• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

stuff to do in the central/southern whites

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Is that the water park??? I know there is a waterpark somewhere near Loon
I believe that's Whale's Tale in North Woodstock/Lincoln area.

Flume Gorge is a natural occurrence in the Whites. Beautiful. I'd highly recommend that... walking around at the Basin is nice, too (and pretty close by... all in the area of Cannon).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My neck of the woods. Ashland is 1.5 towns south of Campton. Lots of suggestions so far are not "central/southern" whites such as the Auto Road which is a 1.5 hour drive up and around the Whites from Campton. Lots to do in the I-93 corridor so I really don't see much point in heading any further north than Franconia Notch unless you have done a lot of stuff around the I-93 corridor of have a specific thing you are interested in.

For hikes, there are tons of short and quality hikes in the Waterville Valley area. Waterville Cascades is right near the old ski area across from Waterville Valley which is a nice short hike with with waterfalls. And the Greeley Ponds trail is a generally flat trail that goes to the sensational Greeley Ponds seanic area and has tons of great short hikes that branch off towards interesting features. For young kids, you gotta keep it pretty level, short, and fun. Flume Gorge in Franconia Notch, Polar Caves in Rumney, and Lost River Gorge in North Woodstock are all shorter hikes with some sensationally cool things to look at.

Lincoln's gondola is a great idea. They have a short hike with caves to crawl in at the summit. Cannon's Tram has a much more sensational view with a short summit loop and 360 views from the look out tower.

Whale's Tale waterpark just south of the Franconia Notch is a good small waterpark. Right down the road from Whale's Tale is Clark's Trading Post where you can feed the bears and ride a train with a show. Lincoln also has a train ride that goes down to Campton and back. About an hour south is Funspot which boasts the most arcade games in the world (tons of classics, great place) which also has a kiddy area (very close to Weir's Beach as well for your beach and boating options).

Cog and Alpine Slides at Attitash are pushing past an hour drive but are both fun options. You will probably have to ride double with the younger kids if you gave the Alpine Slide an shot (I think they have waterslides too, or at least they used to).

My absolute top recommendation for you would be Clark's Trading Post. I have sensationally fun memories of that place from being a kid (though it isn't much to me any more, lol). Waterville Valley has your short hiking options. Add in the Tram or Gondola as well as a Flume (or Lost River or Polar Caves) would make it a weekend without driving all over the place after driving long distance.

bvibert

Staff member
Lots of good suggestions, I've done most of them at sometime or another. The cog is expensive, but pretty cool. The kids might get a kick out of it, then again they may get scared on the way down since the whole car shakes and sways around. If you're up in the area of Wildcat they run a gondola to the top (at least they used to) which was fun, but there wasn't a whole lot to do at the top, aside from the admiring Washington for a while. As mentioned, Cannon's tram has really cool views as well, with the added bonus of an easy hiking path loop at the top, with an observation tower that makes the view that much better. They also have facilities up there so you can grad some food if you wish. On your way to Cannon you can stop at the Flume, which is really cool, but you have to pay a fee to get in. On the way back south you can stop by the basin, which is a cool natural formation that has easy hiking trails to it and is free. I think the kids would really think it's rad (I know I did as a kid), it's still a normal stop for me whenever I'm in the area. I haven't been to the Whale's Tale in several years, but I remember it being a fun time as a kid and it's something different for the area.

Vortex

Welch dickey trail. if you are staying at your friends place its probaly 10 minutes. best easty hike in the region IMO with awesome views.. Trying to find a way to make it up there Sat night to do it myself Sunday am..

Clarks is an excellent choice for very litte money. Other is go to ski fanatics and take one the tours down the pemi. Resonable price. Go see Don tell him your from this board. Entire group are awesome.

Last edited:

Vortex

I don't know Steve. I did it with mine, but some of the rocks could be difficult. Yes I went with Noseworthy. Using Julia. same people. Gettign alot of views. More than with the prior agent.

Yes I have 3 happy locals. I have started to use my campton place, casue I still have it. I put some money into it to improve it, but still trying to sell or at the least get a season renat come fall. At this point I have been using it.

Steve hope your ok after the flooding. I mentioned that in a lift lines thread. I'm more interested in going up to see if my place is still dry.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
We're high and dry here. A good solid 60-70 feet above the river (which is flowing damn fast and above its normal banks). The Pemi is an interesting river. We are at a fairly wide section that floods the fields down below often times. So it can be really bad closer to the town but up here it seems fine. Where the river pinches down and gets closer to homes lower down, I am sure it can get ugly. Sounds like just north of town was where it got nailed. I practically live in Holderness/Plymouth and don't really keep up with anything Ashland related.

2knees

weather was freaky to say the least. Some poor family had their car washed down what apparently was a road and a 7 year old girl was killed. Awful stuff. I had no idea how much rain had/has fallen up there this summer. We kept out activities pretty simple. Did Santa's village, storyland and the Loon gondola. The caves were pretty cool but talk about wet and slippery. I was the typical overpretective dad as my 2 1/2 year old just about jumped off the walkway to get down to some of the caves.

I did try the rockwall at Loon. first time i've ever done that. pretty cool. I took the 2nd hardest one but came up about 3 feet short of the top. My fingers cramped up on me and i fell off.

powbmps

Did you man-up and do the Cuckoo Clockenspiel? :puke:

Vortex

Glad you are okay. Riv. Some of the pictures were worse than I expected. I'll make another try to get up north this weekend. We'll see. Like to hike the WD loop on Sunday am. I never get tired of that hike.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Glad you are okay. Riv. Some of the pictures were worse than I expected. I'll make another try to get up north this weekend.
I still haven't seen any pictures but it is extremely localized. I still haven't seen any damage personally in the northern Ashland, Holderness, and Plymouth areas.