Nassahegan, Burlington, CT - 08/09/08

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Talking Nassahegan, Burlington, CT - 08/09/08

My wife and I were able to get away from the kids for a while today. What better thing to do on a beautiful 70 degree day than go for a MTB ride. We got going about 2 hours later than originally planned due to pure laziness and an emergency bike repair that I caught just before leaving. As we were getting ready at the trail head a pretty weary rider came out and advised to be careful as it was very wet and slippery in there. We started with the typical twisties north of scoville before heading across to the twisties south of scoville. There were some more softer spots than usual, but nothing especially slippery, I think that a lot of it dried out by the time we got in there after noon. I noticed that someone did some nice trail work on the ending part of the latter section just before hitting east chippens, in the section that's almost always wet. They did some rock armoring of some of the real muddy parts and put in a braid block or two. We headed across east chippens and did all of b-street this time before doubling back on the main trail and taking the quicker way back to the car. My wife continued to progress and handled several obstacles without incident.

I did a quick solo jaunt across into the cemetery twisties to see if my latest repair attempts were successful. It appears so as I didn't have any problems. The repair that I preformed right before leaving was to clean, reassemble, and readjust my rear hub as it had loosened up and I believe was the main cause of my problems.

Brian

Good to see you got a ride in today. Sounds like you figured out that deraleur too.

Sounds like fun!
    Sev try out the spd's yet?
    Building a quiver is just foreplay for snowgasms

Quote Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
    Sounds like fun!
    Sev try out the spd's yet?
    Not yet. Still need shoes. I'm trying to hit up the parental units for some early birthday cash to put towards them. I'm a poor student now, remember?

I had a lot of fun! Getting easier to go over the usual obstacles... the rock pile with the knotty log (which is what we posted for pictures before) did throw me this time. I hit it at the wrong angle, but I recovered for the most part. No harm. A few new things... I did go over a very little "bridge" today. Without incident, too! Would have loved to have stayed out longer today. Next time!
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    A few new things... I did go over a very little "bridge" today. Without incident, too!
    Lemme guess. At the end of the B Street section? Nice. Everything is a stepping stone. Nice job getting out!
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Lemme guess. At the end of the B Street section? Nice. Everything is a stepping stone. Nice job getting out!
    I guess it was towards the end of b street. I think we're talking about the same one.
    Brian

Good job Carrie!
    With me, riding tentatively at the moment, and you getting out there with enthusiasm, you're probably riding stuff I won't.
    This is awesome!
    Building a quiver is just foreplay for snowgasms

They're not spectacular, but Brian did shoot a couple short vids.

www.bvibert.com/img/MTB/P8090005.MOV
    www.bvibert.com/img/MTB/P8090006.MOV

The 2nd one is the roller (that I had described as a small drop in another thread ). Hard to tell though...
    Last edited by bvibert; Aug 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM. Reason: fixed URLs
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I noticed that someone did some nice trail work on the ending part of the latter section just before hitting east chippens, in the section that's almost always wet. They did some rock armoring of some of the real muddy parts and put in a braid block or two.
    Yes, indeed. Some nice "masonry" covering up the muddiest spots in there now. Nice work whoever that was. I sometimes feel compelled to stop and fix something sometimes, but don't because (a) I don't know what I'm doing (not that it's rocket science) and (b) usually am having too much fun riding. There is one spot on the straight part of B Street that desperately needs a bridge of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    They're not spectacular, but Brian did shoot a couple short vids.

www.bvibert.com/img/MTB/P8090005.MOV
    www.bvibert.com/img/MTB/P8090006.MOV

The 2nd one is the roller (that I had described as a small drop in another thread ). Hard to tell though...
    For whatever reason, I can't figure out where these area shot. Nice riding!

Thread Information