Items on your 'to do' list that mess with your head... - Page 17

AlpineZone

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 161 to 170 of 170
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    lol, i dont make lists of things i wont do, i just huck them......
    speaking of hucking, when we going back to Highland?

    I may be riding Vietnam this weekend or next with some guys that know where all the fun stuff is, you intrested?

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    speaking of hucking, when we going back to Highland?

    I may be riding Vietnam this weekend or next with some guys that know where all the fun stuff is, you intrested?

    how can i bring myself to get back on that pos bike? i havent even looked at it since highland. actually, i have some halloween parties this weekend with the kids so i'm already booked. i'd love to check that place out though.

  3. #163
    Doubt it will happen this weekend, but should be able to get everyone together next weekend. It would be scary to get you and my trials buddies together, they are the one I will be going with.

  4. #164
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    And while it is a very small & lame rock feature, Brian is still too affraid to ride down it
    Try again pal, I slay that bitch every time I ride out that way.

    I must admit though, after seeing you almost kill yourself on it I thought it must be a lot harder than it looks for a few rides... Turns out there's nothing to it...
    Brian

  5. #165
    Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Thomaston, CT
    Posts
    31,083
    Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    lol, i dont make lists of things i wont do, i just huck them......
    You're my hero.
    I ski double black diamonds.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You're my hero.
    I already knew that, but thanks

  7. #167
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    This thread is funny to read back through.

    Personally I think I've gotten a lot better about just going for it and not over thinking it too much. Speed and no hesitation are often the key!

    A few days ago I rode Trumbull with a large group of animals. I thought I'd just tag along in the back and watch them do crazy stuff. Well they'd have none of that and encouraged me to try stuff that was outside of my comfort zone. I certainly didn't jump right into things, but I rolled 3 big rollers that I thought were beyond me after a little coaching on the right approach and what not (and maybe a couple of dry runs on the lead in). My heart was racing, but I felt great after each one! I also rode a few of techy sections that I may of balked at on my own, but since the group was just rolling right through I didn't really have a choice to stop. One section I remember in particular because the first time I rode there (a couple of months ago) we stopped and my guides explained the line and showed me what to do. I really had to convince myself to try it. On this ride I just did it, no planning, just go.

    It was a very confidence building ride, I can't wait to go back!

    One thing I want to work more on is going up stuff. There's a very steep rock up at the Rez that's probably 4 feet tall or so(?). When you're riding up to the rock it looks like a wall. Last year I started riding up to it like I was gonna try, but bailed at the last moment every time. This year I've ridden there twice. The first time I went for it and got right to the crest of top, but didn't give that little extra to get on top. The second time I knew to start pedaling once I got my front wheel up there, the rear tire slipped a couple of times, but I persisted and made it. Now my goal is to make it more cleanly, and do more stuff like that.
    Brian

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    This thread is funny to read back through.

    Personally I think I've gotten a lot better about just going for it and not over thinking it too much. Speed and no hesitation are often the key!

    A few days ago I rode Trumbull with a large group of animals. I thought I'd just tag along in the back and watch them do crazy stuff. Well they'd have none of that and encouraged me to try stuff that was outside of my comfort zone. I certainly didn't jump right into things, but I rolled 3 big rollers that I thought were beyond me after a little coaching on the right approach and what not (and maybe a couple of dry runs on the lead in). My heart was racing, but I felt great after each one! I also rode a few of techy sections that I may of balked at on my own, but since the group was just rolling right through I didn't really have a choice to stop. One section I remember in particular because the first time I rode there (a couple of months ago) we stopped and my guides explained the line and showed me what to do. I really had to convince myself to try it. On this ride I just did it, no planning, just go.

    It was a very confidence building ride, I can't wait to go back!

    One thing I want to work more on is going up stuff. There's a very steep rock up at the Rez that's probably 4 feet tall or so(?). When you're riding up to the rock it looks like a wall. Last year I started riding up to it like I was gonna try, but bailed at the last moment every time. This year I've ridden there twice. The first time I went for it and got right to the crest of top, but didn't give that little extra to get on top. The second time I knew to start pedaling once I got my front wheel up there, the rear tire slipped a couple of times, but I persisted and made it. Now my goal is to make it more cleanly, and do more stuff like that.
    Come do a play ride with Me, Trev & Jamie at Case. Tons of stuff to roll up & down of various sizes / risk. GREAT place to work on bike skills. The more you work on these skills the more fun you have on trails rides as you worry about things less and just go for it.

    As for going up stuff, Jamie's (or as we call him Yoda) montra is "F*%$ the bars". Right before you get to the top, thrust your hips forward towards the bars and it gives you an extra little boost to make it up. Trev and I play a little game on a small 3 foot rock face up at Case. We see who can make it up the thing starting the closet to it. It take alot of upper body unglish and a god F the bars, but we can now both get up that face starting almost right at the bottom. I have also recently found steep ups are much easier on the HT, less energy lost in the suspension.
    Last edited by MR. evil; Jun 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM.

  9. #169
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    I do need to make it back to Case. I'm not sure on a full on play ride though. I still like to get some pedaling in. The last play ride I went on was a little too much sessioning for me. That was the good thing about the Trumbull ride, we got plenty of techy stuff, but not much in the way of sessioning. That group just kept moving, fast! I suppose the play rides are where you really make progress though...
    Brian

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I do need to make it back to Case. I'm not sure on a full on play ride though. I still like to get some pedaling in. The last play ride I went on was a little too much sessioning for me. That was the good thing about the Trumbull ride, we got plenty of techy stuff, but not much in the way of sessioning. That group just kept moving, fast! I suppose the play rides are where you really make progress though...
    The last time you went with us, you pretty much just watched the whole time, that would get pretty booring fast for anyone. Now that you are getting more adventurous on the bike it would be a lot less watching and much more doing. You would also be suprosed how much enegery play rides take. I am ussually more tired after a 3 hour play ride at Case than a 2 hour trail ride. You end up using your entire body on the play rides, some of the stuff takes a lot of upper body imvolement


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.