• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nye & Street from ADK Loj 07-31-2008

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: 07-31-2008

Trails(s) Hiked: Indian Pass Trail to Old Nye Ski Trail & herd paths

Total Distance: Approx 7.8 miles

Difficulty: modereate although with the brook as high as it was, that was the hardest part of the trip

Conditions: muddy & wet as usual, the brook turned a few people back but I was taller than them had crossed deeper, faster streams in October. Quite a bit of downed trees, this also provided a few views from the trail of the MacIntyre Range.

Special Required Equipment: poles were necessry for the brook crossing, I don't know if I would have tried it without them.

Trip Report: Instead of false summits, this trip had the false trail junction, as both summits are reached from a "T" junction at the top of the ridge. At first I couldn't see the Street summit signs but passed the summit to get the view from just beyond the summit. A great view of the MacIntyre Range. Saw the summit signs after the view.

Mike P.

No pictures it was way lower than Franconia Brook last October & far warmer. I had been turned back here a couple of Decembers ago also.

Franconia Brook last year was faster, colder & was high hip, almost waist deep when leaning into the current to keep on my feet.

I figure on a 1-10 scale for crossing with a 10 being doable but who look back & say that was really stupid & you bushwhack back insead of crossing again (see Franconia brook tale aboe or my october TR) & an 11 being lose footing, drift downstream & maybe drown this crossing for a 6' 220 experienced hiker was a 7.5

harder than many but at no point did I think, this was dumb.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Glad to see you didn't have any problems with the herd paths (for the benefit of others, Street and Nye do not have maintained or marked trails on them). Street & Nye and Redfield were two trips I had to do twice due to getting horribly lost and having to try again another day.

Mike P.

Now that the unmaintained herd paths are maintained, they are not too bad to follow. The trail crews (Pete Hickey of VFTT in fact had recently lead a group that signed in at the register that serves both Indian Pass and Street & Nye) have donea decent job blocking the false paths.

Redfield I did a couple of years ago & the path took longer than I thought but where I was unsure on which way to go, I could usually see a downed tree that had been cut. No one cuts trees in the middle of nowhere.

I have 11 left for the 46 & the NE115, 9 "trail-less" including 4 Sewards & 3 the Santanonni's. (Cliff, Gray, Dial & Nipple top, leaving Dial & Nipple top for last)

ComeBackMudPuddles

Now that the unmaintained herd paths are maintained, they are not too bad to follow. The trail crews (Pete Hickey of VFTT in fact had recently lead a group that signed in at the register that serves both Indian Pass and Street & Nye) have donea decent job blocking the false paths.

Redfield I did a couple of years ago & the path took longer than I thought but where I was unsure on which way to go, I could usually see a downed tree that had been cut. No one cuts trees in the middle of nowhere.

I have 11 left for the 46 & the NE115, 9 "trail-less" including 4 Sewards & 3 the Santanonni's. (Cliff, Gray, Dial & Nipple top, leaving Dial & Nipple top for last)

Maintained trails on Street and Nye? Who would have thunk it? I haven't been up there since 1991 or 1992....I'm sure it keeps people from getting lost, and it restricts damage to well-defined areas, but, there probably is a bit of adventure lost.

Congrats on your upcoming accomplishments!! Almost there! I am amazed by your planning to leave Nippletop as the culmination of both the 46 and the NE115. :smile:

Mike P.

A couple of cairns & blocking of the wrong paths is about all they are doing, there was quite a bit of blow down below the ridge & above where you leave the side of the brook, (or in some cases the brook itself).

I finished NH & The 65 (at that time - I had to go back & do Reddington as part of the 115) on Moriah. It had a view & not too high or strenous so my wife & Mom - 56 at the time could go. When I finished NH48 X 2 seasons, I finished on Cannon so kids, wife & my non-hikingg Dad could join me on top.

Never really intended to do the 115 (from fairly early on I did think about being a 46er but I was single at the time & had a friend I did a lot of hiking with for a few years. I had thought I'd finish with him - that did not work out) So after a few years, I did not have many with views or trails left.

Dix was in contention for last but last year I met a great group of hikers on the trail & they were looking at doing all the Dix's. I had planned on just Macomb, S. & E. Dix & Hough but was not going to pass up a chance to do them all with a very strong & fun group. (Same reason I did Fort although I will unlikely do New England 100 or Catskills I'm 1/2 done there)

I wanted to finish up someplace with a view, a trail, (so I did not have to factor the possibility of getting lost into the plan), not too many miles & hopefully I can get the kids & wife to hike up with me. (They are 8 & 5 now so we would be talking no sooner than when they are 10 & 7)