• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Newbie here, questions, comments etc.

B

b-c-ski

I have been looking for a forum like this for a while now. Is it possible to advetise other places. I may say something about it on the amc forum. Anyway, I got into bc skiing two years ago, when the snow was waist deep everywhere. What a year to start. I have been out in the back country twice this year. Once, we did Mt Chocorua (as suggested in Goodmans book). I would not recommend this trip. There were some snowfields at the summit, but the wind really packed the snow down. The trail was sketchy and fun at the same time. It was very narrow at the top, and you really couldn't find any off trail glades to make turns in. If someone can tell me otherwise, I'd love to hear it, but until then I will not be returning.

This past weekend, me and a friend went to smuggs. We decided that we would hike around and if nothing that great turned up then we'd just get a 1/2 day at the resort. Turns out we found exactly what we were looking for. I don't know the name or anything, but this chute is on the right if you go up the notch road from the jeffersonville side. It turned out to be about 1500 to 2000 vertical (appx). The slope was much like tuckermans, and if the conditions were not stable it would have avalanched. We guessed about 45 to 50 degrees. I will not do that climb again without crampons, way to sketchy. If you started sliding, the only thing that would stop you would be the rocks below. I guess my question is, does anyone know the chute I'm talking about, and does anyone know the name? Also, are there pictures of this area somewhere on the web?

I look forward to sharing the gems that I find in the future and reading about yours.

Let it snow!!!