• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Knife Edge, Katahdin, Hamlin Pk Circular - September 6, 2002

askus3

Date of Hike: Friday, September 6, 2002

Pictures: link to Gallery - Baxter Park Trip - Album II - #4

Route: This was a circular hike out of the Roaring Brook Campground. For our ascent up Pamola, we followed the Helon Taylor Trail in its entirety. From Pamola to the summit of Katahdin we followed the Knife Edge Trail. Descending Katahdin to the Saddle we followed the Saddle Trail. Continuing along the rim of the Great Basin, we now were on the Northwest Basin Trail to Caribou Spring. From Caribou Spring, we climbed over Hamlin Peak and descended the Hamlin Ridge line separating the Great Basin from North Basin, using the Hamlin Ridge Trail. Now in the trees, we took a short jog to the left on the North Basin Trail and then we resumed our descent to the right on the North Basin Cut-off. We then finished our hike by entering into the Chimney Pond Trail, making a left and winding our way back down to Roaring Brook Campground.

Total Distance: 12.5 miles

Difficulty: strenuous

Conditions: excellent

Weather: sunny 60

Participants: Aaron Schoenberg, Dean Gletsos, Alex Lantino, Eileen Berch, (Lake George group) John Devine, Bill Glendening & Bill La Rocque.

Hike Statistics: Total elevation gain: 4,990 feet.

0.0 1480 6:35 AM Roaring Brook CG - Start of Hike
---- 2000 7:10-7:15 stop
---- 2400 7:30-7:35 stop
---- 2800 7:55-8:05 stop
---- 3200 8:25-8:30 stop
---- 3600 8:55-9:00 stop
---- 4000 9:25-9:30 stop
---- 4450 9:50-10:00 stop
4.6 4919 10:20-10:45 Pamola - lunch
---- 4880 11:05-11:15 Chimney Peak
---- 5240 12:20-12:40 South Peak
5.7 5271 1:05-1:40 Mt. Katahdin
5.9 5000 1:55 Cathedral Trail Junction
6.2 4600 2:15 Jct. Cathedral Cut-off & Baxter Cut-off
6.7 4280 2:30-2:45 The Saddle
7.7 4600 3:20-3:30 Caribou Spring
7.9 4756 3:40-3:45 Hamlin Peak
---- 4310 4:05-4:15 stop
---- 3680 4:40-4:45 stop
9.5 2980 5:10-5:25 Jct. North Basin Trail
10.2 2530 5:50 Jct. North Basin Cut-off with Chimney Pond Tr
10.4 2460 6:00-6:10 Basin Pond
---- 2310 6:20 PM view
---- 1940 6:35 stop
12.5 1480 7:10 PM Roaring Brook CG - End of Hike

Trip Report: Spectacular hike on a spectacular day. The park authorities, weather people and anyone that would talk about the weather all agreed several days in advance that Friday was going to be nice, so we planned with the Lake George group that met us that on Friday we would do this great hike.

We started out early (from outside the park where we were staying) to insure that there would be no problem getting into Roaring Brook Campground. This being a long popular hike on a beautiful day, we wanted no problems being able to get in and complete the hike as planned. We wanted to take advantage of the daylight. We were the fourth car in line at the Togue Pond gatehouse that opened at 6 AM. We arrived at 5:35 AM.

Although I did this hike before in 1979, it was a first time for others in the group and this hike is always worth repeating. We all were in awe of the spectacular beauty of this region and more specifically this hike. Originally, I wanted to come down from Katahdin via the Cathedral Trail to Chimney Pond, which is not advised for descent, and we never did. We were supposed to climb Hamlin Peak on Tuesday as part of the other Katahdin hike, but that extension was postponed, justifiably so. Then, since the Glens Falls group chose to hike there yesterday, and we went with them, the Cathedral Trail descent was cancelled. It was determined that we would add the bagging of Hamlin Peak to this hike to get the three 4,000 footers in Baxter on this trip. So I conceded in repeating this hike just the way I did this hike in 1979. Still always worth it. Maybe some year, I will get back to ascend the Cathedral Trail from Chimney Pond.

We climbed up to Pamola and lounged there and ate lunch. Afterwards we were ready for the Chimney. This is a sharp "V" cleft of about 100 feet that can be seen all the way from North Brother. Back on Sunday from north Brother, I pointed this out as "prepare for the wall". I personally believe this is the steepest non-technical hiking trail I have ever been on. We all could not believe how incredible this section of trail is. While descending Pamola, Dean realized his poles were a bit of a hindrance and chose to givee them a toss to the landing below. But a breeze caught them and they came flying by Eileen (uncomfortably too close) who was precariously hanging on the wall below. She certainly did not want to get hit by them or have her concentration distracted. Meanwhile, I am on the wall across from them ascending Chimney Peak, watching them amusingly, especially since she was blaming Alex for the pole toss.

Now after Chimney Peak comes the Knife Edge. This narrow path looks to me like the pictures of the Great Wall of China, but it goes along the cliff edges on both sides. Eileen was very apprehensive about this famed section of trail, but looking back on the experience, we all felt that the V-cliffs between Pamola and Chimney Peak were far more daunting. As i passed other hikers in the other direction, some were exhilarated by the experience and a couple were trembling with fear. This is not the place to be if you have a phobia of height and openness.

For a couple of months prior to the trip, I have been obtaining and giving advice about routes and hikes in the White Mountains. (Maybe someday I will post these reports of my White Mountain experiences on this forum.) So I have been a regular participant of the AMC website bulletin board and also the VFTT board. On these boards I have made friends with Carole, Chomps and Sherpa Kroto. We thought there was a chance for our paths to cross as they were doing a traverse of Katahdin from west to east, Hunt Trail up Katahdin and then Knife Edge and down the Helon Taylor Trail to Roaring Brook. I wasn't sure who I was looking for, but when I asked hikers that I past if they knew a "sherpa" they chuckled. When we arrived at Katahdin, there were maybe 30 people milling about. So I made an announcement, "Is anybody here Sherpa Kroto?". This brought laughs and yes he was there. Then I met the others and we took summit photos, exchanged handshakes and held pleasant conversation on top of Maine on a gorgeous afternoon.

But its time to go and we still have another summit to climb, lots of rocks to cross and views to savor. When we reached the Saddle, Alex, Dean & I were all set on bagging Hamlin, but Eileen wasn't so sure. This added more mileage and another climb. But when you see it right there, even though it is 2:45 PM and you are very tired, it becomes too irresistible. This is your chance. Yes, it is a long descent and you remember the long down hill from Chimney Pond yesterday with all those rocks, but what the heck, I have a flashlight. So Eileen went for it and we all got out just before dark. Just for the record, my altimeter showed a total elevation gain for the hike of 4,990 feet - and I wanted 5,000. WOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!