• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New boots

patentcad

Website
www.patentcad.com
I skied again this morning for 3 hours, some of it on a relatively steep trail with heavy spring snow. When I got my boots off my lower legs/shins/feet weren't sore at all. These Salomon Eclipse boots really are the most comfortable and best ski boot I've ever had- nothing else even comes close. At one point skiing this morning I remember thinking that I should crank them down a peg or two - but I never did. The edge feel and response is excellent. At 30mph this morning I sensed my edge starting to hang on some heavy snow - something that you might not sense without good boot sensation and response - and was able to make one of those 30+ years of skiing 'I know what THAT means, hurry, lift your foot or it's instant yard sale' adjustments. I looked awkward for a moment, made two turns and kept skiing instead of exploding in a shower of skis, poles, goggles, etc. That's the kind of move you learn to make only AFTER having plenty of catch-an-edge total yard sale wipeouts. You develop a sixth sense about it with experience - and you can avoid many of them.

No matter what the Salomon website says I'd reccommend the Ellipse series to anyone tired of ski boots that hurt them. I don't know if the Ellipse would satisfy the hottest skiers here, but it has more than adequate performance for me, and they're like wearing a pair of comfortable workboots. Amazingly comfortable for downhill ski boots and plenty of edge feel/control. Crank them down and they're certainly capable of being stiff. Or ski them a bit loose in total comfort even on your worst days.