• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Base Lodge

amf

Everyone can go on at length about their favorite mtn, favorite run, etc etc.... what about your favorite base lodge? Not that I try to spend that much time in 'em, but a few have some nice qualities. Some of my favorites:

Best leather boot 'n hickory stick appeal: Belleayre (NY).

Best food: Blue Mtn (PA) - where else can you get pierogies at a ski area?

Best post-industrial atmosphere: Jay (VT) - love how the building shakes when the tram comes in. Magic (VT) comes in second - great institutional feel.

Best vibe: White Grass (WVa): hey, it may be a XC center now, but its based at a former DH area & you can still watch the tele folks earning their turns on the old main face from the base lodge. Runner up for best food.

Best view of the action: Carinthia base @ Mt Snow (VT) - love looking up into the maw of the halfpipe from the deck or inside.

Best overall: Loon (NH) takes my vote - beautiful, airy, open lodge, great fireplace.

Of course, I am limiting my picks to the east - its hard to compete with the Olympic size excess of the marble bathrooms at Snow Basin in Utah.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
best o best

- Best Architecture: Bretton Woods

- Hottest (temperature) Lodge: Loon

- Best Seat: The couch in front of the fireplace at the top of Cannon

- Lodge with easiest reach to the lift: Berkshire East. [Worst: Stowe Mansfield Lodge - only the strong survive]

- Midmountain Ski In/Ski Out - Loon Camp 3 Lodge

- Classiest: Gondo Lodge at Stowe (they pipe in classical music)

tirolerpeter

Best Base Lodge

If best means most beautiful, then Snowbasin is the prettiest I have ever seen. On the other hand, I like places that actually make you want to kick back, tuck your stuff into a cubby, and if you're cold, give you a roaring fire to thaw out near. Rustic is fine for me. I despise "services" like bag/ski checks, and (pathologically) valet parking that forces anyone else to drag their gear for hundreds of yards while they park the $$$$$ folk's SUV's right in front of the lodge!

deadheadskier

Staff member
My favorite lodge would be Bear Mountain at Killington. The only time I ever go to Killington is in April or later specifically to ski Outer Limits and hang out on the deck having a few beers.

Outside of that, I rarely if ever go into a lodge. I'm more the tailgating type, which was great today and Monday at Stowe.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
deadheadskier said:
My favorite lodge would be Bear Mountain at Killington. The only time I ever go to Killington is in April or later specifically to ski Outer Limits and hang out on the deck having a few beers.

Outside of that, I rarely if ever go into a lodge. I'm more the tailgating type, which was great today and Monday at Stowe.

Do you put your boots on in the parking lot too?Maybe that counts for a "lodge".

smootharc

My favorite.....???? The one with.....

....Suzy Chapstick and friends hanging by the fire....

:dunce:

awf170

overall i think there are better lodges out west, except for snowbird not sure if they even have base lodge, eveyone just sits outside on the patio

teqeeler

Out of the resorts i have been to in the east, bretton has the best base lodge i would say. but the only time i go into a lodge really is to do a number 2.

deadheadskier

Staff member
billski said:
deadheadskier said:

Do you put your boots on in the parking lot too?Maybe that counts for a "lodge".

yes I put my boots on at the parking lot

at Stowe there is a parking lot above the gondola which is great. very convenient for frequent tailgating stops - ski in, ski out access.

Who the heck wants to pay $4 for a slice of pizza these days or $6 for a beer at a lodge.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
priorities change

When you get older and your body slows you down, you are forced to change priorities. I'm learning to appreciate the fine art of relaxation that the Austrians do so well. They quit around 11am, get the best chair on the deck, brew in hand and catch some rays.

I'm a bit slower to start, never hit the first chair up anymore and never make it to the last chair. I'm not as fast as I think I am, but I still have a lot of fun.

Old Fart

deadheadskier

Staff member
Re: priorities change

billski said:
When you get older and your body slows you down, you are forced to change priorities. I'm learning to appreciate the fine art of relaxation that the Austrians do so well. They quit around 11am, get the best chair on the deck, brew in hand and catch some rays.

I'm a bit slower to start, never hit the first chair up anymore and never make it to the last chair. I'm not as fast as I think I am, but I still have a lot of fun.

