• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Evolution of a message board

Greg

Staff member
Touché. I take part in plenty of chatty banter myself, I suppose. Carry on.

Here's an interesting walk down memory lane to give some of the newer posters a feel for what things used to be like:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/3758-observation.html

I definitely feel some level of camaraderie is important, but I also feel that this site should remain a message board primarily instead of a chat room. There obviously needs to be a balance but I think still think post quality should take precedence.

Some will undoubtedly argue to not take things too seriously; it's only a message board, etc. I look at it differently. I feel AZ is more of a community than a forum. Many of us have met in person and I think this forum has attracted a lot of industry attention and participation. I really wouldn't like to see it lose any of that.

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts, both from long time members as well as newcomers. Do you prefer a forum with a higher signal-to-noise ratio, or one with a lot of insignificant banter? Or do you value somewhat thought-out posts? Do you feel the tone here has changed, and has it changed for the better or worse? Do you post more or less, as a result?

I definitely think the tone is shifting here lately. Summer slow-down maybe? Perhaps. I guess only time will tell.

I've been here for a little over a year... The AZ and SundayRiver forum are the only two that I frequent...or really have any interest in...found out about AZ through someone on SR. The SR forum is much slower, fewer posts, much less activity now that the ASC demise and new ownership transition is over...so I don't even hit it every day...I come here frequently each day. I came here for the discussions, opinions, etc of like minded individuals...while we're all different, we've all got skiing/riding in common. I'm a snow industry junkie and this helps feed my jones. I used to sell equipment at retail so each day at work would bring in new people to talk to about our shared sport...I haven't been on the retail sales floor for 7 years now and I miss the banter...the AZ is the best way I've found to fill that void...it keeps me talking to skiers and riders, I get to hear feedback on equipment, resorts, etc So that's what brought me here...and keeps me coming back...activity in the ski/board and gear forums...banter, humor, etc. GSS or other post whores won't drive me away...and trolls like our long lost buddy snowman only add to the excitement. Don't change a thing.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts, both from long time members as well as newcomers. Do you prefer a forum with a higher signal-to-noise ratio, or one with a lot of insignificant banter? Or do you value somewhat thought-out posts? Do you feel the tone here has changed, and has it changed for the better or worse? Do you post more or less, as a result?
I prefer a higher signal to noise ratio. The Misc forum is there for the banter. When threads digress, I opt out. Has the tone changed? I think so. AZ has always had a little more banter and noise compared to other northeast skiing forums. But it certainly feels like there is more noise than before. And not just GSS. I post more in the Misc forum now than I do in the skiing forum. Though that may be related to my recently getting hooked on golf :roll: We'll see what happens in the winter. Kind of hard to call during the summer when we have large shifts in who posts and who doesn't.

2knees

happy industry = moderator perks = happy moderators ;)

Lesson for moderators liking perks from industry, posting in a thread about how awesome it was watching someone in your group do huge airs off a CLOSED and roped off former big air jump doesn't make industry people happy. Especially when there's video of the big air jump poach in there too :eek:
nono.gif

http://forums.alpinezone.com/27008-mt-snow-4-17-08-a.html

that was so sick. he had to duck the rope at mach one to hit that.

so awesome.