• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Back yard stunts

MR. evil

So Randi gave me permission to build some bike stunts in the back yard. I decided to build a few things to help me work on some skills that will help out on the trails when riding.

The first thing I built was a skinny bridge that is 10" wide. Right now I have it set up so we can ride up or down it from the deck. But it is not attached and I also plan on using this horizontally with some blocks under it for elevation. I figure I can easily add more blocks under it to make it higher as we get more confident. Riding this has already started to pay off. This morning on out ride I rode an 8" wide bridge that was about 20 to 30 feet long....and it turned several times! Greg and Brian also ride this bridge

Last edited:

MR. evil

The next thing I built were a couple of wider sections that we can use to practice drops and riding bridges. I also made this adjustable so I can add blocks under it to make it higher as we get better. My goal on this is to be able to do a wheely drop from a track stand right at the edge.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Nice work Tim, those look like fun. I'm sure they'll come in useful.

When are you building a teeter totter? ;)

MR. evil

Nice work Tim, those look like fun. I'm sure they'll come in useful.

When are you building a teeter totter? ;)

The skinny one has already improved my confidence. But I was riding off the drop for an hour yesterday and I still hesitated when doing that small drop on todays ride:roll:

A teeter totter is in the works.....that will take no time at all to make.I did these first becuase these were some of the things I wanted to work on right now

bvibert

Staff member
From the looks of it that's easily as tall as the drop on today's ride, if not bigger.

I could use some stunts like that in my yard to improve my skills. Of course I need to fix my bike first. :roll:

Greg

Staff member
when are you putting in the pump track? :lol:

Seriously, cool stuff.

MR. evil

when are you putting in the pump track? :lol:

Seriously, cool stuff.

Thanks....

Not sure I want to tear up that much of my yard with a pump track. But I am going to build a dirt jump

cbcbd

Cool stuff!!

If I ever had the room and yard I'd build a whole raised track with different widths and heights... Fun stuff... having to wheelie drop off a 1-2' wide bridge onto another one maybe 1' down... and then it gets narrower, 10"ish... fun fun

I'd also build a skinny with a sharp bend on it so I could practice the whole stopping and hopping the rear wheel into line.

But this is an awesome start... just keep searching for people giving away those pallets :)

Of course I need to fix my bike first. :roll:
And what did you do to your bike?

...and yeah, for some reason I can wheel drop a set of stairs about 3' high, but would freak out on a 3' ledge... I think my ledge wheel dropping balls are stuck around 1.5-2'. That's where the progressive wheel drop setup you have is nice. I think so much of mtb is measurably progressive... bigger drops, bigger wheelie drops, bigger bunny hops, bigger step ups, skinnier skinnies. Very easy to measure progress and confidence.

Trekchick

HEY!!!!! this is not discussion about Back Yard Stunts!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MR Evil, Looking forward to seeing the teeter totter.
the trick is in the balance, so it flops back in the original direction. That should be easy to find.

This is the wimpy one I posted, but its a great start, especially when you're head is playing games on heights.
n830505017_3736001_2973.jpg

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Don't go wasting your time cleaning up this thread. My frail ego can handle the slight thread drift.

It's no problem. I like to keep things organized when it's not too hard to separate the hi-jack anyway.

cbcbd

MR Evil, Looking forward to seeing the teeter totter.
the trick is in the balance, so it flops back in the original direction. That should be easy to find.
Plus, even if its off its easy to adjust it - just nail some more wood to whichever side you want to drop.

MR. evil

Plus, even if its off its easy to adjust it - just nail some more wood to whichever side you want to drop.

It might be bigger than some of the projects I have done at work, but think I should be able to design a teeter totter.

bvibert

Staff member
You know hijacks are fine with me. I just really wanted to give you some Chit. I feel better now :)

To further re-hijack; I usually leave hijacks alone unless I think the hijack might make a good thread on it's own, as I did in this case.