansion trail map" from the late 1980's and 1990's, I'll believe it when I see it (and ski it).
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Gore Mountain has plans to add new terrain and lifts that would extend to the North Creek Snow Bowl, increasing the overall vertical drop a few hundred feet in the process.

Whiteface has plans for trails and a lift to the right of the slides that would significantly increase the number of miles of skiing. They also want to build a lodge on the summit of Little Whiteface, as well as a resevoir to increase snowmaking capacity. This expansion may eventually happen in some form, but there is going to be a lot of hurdles-- financial and environmental.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    Gore Mountain has plans to add new terrain and lifts that would extend to the North Creek Snow Bowl, increasing the overall vertical drop a few hundred feet in the process.
    Right...was this the mtn that was overtaking the abandoned ski area?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Mount Snow has plans for an expansion but first water from sommerset and upgrading current lifts.

Thread Information