• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The bike weight thread

awf170

Just sort of curious of what everyone's bike weighs in at.

My bike (Iron Horse MKIII Comp) is 31.5 pounds. It would probably be under 30 pounds with lighter tires (currently a 2.5 in the front and 2.35 in the back). IMO, beefier tires are worth the weight though.

You?

Greg

Staff member
Based on the uber-accurate digital bathroom scale method, my Trek Fuel EX 7 is a bit under 29 lbs. There's some mud on it now which is undoubtedly weighing it down. :razz:. The bike is stock.

bvibert

Staff member
I haven't got an effing clue, it's a lot light than my fat ass, I know that. ;)

Wow I didn't realize bikes weighed that much..my last bike was a neon orange marin back in college which I bought used for $150..no shocks but it was a mountain bike,,,

BigJay

My bike is 28lbs. It's considered lightweight for an all-mountain 5,5in travel bike with 20mm thru-axle... A few weight weenies say that a few changes could bring it down to 27lbs... but do i really want all that carbon!

I run 2,25-2,35 UST tires on crossmax wheels and the weight difference between the stock FR wheel and regular tire is amazing... There is a 1,5kg difference (3lbs) in the wheels alone... Made the bike a whole lot faster... But JD doesn't need that... slowing him down is a good thing!

Trekchick

I thought the liquid was around 31, but chet put it on his scale and said it was 38.

I should check it again.

I have some stuff coming that will lighten the Attitude up a bit. I'll let you know the results.
:)

MR. evil

I thought the liquid was around 31, but chet put it on his scale and said it was 38.
QUOTE]

I really doubt it is 38lbs, your scale may be off a bit. My bike is now basically a heavy duty 6" AM / FR bike and it is only 34lbs. With some lighter wheels and tires I should be able to get it closer to 31lbs. But that will be as light as I can go with out effecting stregnth and performace. I could easily have under 30lbs if I swaped out my adjustable seat post for the stock one and replaced my DHX coil for an air shock. But there is no way either of those things are coming off my bike. The adjustable seat post makes riding the gnarly stuff so much more fun, and the DHX coil is so much better and reliable than any air shock.

Plus adding weight in those places (center of the bike) are the areas that least effect a bike. Rotational weight (tires and wheels) makes the most difference. An overall heavier bike with lighter tires and wheels will feel lighter while riding and be quicker than a lighter bike with heavier tires and wheels.

Trekchick

Trek 4900 HT = 28.7 lbs
Trek Liquid25 FS = 38 lbs
Klein Attitude SS = 22lbs

38? damn, you sure?

22, need to get that lighter,

I should check it again.

I have some stuff coming that will lighten the Attitude up a bit. I'll let you know the results.
:)

I weighed the Liquid on my scale. Chets must be off, because I come in at 34 lbs on the liquid.
That had me curious about the Attitude since it was weighed on their scale.
The Klein is 21 lbs, after I put the computer and light kit on it.
I'll take the light off when I weigh in for the Official weight ;)

BigJay

Yeah, your liquid shoudl be lighter... I had an Intense M1 DH bike that weight 38.5lbs... and that's 4-5 years ago! It had full XTR, Dorado and UST tires... Sweeeeeet stuff.... I dream of owning such a nice bike again... but then again, i had only one or 2 bikes back then... now i got 5... but all togheter not worth much more then the M1! lol!

awf170

QUOTE]

I really doubt it is 38lbs, your scale may be off a bit. My bike is now basically a heavy duty 6" AM / FR bike and it is only 34lbs. With some lighter wheels and tires I should be able to get it closer to 31lbs. But that will be as light as I can go with out effecting stregnth and performace. I could easily have under 30lbs if I swaped out my adjustable seat post for the stock one and replaced my DHX coil for an air shock. But there is no way either of those things are coming off my bike. The adjustable seat post makes riding the gnarly stuff so much more fun, and the DHX coil is so much better and reliable than any air shock.

Plus adding weight in those places (center of the bike) are the areas that least effect a bike. Rotational weight (tires and wheels) makes the most difference. An overall heavier bike with lighter tires and wheels will feel lighter while riding and be quicker than a lighter bike with heavier tires and wheels.

6 inches of travel now? I thought that frame was only built for 5 inches?

And about tires, even though it is rotational mass and hence it feels extra heavy I really think it is worth it. Any extra contact area is well worth the weigh penalty, IMO.

Greg

Staff member
I don't have a whole lot to compare it to, but my bike seems pretty well balanced. I can get it to really accelerate if I want it to, but it isn't skittish, nor does it want to pull up much on climbs. It's a pretty secure and stable ride which is great for me given I'm new to this.

However, I rode Jeff's low 20's loaner and that thing is amazing at acceleration. You can drop it into a higher gear than normal and it just flies. I only rode it for about 60 seconds though on some flat and non technical terrain. I don't know how it rides on some of the sketchy stuff or when climbing.

Trekchick

As a quiver pick:
SS for tight twisties and rippin
FS for down hills and rugged trail where wash outs and roots are prominent.
HT for those in between times when you're not sure what the day is going to offer.

Greg

Staff member
As a quiver pick:
HT for those in between times when you're not sure what the day is going to offer.

You haven't ridden out here, have you? Our rides are usually a mix, and my bike seems to do it all pretty well.

awf170

As a quiver pick:

Maybe I'm just not a good gear whore... but I would rather combine the cost of those 3 bikes and have one 32ish pound FS bike with 6 inches of travel. But then again I don't ever ride stuff that isn't technical so I can't really compare.