• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gear Euphoria

patentcad

Website
www.patentcad.com
If you read my review of the Volkl 5-Star/Marker Binding/Salomon Ellipse 9.0 boots you know that I'm pretty stoked. Today was my second day out on this setup and I have to say that it's pretty exciting when your skiing cranks up a level thanks to your equipment. That only happened once before for me in 40 years on skis - back in 1995 when fat skis helped me ski powder like a Warren Miller ski film extra the first run down while cat skiing at Grand Targhee. They're not dumb out there - they lend you fat skis for FREE when you sign up for the cat skiing - because they know just how transcendent the experience will be for their clients and how much easier it makes powder/junk snow for skiiers of just about any ability level.

The Volkls are doing similar things for me on Eastern hardpack and boilerplate. Man, these skis are just incredible. They turn as fast as I can think, carve like nothing in my experience and allow me to ski at high speed with total calm composure. I haven't skiied in 8 years and after three days I'm at or beyond where I was when I last was on skis. That's not my athletic ability sports fans, not by a long shot. That's a gear thing, and it's pretty amazing when it happens to you. Bear in mind these are the first shaped skis I've ever owned and the first Volkls I've owned in over 30 years (the last pair was so long ago they were WOOD if you can believe that). The boots help with their edge feel and total comfort. I take them off at day's end and NO sore sports.

I feel like Rumplestiltski - like the guy who fell asleep for eight years, woke up and found himself in a new gear universe: ). Makes me wonder how the ski industry is going to top this stuff?

thetrailboss

Staff member
patentcad said:
I feel like Rumplestiltski - like the guy who fell asleep for eight years, woke up and found himself in a new gear universe: ). Makes me wonder how the ski industry is going to top this stuff?

Hard telling :wink:

bigbog

...what worries me is the haste at which the ski companies are sometimes at to drop a ski for the sake of "Change". I just hope the industry never gets to a point of gimicks....(ie "Symmetrical-Processing Clustered 128bit-chips ski featuring 6" of Intelligent Levitation").. 8) I still enjoy perspiring a little, feeling the sun on the face, feeling & hearing the breezes, and feeling the terrain pushing against my feet. (...pardon the poetic crapola.. :p :p :p )