• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should we disable the member post count?

Should we disable the member post count?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Things happen behind the scences .

like a secret alpine zone society or something? :spin:

AZ skull & bones :lol:

One things for certain. When the polls are in and all is said and done, I'll be somewhat saddened. The further this topic is discussed the more humor I find in how serious it is being taken.

wa-loaf

Its not always so black and white. Things happen behind the scences with other members voicing there opinion or leaving that affect how we do things. We decided to let the members decided. Take the poll your voice counts as to what happens.

Oh c'mon! This poll would have never come up without all f-ing around that's been done with GSS and his reaction to it. This is purely here to make him squirm.

wa-loaf

Also, I voted yes by accident. Someone please change it to no.

Paul

One things for certain. When the polls are in and all is said and done, I'll be somewhat saddened. The further this topic is discussed the more humor I find in how serious it is being taken.

Like a carnival side-show, ain't it?

nail.jpg

Greg

Staff member
The further this topic is discussed the more humor I find in how serious it is being taken.

Historically, we've been pretty serious on maintaining the credibility of this site. When you joined DHS, we took that very seriously. In the past year or two, we've lightened up a lot and have done very little moderating or any changes like the one proposed here to help the board evolve. There is one thing that I've learned from running this board for the past 7+ years and that is you simply can't please everybody.

For all those that think this is an overreaction, there are an equal number of members that think we should have implemented this long ago. Similarly, however the poll shakes out and whatever the result is there will be some that like it, and some that don't. With that said, polling stuff like this out is the fairest way I know of to decide whether or not to implement something like this.

Oh c'mon! This poll would have never come up without all f-ing around that's been done with GSS and his reaction to it. This is purely here to make him squirm.

I can't argue the fact that this is in response to post whoring with GSS being the prime example of that, but it's not being done to make GSS squirm. His recent antics simply resulted in this idea being brought up. One particular long time member who has contributed a lot in the form of very helpful content, and who is pretty respected for it on this and other similar forums, is basically leaving the site because of the GSS charade. Personally, I think that's an overreaction, but it's a reality and quite frankly a bit of a shame to lose a quality member whether the reason is justifiable or not.

Also, I voted yes by accident. Someone please change it to no.

Will do.

BeanoNYC

Could you change my yes to a no then back to a yes then back to a no then back to a yes then back to a no and back to a yes?

Could this be done? Yes? No?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Historically, we've been pretty serious on maintaining the credibility of this site. When you joined DHS, we took that very seriously. In the past year or two, we've lightened up a lot and have done very little moderating or any changes like the one proposed here to help the board evolve. There is one thing that I've learned from running this board for the past 7+ years and that is you simply can't please everybody.

For all those that think this is an overreaction, there are an equal number of members that think we should have implemented this long ago. Similarly, however the poll shakes out and whatever the result is there will be some that like it, and some that don't. With that said, polling stuff like this out is the fairest way I know of to decide whether or not to implement something like this.

Guess I hadn't noticed that much of a change in moderation style in my time here. I've visited some of the other ski sites and the flame wars there are fairly annoying, so I've stuck to posting here. My feeling is that absent a few bumps in the road, azone is a pretty civil place and I really don't understand the concept of a message board evolving, other than technology. From my understanding the rules are pretty simple, no politics, no religion (other than the Grateful Dead ;) ) and no personal attacks.

You are right though, you can't please everyone; hell homeboy can't even get a surfing subforum :mad: One thing that is also true however is there will always be certain members who dislike other members; human nature. It's unfortunate to read about the one member deciding to leave. To me that sounds like a problem between individuals, not the board itself. Perhaps what this board needs is not more moderation, but a mediator. :lol: I nominate Paul for that job

SkiDork

One particular long time member who has contributed a lot in the form of very helpful content, and who is pretty respected for it on this and other similar forums, is basically leaving the site because of the GSS charade. Personally, I think that's an overreaction, but it's a reality and quite frankly a bit of a shame to lose a quality member whether the reason is justifiable or not.

IMHO leaving the board over the GSS stuff is a bit childish and/or naive. This is what happens on Internet forums, best is to just ignore the noise and keep on comin back.

kcyanks1

I don't have a strong preference about the post count, but I voted to get rid of it. I used USENET for years without a post count, and I don't think it was an issue. I definitely say no to the "rep" system though. I don't think it's necessary and think it can only cause animosity.

Greg

Staff member
I really don't understand the concept of a message board evolving, other than technology.

Disallowing politics is one example of how this forum has evolved. Most people felt that was a good move.

IMHO leaving the board over the GSS stuff is a bit childish and/or naive. This is what happens on Internet forums, best is to just ignore the noise and keep on comin back.

I totally agree, but again it is what it is, and this poll/thread is a way to see if any others feel similarly.

kcyanks1

Just to add, I don't really care at all about GSS's mass postings. If anything went on in the miscellaneous forums, I could've just missed it, since I don't really read those often. But his post whoring in the main forum doesn't bother me.. I find it amusing, in fact. If everyone did it, then I'd say it would be annoying. But I don't think making drastic changes because of an outlier is necessary, and I think overall his contributions are positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.