• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay's West Bowl - Final Major Expansion for terrain in the East?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does anyone see any other major trail acreage expansion on the horizon for eastern ski areas?

Outside of Jackson Gore at Okemo, there really hasn't been a major expansion in the east since Jordan Bowl at SR, which was what ten years ago?

The West Bowl at Jay will be completed over the next three years, which should prove to be some very nice terrain. Though short on vert, it will still be nice to have even more lift access terrain to indulge in Jay's legendary powder.

after that, something tells me that pretty much is all she wrote for major terrain expansions in the east.

I have heard that Loon plans on expanding, but the 120 inch annual snowfall isn't very exciting no matter what they open up. I've also heard plans for future expansion at Bretton Woods, then again their lack of vertical is rather unimpressive to me.

awf170

sunapee is making a village and adding a new chair and a few more trails, but no one really cares because it is sunapee

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
bretton woods has already expanded, significantly. not sure where the expansion is currently, but lots has been added and i think the final push is on. loon's expansion trails are already cut, they have just been tied up in legal hogwash that has mostly cleared from what i hear. look for that expansion to start soon. cannon recently expanded towards mittersill with their tuckerbrook area. mittersill expansion seems in limbo right now thank goodness, but that tuckerbrook expansion was sizable with 5 new trails and a new lift cut outta the trees. most areas seem to be expanding "internally" by cutting glades (or in killington's case, adding the local BC onto their maps, lol). i believe the sunapee expansion is in limbo too, hasn't been authorized yet. and that is a major issue with expansions, legal restrictions. also cost effectiveness. how much will another lift and a few more trails bring in revune wise compared to the innitial cost and all follow up expenses. just isn't worth it.

could you shed some light on the jay expansion? this is the first i have heard of it. with exception of the expansions i mentioned, i largely think that you are right in that major terrain expansions will become very rare after the current in progress projects are completed. fine by me, i think we have a diverse enough selection. unless ski areas plan on creating trails they way they used to be again, it's so hard to go back once boulevards are created.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jay's West Bowl Expansion is a 250 acre expansion into the west bowl - beyond beaver pond. They plan on adding 3 lifts and I think 18 trails.

While I agree, it is eliminating what is now great back country - I am in favor of this expansion. I've been out well beyond beaver pond and hiked up some of the terrain to ski and well, considering the short vertical (12-1400) of that face of the mountain - I'd just assume take a lift up.

Now, if their expansion plans were for Big Jay, where the work you put in yields some good vertical (not possible as it is now protected land) that I would be against.

Skimaine4ever

Website
www.bigsquawmountain.4t.com
Sr has plans for the Backside of Jordan and a village at Jordan. Saddleback has plans for developing "The Horn". Sugarloaf has plans for Burnt mountain. And Big Squaw has plans for a glade skiing only mountain that is connected to the mountain now. Whether any of these projects will evr be completed is yet to be seen.

thetrailboss

Staff member
deadheadskier said:
Jay's West Bowl Expansion is a 250 acre expansion into the west bowl - beyond beaver pond. They plan on adding 3 lifts and I think 18 trails.

While I agree, it is eliminating what is now great back country - I am in favor of this expansion. I've been out well beyond beaver pond and hiked up some of the terrain to ski and well, considering the short vertical (12-1400) of that face of the mountain - I'd just assume take a lift up.

Now, if their expansion plans were for Big Jay, where the work you put in yields some good vertical (not possible as it is now protected land) that I would be against.

I can recall my first trip to Jay in 1992 and reading signs about the big expansion (golf course, etc). When I returned seven years later the sign was still there. As a passholder in 2002-2003 I was again greeted by that same sign.

Like Burke's "great expansion trail map" from the late 1980's and 1990's, I'll believe it when I see it (and ski it). :wink:

takeahike46er

Gore Mountain has plans to add new terrain and lifts that would extend to the North Creek Snow Bowl, increasing the overall vertical drop a few hundred feet in the process.

Whiteface has plans for trails and a lift to the right of the slides that would significantly increase the number of miles of skiing. They also want to build a lodge on the summit of Little Whiteface, as well as a resevoir to increase snowmaking capacity. This expansion may eventually happen in some form, but there is going to be a lot of hurdles-- financial and environmental.

thetrailboss

Staff member
takeahike46er said:
Gore Mountain has plans to add new terrain and lifts that would extend to the North Creek Snow Bowl, increasing the overall vertical drop a few hundred feet in the process.

