• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seat/Saddle bags and what's in them

Trekchick

I've been the person on the trail with a little mishap, and I've read a few Trip Reports on this forum that suggests that others have, too.

I think we all know, its essential to have a saddle bag with a few essentials.

I have a Detour bag on my HT, as well as my FS, both of which have a multi-tool, tube patch kit, a flash light, a couple band aids, and Off Wipes.
7740.gif

I'll admit that I went "all girlie" on my SS, when I got the new saddle, and bought a complimentary saddle bag (white saddle and zebra print bag) that a guy would never get!
It is a tad smaller than my detour bags but still has room for a multi-tool band aids, and off wipes.
1798.gif

What kind of saddle/seat bag do you use and what's in it?

o3jeff

I only have a small one(have to check brand) that I can squeeze two tubes in. I did get a bigger hydration pack(well bigger space wise, but small hydration wise) that I carry tools, pumps, gps in

bvibert

Staff member
I have some old seat bag from the 90's on my bike. It's blue and I think it's made by Specialized. It was my bare essentials kit with a tube, multi-tool, tire levers, a few spare chain links, power link type thing, and a CO2 inflater. I've realized, however, that the inflater only works for schrader valves and I have presta so I'll need an adapter if I want to use it on my bike. I've also lost the tire levers that were in there, presumably from riding with it open by accident. :oops: I've been seriously considering removing it because it's kind of ugly and the crap rattling around in it gets annoying sometimes. Oh yeah, and the chain links and power link are for a 8 speed chain (my old bike) and are useless to me on my current bike. :spin:

I always wear a hydration pack that has a pump and another tube in it (I think there's a set of tire levers in there too), I could move the stuff from the seat bag into it.

Trekchick

I only have a small one(have to check brand) that I can squeeze two tubes in. I did get a bigger hydration pack(well bigger space wise, but small hydration wise) that I carry tools, pumps, gps in
Volklgirl has one of those hydration packs that has a significant back pack feature for tools and such. I call it her "Mary Poppins" bag, because when we need something she can pull it out.
Full first aid kit, pump, took kit, Food. I'm tellin ya, its amazing what she pulls out of there.:-o

Greg

Staff member
I can get everything in my hydration pack, but when I fill the 70 oz. bladder it does get tough to zip closed. I carry two tubes, a pump, patch kit, couple zip ties, roll of electrical tape, small strip of duct tape, multi-tool, extra chain link, tire levers. keys, wallet, cell phone, snack, GPS and extra GPS batteries. I think that's it.

o3jeff

I keep meaning to make up a first aid kit, now that i have the space I guess I have no reason not too. Any suggestion as to what it should include? band aids, alcohol prep pads?

Greg

Staff member
I can get everything in my hydration pack, but when I fill the 70 oz. bladder it does get tough to zip closed. I carry two tubes, a pump, patch kit, couple zip ties, roll of electrical tape, small strip of duct tape, multi-tool, extra chain link, tire levers. keys, wallet, cell phone, snack, GPS and extra GPS batteries. I think that's it.

Oh yeah - I carry a few band-aids and bandanna too. I think I might have a self adhering gauze pad too. I've been meaning to put some Advil in there too.

bvibert

Staff member
I forgot to list the first aid kit that I carry in my pack always. I just got one of those pre-made wilderness type kits. I think I got it on clearance a few years back at EMS, but they come up on SAC occasionally. I really need to go through mine a put some fresh supplies as all the medications, ointments, etc have expired and who knows how good the bandages are this point.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't have one, but that zebra and pink shag look nice. :D

Brian keeps trying to duff his off on me... I don't want that ugly thing any more than he does. :lol: I just carry stuff in my pack... though I haven't a clue what to do with any of it. :oops: I have some kind of bike multi-tool, 2 tubes (of the proper size), a small pump, an emergency space blanket, a Larabar, some GU, Cliff Shot Bloks (BTW, the food is sort of always in there but I never seem to eat it... it's a just in case thing), and a bandana. I keep meaning to add some first aid stuff, duct tape, and my Swiss Army knife, but... I never get around to it. :oops: I should probably add my headlamp, too. :p

Greg

Staff member
Oh yeah. Yup. I have a headlamp too. Mostly a just in case thing as it's not compatible with my helmet. More for if it gets so dark, I can't ride, but could walk out.

Trekchick

I don't have one, but that zebra and pink shag look nice. :D

Brian keeps trying to duff his off on me... I don't want that ugly thing any more than he does. :lol: I just carry stuff in my pack... though I haven't a clue what to do with any of it. :oops: I have some kind of bike multi-tool, 2 tubes (of the proper size), a small pump, an emergency space blanket, a Larabar, some GU, Cliff Shot Bloks (BTW, the food is sort of always in there but I never seem to eat it... it's a just in case thing), and a bandana. I keep meaning to add some first aid stuff, duct tape, and my Swiss Army knife, but... I never get around to it. :oops: I should probably add my headlamp, too. :p

The zebra and pink shag are on sale at Terry Cycles for 14.00. That's cheap!
You can get a multi tool and patch kit easy enough.
http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1798&c=On+Sale

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I have a great multi-tool. At least, Brian said it was a good one. I couldn't imagine patching a tire on the trail (hence why I carry 2 tubes). Then again, even though I've watched tubes changed a couple times now, I'm not sure I could do it either. :oops: What can I say? I'm an English major? :lol:

Hmmmm.... on sale, you say? :idea:

o3jeff

I have a great multi-tool. At least, Brian said it was a good one. I couldn't imagine patching a tire on the trail (hence why I carry 2 tubes). Then again, even though I've watched tubes changed a couple times now, I'm not sure I could do it either. :oops: What can I say? I'm an English major? :lol:

Me and Johnny really did make that tube change look pretty difficult the other day, especially when someone give you a 20" tube to put on.

Greg

Staff member

This is a great tutorial which covers how to change the tire and repair a tube:

http://bicycletutor.com/fix-flat-tire/

It makes the assumption you know how to remove the wheels. Here's a tutorial for that:

http://bicycletutor.com/remove-install-wheels/

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Two tubes, C02 inflator with 2 16g catridges, patch kit, road ID bracelet, tire levers.

I add my alien (multi tool) for mtb rides. On road rides, unless you crash hard, stuff usually doesn't brake, although I'm considering adding a small chain tool to the kit, because I have seen chains brake unexpectedly.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Me and Johnny really did make that tube change look pretty difficult the other day, especially when someone give you a 20" tube to put on.
:lol: It didn't look right to me before he handed it to you, but I figured, "What the heck do I know about this anyway?" so I didn't say anything. :lol:

It's not so much that I think it's a difficult task... it's just that until I actually do it, I don't think it's going to sink in. I get the general idea of it. I pretty much know the steps. But I need to actually do it.

I have taken the front wheel off but never the back, so that will be good to know, too.

Greg

Staff member
It's not so much that I think it's a difficult task... it's just that until I actually do it, I don't think it's going to sink in. I get the general idea of it. I pretty much know the steps. But I need to actually do it.

You're not going to hurt anything by practicing on a tire with a good tube.