• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2008 Ski Swaps

tcharron

Nashua Exchange Club
Nashua High School - South
Friday, Nov 28, 2008 through Sunday, Nov 30, 2008
Drop-offs taken Wednesday, Nov 26.

http://www.nashuaexchangeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=35099&module_id=22441

Last year they had Zimmerman's selling new stuff as well. Not sure if that will be the case this year.

I've sold a number of items there...there's a nominal per-item charge for dropping stuff off and the Exchange Club takes 20% off of the sale price.

Yes, Zimmermans will also be there again this year. Just left Zimmermans in south Nashua. Is it really 20%? I thought it was like 10% or something like that.

hammer

Yes, Zimmermans will also be there again this year. Just left Zimmermans in south Nashua. Is it really 20%? I thought it was like 10% or something like that.
Any good deals to be had? My son needs a new helmet...

Yes, the Exchange Club does take a 20% cut. I've never had any problems selling stuff there, though.

tcharron

Yes, the Exchange Club does take a 20% cut. I've never had any problems selling stuff there, though.

Doubt it, at least on helmets. If I remember correctly tho, Ken Jones (or whatever they are calling themselves now. Snowboard Jones?) in Nashua had a few kids helmets on discount from last year for like 20-30 bucks. Been at least two weeks since I looked there tho.

hammer

Doubt it, at least on helmets. If I remember correctly tho, Ken Jones (or whatever they are calling themselves now. Snowboard Jones?) in Nashua had a few kids helmets on discount from last year for like 20-30 bucks. Been at least two weeks since I looked there tho.
Thanks...my son's 16 so a kid's helmet is not an option. Unfortunately, at this time of the year, I will likely have to suck it up and pay retail...:???:

tcharron

Thanks...my son's 16 so a kid's helmet is not an option. Unfortunately, at this time of the year, I will likely have to suck it up and pay retail...:???:

Probably. If you have a good idea on size, can prolly get some really nice online deals. Or, as the thread is meant for, get a used one at a swap. But I've personally always been iffy about used helmets.

tcharron

Greg

Staff member
Sundown swappers - how'd you make out? I sold my wife's old skis and my old boots for a Ben Franklin a piece. My wife old boots at $25 didn't sell which surprised me since they were in great shape, just old. I guess you never know what will go. The line to collect money today was insane too, but worth it for a cool $160 (ski patrol takes 20%).

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You saw me Greg... boots (which were priced at $30 and only had about 30 days on them) did not sell, nor did the Joyriders. I had a feeling the Joyriders wouldn't go though; I doubt there are many people looking for advanced skis at swaps. The Novas went.. so I made $96 after the 20%. And I hightailed it out of there... it was a zoo!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I went to the Cochran's Swap on Saturday in Richmond and it was quite disappointing. Others I talked with had the same impression. High prices for equipment that was not in good shape. Not much for equipment choices. Ski retailers that were there wanted too much for their stuff. It was crowded and hot. Lines for the checkout were over 30 minutes long. Not a good sale IMHO. :(

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Acton Ski and Skate

Does anybody know if Acton Lions Club ski swap is happening this year?
Usually it is this time of the year but their calendar doesn't mention anything and their swap page is still from 2007.

http://www.actonlions.org/SkiAndSkate.htm

I drive through Acton Mon-Friday. There was a billboard at the corner of Rte 27 today. It said "Ski and Skate" swap, November 21-22. I didn't have time to write down anymore, I will look again Tuesday.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

You have to be there REAL EARLY to get the good stuff. Lots of obsolete gear. There are also several vendors, but I didn't see anything that was a real deal.

If you want a helmet, and they do have a lot, get there EARLY, or you'll choosing between size 2 or size 16 or the one with the crack in it.

The problem I have with swaps is that if you don't have an encyclopedic memory of skis and models of skis (not so much boards), you will be handicapped in picking out something good. I brought about 5 years worth of gear reviews with me last time and still walked out with nothing. The vendors want to steer you to their stuff, which is fine for Joe average who skis 3 days a year or nashoba nights....

Good deal for poles though....

hiroto

I drive through Acton Mon-Friday. There was a billboard at the corner of Rte 27 today. It said "Ski and Skate" swap, November 21-22. I didn't have time to write down anymore, I will look again Tuesday.

Thanks bill! Nice to know they are on. For such a big event, it always kills me how slow they are on updating their site with the info. It is really bad this year that it is not even posted yet on their calendar and it is less than a week away.

hammer

You have to be there REAL EARLY to get the good stuff. Lots of obsolete gear. There are also several vendors, but I didn't see anything that was a real deal.

If you want a helmet, and they do have a lot, get there EARLY, or you'll choosing between size 2 or size 16 or the one with the crack in it.

The problem I have with swaps is that if you don't have an encyclopedic memory of skis and models of skis (not so much boards), you will be handicapped in picking out something good. I brought about 5 years worth of gear reviews with me last time and still walked out with nothing. The vendors want to steer you to their stuff, which is fine for Joe average who skis 3 days a year or nashoba nights....

Good deal for poles though....
If Zimmerman's will be there, I may be able to pick up some new gear even though I doubt there will be a discount.

I'll go early on Friday anyway, even if all I do is some window shopping...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Acton Ski and Skate Swap

Thanks bill! Nice to know they are on. For such a big event, it always kills me how slow they are on updating their site with the info. It is really bad this year that it is not even posted yet on their calendar and it is less than a week away.

OK, here is what I wrote down. I hope I got it correct:
Nov 21-23
Conant School
Dropoff Friday 8-2, 5-8
Sat. 11-4
Sun 10-2

Do you know if you can buy on Friday? I want to be an earlybird...

hiroto

OK, here is what I wrote down. I hope I got it correct:
Nov 21-23
Conant School
Dropoff Friday 8-2, 5-8
Sat. 11-4
Sun 10-2

Thanks bill! I think you are a little off here. The schedule last year was like below, so I would expect them to be the same this year.

Friday 5:00PM - 8:00PM Equipment Drop Off
Saturday 8:00AM - 10:00AM Equipment Drop Off
Saturday 11:00AM - 4:00PM Sale
Sunday 10:00AM - 2:00PM Sale
Do you know if you can buy on Friday? I want to be an earlybird...

I'm positive that you cannot buy on Friday.