Right...was this the mtn that was overtaking the abandoned ski area?

powers

A couple of seasons ago when I cut some DH bike trail at Ragged Mt., they were talking about building a village and opening up the last peak that they own. They have already made some new trails on that side that opened a couple of years ago. I don't think they have the $$$ yet due to the golf course not pulling its own and the old farts on the planning board don't want to modernize. There is NOTHING in that town to help with the tax base and the proposed expansion would be far and away from any currently developed areas. Did I let the cat out of the bag?

stomachdoc

We understand that Waterville has completed the permitting process from the National Forest Service to cut trails on the peak above Stillness/Lower Meadows. I'm not sure where they're at with the development of the "Tecumseh Bowl" below the true summit of Mt. Tecumseh. It's my understanding that both these projects are on hold, however, due to the cost of installing snowmaking ponds.

thetrailboss

Staff member
stomachdoc said:
We understand that Waterville has completed the permitting process from the National Forest Service to cut trails on the peak above Stillness/Lower Meadows. I'm not sure where they're at with the development of the "Tecumseh Bowl" below the true summit of Mt. Tecumseh. It's my understanding that both these projects are on hold, however, due to the cost of installing snowmaking ponds.

Waterville expanding? Really? Didn't know that. :idea: This is the first that I've heard of it. Is there anything on their website?

deadheadskier

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
deadheadskier said:

I can recall my first trip to Jay in 1992 and reading signs about the big expansion (golf course, etc). When I returned seven years later the sign was still there. As a passholder in 2002-2003 I was again greeted by that same sign.

Like Burke's "great expansion trail map" from the late 1980's and 1990's, I'll believe it when I see it (and ski it). :wink:

apparently some of the trail work is supposed to begin this summer, but as you said, I'll believe when I ski it

stomachdoc

thetrailboss said:
stomachdoc said:

Waterville expanding? Really? Didn't know that. :idea: This is the first that I've heard of it. Is there anything on their website?

No, they're not expanding anytime soon, as far as I know, but I do know that they have the permits in place to do it if they so choose; but not the funding from the "mother ship" (BoothCreek Resorts) or the final permitting for the snowmaking pond.

smootharc

Probably'll get burned at the stake for suggesting...

....that Sugarbush could add trails within and between existing trail networks that could be killer. I know, here I complain at 110+ trails and 55 miles of skiing, but...

At North, a series of 3 or 4 "mini-Rumble like" trails could be cut to the left of Black Diamond. Short, but classic potential.

At South, Castlerock could get 3 or 4 more classic "rumble-like" trails between Rumble and Middle Earth. Why not ? And to the left as you ride up the chair, well, just use your imagination.

Really, everywhere I look when I ski the 'bush my mind says "wouldn't that be neat if they just....".

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Probably'll get burned at the stake for suggesting...

smootharc said:
....that Sugarbush could add trails within and between existing trail networks that could be killer. I know, here I complain at 110+ trails and 55 miles of skiing, but...

At North, a series of 3 or 4 "mini-Rumble like" trails could be cut to the left of Black Diamond. Short, but classic potential.

At South, Castlerock could get 3 or 4 more classic "rumble-like" trails between Rumble and Middle Earth. Why not ? And to the left as you ride up the chair, well, just use your imagination.

Really, everywhere I look when I ski the 'bush my mind says "wouldn't that be neat if they just....".

Part of the NFS/Green Mtn Natl Forest agreement was that there would be no ski area development in the Slide Brook area, which is between the two areas, so any development there is not likely. As for the summit of Ellen, probably the same because that land is in the GMNF as well. :-?

Their current strategy is to build more condos and stuff at Lincoln Peak to bring in the high rollers...they are also planning on adding another HSQ to replace the aging Valley House Double. Don't know if that is a great idea....

smootharc

Guess so....

....too bad, as it should be about the skiing. You'd think new trails between existing trails would be okay.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Guess so....

smootharc said:
....too bad, as it should be about the skiing. You'd think new trails between existing trails would be okay.

Unfortunately they don't "make any money" on the ski business and have to look to real estate/land to make the $$$.

I haven't heard of any terrain expansions there, except for the new glades.

mergs

Re: Probably'll get burned at the stake for suggesting...

smootharc said:

True that... but I'd rather hunt and peck around in the woods, and find all the secrets them locals have been keeping from me all these years. :) ;)

Trees are good, the powder "stays". 8)