• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Marshall From ADK Loj

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: 07/27/2008

Trails(s) Hiked: Van Hovenberg to Marcy Dam, Avalanche Pass to Lake Colden, trail 121 & the herd path up Herbert Brook

Total Distance: approx 15.8 miles

Difficulty: moderate, some easy, some fairly easy route finding, some uneven trail through Avalanche Pass

Conditions: wet & muddy

Special Required Equipment: feet that love water & mud, teh upper section of the herd path was brook-like.

Trip Report: on my way to the Loj Saturday Night, my car overheated & I learned the radiator had a hole, so I had all day to complete this hike, the trip through Avalanche Pass & along Avalanche Lake may be the 2nd most spectacular lake area in the East after Baxter State Park's Chimney Pond. Herbert Brook when full of water was like a post card, Green moss covered rocks cascades & falls, & quiet pools. Being full of water meant that the higher section was full of mud & water.

The short spur beyond the actual summit leads to a really nice view of Marcy, Redfield & a lot of wilderness. While the summit may not have a lot of views, the spur beyond, the brook & lake views made it well worthwhile.