• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stupid Newb questions

MR. evil

To Randi's credit she does rock the HT. As we ride more and more technical stuff I have offered to buy / build her a FS. She wants nothing to do with one. When we ride I ussually lead and tend to take smoother lines in the gnar so she can follow. But when ever I look back she is hitting the hard nasty line......I am beginning to think she is trying to make a point.

As to Pat's questions. A HT is a fine way to start out, and the prefered. You learn bike handling skills on HT that you don't have to on a FS. So starting out on a HT will make you a better rider. Seats take time to get used to, but go out and get yourself a pair of padded bike shorts. To save cash get a cheap pair of spandex ones and wear some baggy shorts over them. Platform pedals are fine, just not the POS ones that come stock on bikes. If you like platforms spend $30 on a good pair. I can send you a few links is you want.

gorgonzola

hard tail's the way to go - for most of us it has nothing to do with the size drops , the fs just makes it easier and more comfy. I've been riding recreationally quite a few years (20 or so) and just got a fs last year to ease some of the joint pain as i get older....let the bike take the bumps! make sure your seat is level, get some shammy shorts and just ride! when you get to a point the bike is holding you back from doing something or a component breaks, then upgrade....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stop drinking Greg's "Magic RAW Juice." You'll realize that you'll stop waking up in a fetal position a few yards of the trail too!

So that's what all the posts about RAW refer to. I knew it was something. Greg told me it meant Ride After Work, when in reality it's something entirely different.

MR. evil

One more thing......20" bike is too big for you. But seeing how you jump the thing you should be ok..

powbmps

Keep an eye out for Oakley shorts on SAC or chainlove. The Zoic ones are alright too.

Get one of these and you'll be good to go:

Last edited:

wa-loaf

My bike. I'm 5 10" and i bought a 20" frame. Apparently this may be way too big for me, any opinions?

What hasn't been mentioned yet, is when you stand over the top tube do you have a couple inches of space for your boys? You don't want to have to jump off and land on that top tube first. :-o

2knees

Keep an eye out for Oakley shorts on SAC or chainlove. The Zoic ones are alright too.

Get one of these and you'll be good to go:

fcuk yeah!

Wa-loaf, no i have to actually lean the bike over to put a foot down flat.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
doesnt matter, my wife keeps my balls in a pickle jar anyway. :lol:
Well, at least you won't have to worry about slamming them into the bar then. :p

Heck, I've slammed into the bar on my bike and that hurt (I have a men's bike)... I can only imagine what it must feel like for you guys! :eek:

wa-loaf

So when's he going for a ride with you guys? Someone's gotta take some video. It's sure to be a winner on America's Funniest Videos. :p

Trekchick

So when's he going for a ride with you guys? Someone's gotta take some video. It's sure to be a winner on America's Funniest Videos. :p
You get the video, I'll get the popcorn!
popcorn.gif