Old Fart

well, I certainly don't have a problem relaxing in a beach chair in the parking lot with a cooler full of beer and a grill going. Its a very common site at Stowe. Very similar to 'the beach' at Arapahoe Basin in Colorado

bvibert

Staff member
Re: best o best

billski said:
...[Worst: Stowe Mansfield Lodge - only the strong survive]

You've got that right! They could use a surface lift just to get to the other lifts! ;)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

deadheadskier said:
billski said:

Old Fart

well, I certainly don't have a problem relaxing in a beach chair in the parking lot with a cooler full of beer and a grill going. Its a very common site at Stowe. Very similar to 'the beach' at Arapahoe Basin in Colorado

Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks and I'll take the other road. As I age, "hassle factor" becomes a critical language component. Ever wonder why you don't see too many over-60 skiers out there? I plan to buck that trend.

I've lived and worked long enough to be entitled to some benis and don't need to be cheap anymore - Let someone else provide the chairs, make my lunch, provide the heat and pickup the garbage. I like the view and the entertainment at the lodge, rather than a muddy lot full of exhaust fumes. Come to think of it, I prefer a porcelain toilet too. I only hold short at valet parking.

Parents sing a different tune too. If you "are one", you will always recall the days when it's 10:30 and you're still in your street clothes. You've attended to several iterations of: "my boots hurt", "I can't find my gloves", "Jimmy spilled hot cocoa on my pants", "I have to go to the bathroom", "I'm hungy", "I'm too hot", "My helmet doesn't fit". Not the kinda stuff you want to do in a parking lot, while keeping the 3-year old from being run-over. If not, you've got these precious days to look forward to.

So, I salute you deadheadskier and your crew for your vigor and tailgating, You've freed up an extra table for me in the lodge. Thanks! :)

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com

billski said:

Old Fart

Good Lord....I was skiing with a trail guide at whistler...she was 70 and kicking my A$$ down some bump runs...

They'll take me off the mountain in a pine box...Only time I have to come off early is when I get the younger girls and they're tired, or when the boy has outgrown another set of boot and I have to rent another pair (This is where season rentals come in handy...better check them out before we go tomorrow)..

Lodges huh...

Stowe...lots of old vermont character...so you get a warm up run to the lift

Top of the Notch..best Venison Stew..not to mention the views...ok, so it's not a base lodge..the chodwer is "top notch" as well

White Cap Base....well only because that means I'm at Sunday River

Snowdon...only because I lived there 1 season...and listened to margaritaville about 1,000 times...man those long trails were good...

And, I would imagine any Intrawest Lodge...

Know what though...best lodge I ever had was stashing a backpack on toll road the very first time to Stowe....in April....crack a brew and sandwich in bluebird skies...

And WHY do they keep the lodges so damn hot?

awf170

Brettski said:
And WHY do they keep the lodges so damn hot?

Never understood that, i know it is a nice temp if at home but when u have a few shirts on a ski pants and boots it is so hot. I hate it when u get into the lodge and u have to instantly start taking stuff of or you will have a heart stroke.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, here is my list.

BEST "old school," lots of character lodge: Burke's MidBurke lodge.

BEST Atmosphere: Pats Peak's main lodge.

BEST "Monster Lodge": Sunday River's South Ridge Center (man, it's like an airport! Cool!)

BEST 1960's Era Lodge: Mt Ellen Lodge at Sugarbush.

BEST view and windows: BEast's Lodge.

BEST Little Ski Area Lodge: Tie between Lyndon Outing Club and Ski Ward.

BEST "Modern" Lodge: Wachusett. Sunday River's North Peak Lodge is also cool...but it's not really a base lodge.

The lodge with the most potential: Tenney

Now the dreaded "worst" list:

WORST lodge (period): Sugarbush's Gate House Lodge (stay away...)

WORST for crowds: Any lodge at K-Mart :wink:

The lodge in WORST condition: Pico (nice place but real shopworn on my visits some time ago).

WORST table set up: Round tables at Lower Burke.

WORST for room: Nashoba. I couldn't figure out where to go with my stuff and brown bag lunch :blink:

hammer

I'm surprised that no mention of Crotched's lodge has been made yet.

While I don't mind the lodge at Crotched, I doubt it would make any "best lodge" lists...