• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saw this on TV

ctenidae

I'm all for a clean environment, longer winters (well, as long as there's good snow. Otherwise it's just cold.), and all, but the whole global warming issue bugs me. I have no doubt the average temperature has risen (what it, 2 degrees in teh past 200 years?), and I have no doubt if it keeps going up we'll have melting ice caps, rising sea levels, droughts, and all that nasty stuff.
The doubts I have involve what's actually causing it, if we're really having that much of an effect on it, and if there's really anything we can do. Studies sponsored by environmental groups say it's pollution, studies sponsored by industrial groups says it's natural, and government studies are split down the middle. Environmental groups use the Global Warming Boogieman to raise funds, industrial groups debunk it to save money, and government's pretty useless, overall.
It's unfortunate that groups have latched nto global warming as their centerpiece, since it's so ambiguous. It's doubly unfortunate that they have to to attract the public's attention.
I don't know where I'm going with this, exactly. Maybe instead of giving money to environmental groups, we should all pony up and buy more responsible products. Plastic is a wonderful thing, no doubt, but buy fewer individually packaged items, and reuse those "disposable" containers. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Buy products from companies that are trying, and soon those that aren't will change their ways. Vote with your dollars by buying responsibly, rather than sending those dollars off to pay for some lobbying group to take a Senator out to lunch.