• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/11 - 3/12 Storm Discussion Thread

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I'll be in the North Conway/Jackson area for the weekend! I hope we get hammered!

Now that I have a car that will move in the stuff I am not worried.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks good...probably skiing tomorrow on my way north to see the Grandmother who is in the hosp.

Saturday we are driving up with our Girl Scouts for their sleep-over and ski day at Pat's, so it looks like more Pow for TB to play in Saturday PM and Sunday AM before he plays ski guide :wink:

Vortex

Bud I hope Gram Trailboss heals soon. I got the Burke Report 14 inches of fresh snow out of last storm. I saw Greg's linc. My favorite www.snow-forecast.com prediction 20 inches from Friday night into Late Sat night at Loon. My linc takes more work. Computer Challenged :cry:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bob R said:
Bud I hope Gram Trailboss heals soon. I got the Burke Report 14 inches of fresh snow out of last storm. I saw Greg's linc. My favorite www.snow-forecast.com prediction 20 inches from Friday night into Late Sat night at Loon. My linc takes more work. Computer Challenged :cry:

She's actually doing real well now, thanks for asking :D

Wish I was at Burke sampling the goods....must be darn sweet! :)

Big Game

snow-forecast can be quite a handful...th 3-7 storm they had 20+ for even southren vt...pretty sure that didn't happen.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Big Game said:
snow-forecast can be quite a handful...th 3-7 storm they had 20+ for even southren vt...pretty sure that didn't happen.

They're already hyping it here in Boston... :roll:

JimG.

Staff member
Big Game said:

Me too, but don't tell Killington...their site says they've gotten 12" in the past 48 hours. In fact, Killington gets 12" of new snow every 48 hours according to their site. Amazing how all that new snow disappears before it ever gets consolidated into the base there.

Vortex

I choose the forecast that pedicts the most snow. :D The thing I like about Snow-forecast is they give elevation temperatures and do give snow total predictions, not all do. All forecasts seem to be inacurate. If I ever chose another profession,
Predicting the weather would be something I would condsider. I love the weather channel.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bob R said:
I choose the forecast that pedicts the most snow. :D

I try to be optimistic as well :wink:

Bob R said:
Predicting the weather would be something I would condsider. I love the weather channel.

Hey, study at Lyndon State, get your degree, and SKI AT BURKE while you're at it :wink: :D

Have you put in the order for our new groomers? Maybe we can get Greg to underwrite this project after AZ takes over Sugarbush :wink: :lol:

Vortex

One Degree, One large debt from College. 10 years to pay it off. Don't want to do that again. Just Lazy really. :wink: The idea of hanging out and skiing and calling it college... I could do that again though. :idea:

thetrailboss

Staff member
KingM said:
Looks good...probably skiing tomorrow on my way north to see the Grandmother who is in the hosp.

So your grandmother is staying in a ski-in/ski-out hospital? Now that would be something pretty cool. ;)

That would be! :idea:

She is at Dartmouth-Hitchcock and our little hill is on the way.

BTW...they are closing in three weeks and Trailboss here wrote them to see if they could open the first weekend of April (due to snow and because they missed their Dec opening) Here was the response:

"Thank you for your online inquiry. We would love to be open in April but unfortunatly people just aren't thinking of skiing! We will be closing for the season Sunday, March 27th. We are thrilled to hear you had a great season and hope to see you on the slopes for the first run in December. [...] We are expecting new snow this weekend which only makes conditions better.
See you on the slopes, think snow!
Skier Services"

:-?

Well, I tried, but having maybe several feet of snow on the slopes and being closed is not fun (sigh) the problems with late season snow...there isn't anywhere open to ski (Tux is an option, I know, I know).

Zand

How many of these have we seen this year?

...CENTRAL MIDDLESEX COUNTY MA-CHESHIRE NH-EASTERN FRANKLIN MA- EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-EASTERN HILLSBOROUGH NH- HARTFORD CT-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-NORTHWEST MIDDLESEX COUNTY MA- SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-TOLLAND CT-WESTERN AND CENTRAL HILLSBOROUGH NH- WESTERN ESSEX MA-WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-WESTERN HAMPDEN MA- WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-WINDHAM CT- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... AMHERST... BRISTOL... CHICOPEE... EAST HARTFORD... FITCHBURG... FRAMINGHAM... GREENFIELD... HARTFORD... JAFFREY... KEENE... LAWRENCE... LEOMINSTER... LOWELL... MANCHESTER... MANSFIELD... MILFORD... NASHUA... NEW BRITAIN... NEWINGTON... NORTHAMPTON... PLAINFIELD... PUTNAM... SPRINGFIELD... VERNON... WEST HARTFORD... WILLIMANTIC... WINDSOR LOCKS AND WORCESTER 355 PM EST THU MAR 10 2005
... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON TO SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON MA HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH. THIS WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR NORTHERN CONNECTICUT... ALL OF INTERIOR MASSACHUSETTS FROM THE CONNECTICUT VALLEY NORTHEAST THROUGH THE MERRIMACK VALLEY AS WELL AS FOR ALL OF SOUTHWEST NEW HAMPSHIRE.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE CONNECTICUT VALLEY EARLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON REACHING THE MERRIMACK VALLEY AND SOUTHWEST NEW HAMPSHIRE BY LATE AFTERNOON. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW MAY BE ON THE GROUND BY FRIDAY EVENING.

SNOW MAY DIMINISH IN INTENSITY FOR A WHILE FRIDAY NIGHT BUT IS EXPECTED TO BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH ABOUT NOON SATURDAY. SNOW WILL COME TO END DURING THE MID AFTERNOON ACROSS THE CONNECTICUT VALLEY... ENDING BY EVENING IN THE MERRIMACK VALLEY.

WHILE THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY AS TO HOW QUICKLY THE STORM WILL INTENSIFY AS IT PASSES NEW ENGLAND... BUT BY THE TIME IT ALL ENDS LATE SATURDAY... 6 OR MORE INCHES MAY BE ON THE GROUND. THE POTENTIAL DOES EXIST FOR AS MUCH AS A FOOT OF SNOW ACROSS THE WORCESTER HILLS NORTHEAST THROUGH THE INTERIOR MERRIMACK VALLEY.

ANYONE WITH TRAVEL PLANS FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY SHOULD PLAN ON SNOWY TRAVEL AND SLIPPER ROADS....

I'd say we've had a pretty good winter this year. Let's hope this continues even longer. We're not getting the spring shaft like the last 3 years.[/url]

thetrailboss

Staff member
Zand said:

We're not getting the spring shaft like the last 3 years.

Hope not :-? . Though skiers disappear in March/April and so do open areas for us to go to. In Dec when it was raining, I was wondering if this was going to happen :x ...take what we can get I guess :wink:

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Zand said:

We're not getting the spring shaft like the last 3 years.

Hope not :-? . Though skiers disappear in March/April and so do open areas for us to go to. In Dec when it was raining, I was wondering if this was going to happen :x ...take what we can get I guess :wink:
Guess it's time to earn your turns this spring...