• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winding Trails (Farmington CT) - Sunday 8/31

MRGisevil

I've been volunteered to lead a mountain bike ride at my company function this year so I took a trip out to Winding Trails this morning to scope the place out and see if I could get a good course in mind. I didn't want to accidentally send my co-workers and their kids off a cliff or something, so scouting was essential.

Happily enough, I only found 2 (count them, two) trails that could actually be considered "difficult": the point where you take a left out of the parking lot and head toward West Hartford Rez, and the point where you take a right out of the parking lot and head toward Nassahegan.

Winding Trails is very bland. If you are accustomed to rocky, ragged and technical, this place isn't for you. But I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone who's new to the sport. The trails are nice and wide open, the trail system revolves in one big loop succession so there's no getting lost and nary a bit of climbing in sight (ok, there are hills, but they're quite tame compared to places like Bachelor St. and the Rez, and a good way to build up lung tolerance and stamina).

So yes, I was a bit bored and am currently trying to drag old man Timmy out to B. St. on a ride after my warm up- but one good thing did come out of it; if I encounter any new folk who want a nice leasurely place to get on a bike and ride I will definately recommend Winding Trails.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Definitely not a hardcore place. Though they do offer weekly ride sessions, IIRC, and they had a MTBing Triathalon this summer, which is pretty cool.

Sorry you were bored!

bvibert

Staff member
Don't you have to pay to get in there? Or is that somewhere else that I'm thinking of?